230 replies to this topic

#181 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

@OP. Here, here! This game pretty much hasn't changed since closed beta. And the new additions such as faction warfare were halfassed affairs bolted on so they could say "we did it.".

If it wasn't for the Mechwarrior brand, and this being one of the few games non-MMO you can get a big group of friends playing, this game would be dead.

#182 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

this game leaves me feeling like a dev testing out mechs and mechanics and what not,on simple maps.instead of a player satisfied from playing a complete game.

#183 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 27 May 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

As opposed to developing a game with multiple Ai//missions//objectives, Ai that are very different from each other, that need to interact with the map and human players, that can think enough to fight you, need to use skill sets need to be able to control vehicles. Developing story lines, quests, levels, player progression, etc,ect.
You really cant see what a difference that is?
PvP game with a vehicle, on a map controlled by a player takes really really minimal developing, as compared to a game with a large Ai pressence.

They're working on a lot of that. Until now they've been bogged down with back-filling, much of it done at the demand of the players (map fixes, mech fixes, better matchmakers, player tutorial, etc.). They're just now getting to the point where they can really start dreaming again. Unfortunately, they're using that point to create Solaris, which is a totally redundant feature whose E-sports proponents amongst the fanbase already have in the form of the current gamemodes.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 29 May 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#184 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

View PostFemale Body Inspector, on 27 May 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

Wall of text
About elite, subscription,Fw and engines

Hear hear
If the subscription cost wouldn't be too high I may even let it continue while having a break, and later adding stuff when I come back
But for the prices right now and the "progress", no thanks

And alas how funny is it that elite can do better while being so small as well

The idea of a huge map being fought over by many, assisted by AI vehicles sure sounds like what people where hoping for in the beginning for CW/FW

#185 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

OP surely hasn't played much f2p's, they are usually WAY more buggy, and communication, wow theres tons of communications by the MWO devs.

I have seen so many games, and played them, and given how the average f2p works within these criteria i am happy its "medicore" because accross most f2p's you would be happy if you would find such levels.

#186 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 30 May 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

OP surely hasn't played much f2p's, they are usually WAY more buggy, and communication, wow theres tons of communications by the MWO devs.

I have seen so many games, and played them, and given how the average f2p works within these criteria i am happy its "medicore" because accross most f2p's you would be happy if you would find such levels.

While you may be right that there are worse games, we should look at the success stories of F2P games and look at what made them what they are.

I've played LoL, World of Tanks and Path of Exile all fairly early in their development and have seen all 3 games rise in popularity, gain features and content.

They all had bugs and were in places very unpolished. Especially when you look at WoT, it had even less polish and felt much less of a quality product at the start than MWO had in Beta.

The thing that all 3 have that MWO to this day does not is vision.

In all 3 games the devs knew what they wanted their game to be, what they wanted it to feel like and they focused on that core, on the mechanics and the gameplay. This gave them a feeling of a great game in an unpolished package, while MWO feels like a lackluster game in a CryEngine coat (not that shiny looking these days).

Even now, the way the maps are done and PGI's balance efforts (LOL) show that they do not know what to do with this game, there is no central vision.

Almost all of the things that bug people: the balance problems, the maps, the lack of social and FW content, the poorly implemented then forgotten mechanics - they are all signs of this problem.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 30 May 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#187 Fantastic Tuesday

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:50 AM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 30 May 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

The thing that all 3 have that MWO to this day does not is vision.

Exactly. The game does not feel like it is going anywhere. What can we look forward to in the coming year? Check out the latest road map and all we see are some (admittedly nice) quality-of-life improvements, a new monetisation feature that no one cares about (where the hell are decals? Sound packs? Custom pilot skins?) and a few attempts at ruining things that have been in the game for years (Frozen City, Assault gamemode). Oh and this farce of a tournament.

The game is in maintenance mode. This would be fine if there was anything compelling to do in this game beyond play 12vs12 deathmatch with staggering waiting times (single/group queue) or 12vs12 deathmatch with even worse waiting times (CW). People have been asking for Solaris for years and it has always been 'around the corner.' Same applies to singleplayer/PVE and any game modes that aren't deathmatch with distractions.

I'll say it again. The game is in maintenance mode. Only a significant improvement in enthusiasm from the developers will reverse the steady decrease in this game's playerbase.

#188 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

View PostMrMilkshake, on 24 May 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Before i start, pass the salt.
Why PGI? Why are you so painfully average? Why after all these years, after all the money and good will that's been sent your way do we still have to put up with this unfinished buggy, laggy *** mess of a game?

Your communication with your player base is woefully inadequate, to the point where people feel like they get better feedback shouting at parked cars. The town hall meetings have been farsical, going from a boy's club piss up at OUR expense. To a moody hour of questions that never get answered properly.

Your game maps are repetatively themed and quite frankly, terrible in there quantity for a game thats supposedly been out for this long. Most communities who have access to map making tools can throw out a decent one in a day or two, yet we have "tournament" maps that are still un-skinned!!?? Shame on you for putting this tripe out to your community.

Your attempts at faction war "BETA" (the whole thing still feels like its in Beta) are lack-luster. Maps are not balanced to take into account the strength and weakness of each side. The queue system is just plain broken still, after all this time. We wait and wait and wait some more. Hell, in the public drops we wait when we first click play, then we wait for the map choice, then we wait while we see the animated map selection and game mode, then we wait till the game loads....then we have to wait once more for everyone to ready up. This is PANTS !!

Friggin Hit detection, honestly one of the things that can make all the other problems magnify ten fold. Why do I bother running ultra 10's when I watch half of my rounds (sometimes) pass straight through enemy players ?

So where does this leave us? Nowhere. Nothing meaningful will change in any reasonable amount of time. It never has in the past, there's zero reason to think it will in the future. You'll continue to pump out beautifully designed and crafted mechs into buggy broken architecture, and we will continue to buy them behind gritted teeth.

I continue to play only because its mechwarrior. Not because PGI are any sort of decent games company. There is no good will left. I know others feel the same. I almost wish that Microsoft takes the licence back from you and give it to a company who is more deserving. Then whats left for you? Nothing. No game. No good will. Nothing. And if that does happen, you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

This was as pointless an exercise as any other forum post. I have wasted the time of myself and anyone else who has read this diatribe. But I was tired of shouting at parked cars.

Compared to CIG.. PGI looks pretty good

#189 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 25 May 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

Please point me in the direction of another Mechwarrior/battletech fps/sim, that is hopefully doing better and isn't older than a decade
And I'll be gone yesterday
And I'm sure everyone who is a Mechwarrior fan would be gone as well

If it weren't for the ip

Hope the cash for battletech by Hairbrained was worth it
But at least they're track record is way better

Point being if you are not part of the "solution" you are just another part of the "problem". He confessed, which I quoted, to not being here to help, so he may go anywhere and will likely will be better off mentally. Sounds like might be too. Stressing over a video game is known not be healthy...

Edited by Almond Brown, 31 May 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#190 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

Thread still going strong. This is why PGI only uses Twitter so people can't berate them because 140 characters wouldn't be enough.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 31 May 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#191 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

It's now been a year since I stopped playing after finishing in the top 8 in MLMW. Game is still exactly the same awkward, bumbling, repetitive, mess.

#192 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 24 May 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

As a Dentist I have to recommend that you stop. Stop gritting your teeth, it's bad for you.

As a Founder, I also have to recommend you stop. Stop putting money into the game.

Sure, people will cry out..."OH NOES....we have to spend money , it's all we've got", they are the ones enabling such half-arsed progress. Choke the cash flow a bit everyone, let's see if that gets their attention.

(Ain't gonna happen, I know, but I can dream)

I stopped funding after Clan wave 3 as well.

Too little progress.

Give me a Free-For-All play mode and MAYBE I'll think about it.

#193 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 24 May 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Ohhh and pls someone come tell us its all IGPs fault, the other default excuse...

I'm starting to think that IGP was the one moving the content. enforcing deadlines.

#194 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostMycrus, on 31 May 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Compared to CIG.. PGI looks pretty good

Compared to a Yugo, A Pinto looks pretty good.

Both still suck.

#195 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostFantastic Tuesday, on 31 May 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

Exactly. The game does not feel like it is going anywhere. What can we look forward to in the coming year? Check out the latest road map and all we see are some (admittedly nice) quality-of-life improvements, a new monetisation feature that no one cares about (where the hell are decals? Sound packs? Custom pilot skins?) and a few attempts at ruining things that have been in the game for years (Frozen City, Assault gamemode). Oh and this farce of a tournament.

The game is in maintenance mode. This would be fine if there was anything compelling to do in this game beyond play 12vs12 deathmatch with staggering waiting times (single/group queue) or 12vs12 deathmatch with even worse waiting times (CW). People have been asking for Solaris for years and it has always been 'around the corner.' Same applies to singleplayer/PVE and any game modes that aren't deathmatch with distractions.

I'll say it again. The game is in maintenance mode. Only a significant improvement in enthusiasm from the developers will reverse the steady decrease in this game's playerbase.

I think "maintenance mode" fits perfectly. It seems that only minor stuff is done. The exceptions are mechpacks...which are used to milk the cash cow further.

Most likely they assume that Harebrained's Battletech game will be the deathblow to MWO.

And no, I won't buy any more mechpacks before I see a light at the end of the tunnel (most likely it will be a train, though)

Edited by Bush Hopper, 31 May 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#196 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostFantastic Tuesday, on 31 May 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

Maintenance mode wouldn't even include the features you just listed. It would literally include nothing but mechpacks, with most engineering staff let go to save on costs and maximize revenue.

I agree that some big new things are required (and not Solaris). I just think small staff is a factor in the game's slowness.

#197 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 31 May 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Thread still going strong. This is why PGI only uses Twitter so people can't berate them because 140 characters wouldn't be enough.

I'm just happy that people can discuss this without trying to Smash their minds into other people's opinions by insulting them.

#198 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 31 May 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

I'm just happy that people can discuss this without trying to Smash their minds into other people's opinions by insulting them.

The white knights have been behaving haven't they. Or they aren't as white as they used to be. Either way works for me.

#199 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

The only way for us to get anything to change, I mean really change, is to stop paying. I've done that, so can you.

#200 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 31 May 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

I just think small staff is a factor in the game's slowness.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users