Frozen 'mech In Combat!?

18 replies to this topic

#1 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

I was just in a match and when to scout and find some locks for a friendly LRM30 user when suddenly my 'Mech froze. I couldn't walk, turn, or rotate my turret. I couldn't fire weapons, power-down, or anything. My 'Mech was completely unresponsive, but I wasn't DC because within seconds I began to take damage and was killed, and everyone around me was moving normally.
Up to that point, I hadn't taken any damage whatsoever, and nobody had even taken a shot at me.

Can someone please explain what that was? I'm pissed! I wait for five minutes to get into a match and that crap occurs!? Come on!

Edited by Apsyc, 25 May 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

Could be your connection. I know mine'll hang in the middle of a match from time to time, and it's always a connection issue on my side. Course, you could be having a competely different issue, but that's what it sounds like to me.

~Leone.

#3 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostLeone, on 25 May 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Could be your connection. I know mine'll hang in the middle of a match from time to time, and it's always a connection issue on my side. Course, you could be having a competely different issue, but that's what it sounds like to me.

~Leone.

I'd be really surprised because I've never had that happen. I only DC rarely and when I do it's a complete DC and not just my UL stream. The weather outside right now is really nice too and usually I only get knocked out when it's wet because the local techs don't know how to properly weatherproof the amplifiers.

I'm really confused as to why my upload was down (if this is server-side. If it's client-side I'm completely vexed), but not my download.

#4 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWith the Golden Foxes

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

Same. I'd say connection issue as well.

I've DC'd before and most of the time its complete but a couple time it kept me connected. Only happened to me a couple times, but just as you described. Only difference with me was the mech kept moving forward. Couldn't stop it or control it.

Right into the middle of the enemy force.

Good times.

Reminded myself it's just a game, doesn't happen enough to bother me and I moved on.

Of course I have never waited 5 minutes for a quick play match.

Edited by SkavenDC, 25 May 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#5 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostSkavenDC, on 25 May 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Same. I'd say connection issue as well.

I've DC'd before and most of the time its complete but a couple time it kept me connected. Only happened to me a couple times, but just as you described. Only difference with me was the mech kept moving forward. Couldn't stop it or control it.

Right into the middle of the enemy force.

Good times.

Reminded myself it's just a game, doesn't happen enough to bother me and I moved on.

Of course I have never waited 5 minutes for a quick play match.

Well with the queue, loading, map and mode vote, more loading, lobby while people ready-up, for my it adds up to five to seven minutes. I just wanted to know what it was. If it's a connection issue, I'm guessing it's some kind of server desync or something else on the server's end since it doesn't try to eject you. Either that or a bug in the client that doesn't take input. It still streams to the server, so no desync is detected and therefore no ejection. This, imo, seems more likely unless the server doesn't have a timeout system (which would be odd).

#6 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostApsyc, on 25 May 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Should I contact the lawfirm of Segal, Cohen, and Smith? Am I entitled to a settlement without having to file a lawsuit? Should I call 1-800-BAD-GAME?

I just had a mental image of the law firms getting mechs and painting them like ambulances with light and sirens and running around the maps, chasing players and asking them if they've been hurt by PGI.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostApsyc, on 25 May 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Should I contact the lawfirm of Segal, Cohen, and Smith? Am I entitled to a settlement without having to file a lawsuit? Should I call 1-800-BAD-GAME?

Dude, Yica is trolling you. As in epically trolling you.

There's people that do it pretty often.
Trust me, as much as I'd like to see a better developer using the Mechwarrior franchise, there's nothing that is going to happen to PGI that'll have things start shutting down. They're drowning in money from people preordering mechs and the stream is pretty steady.

Recent connection issues:
http://mwomercs.com/...nnection-issues

And an incoming hotfix, scheduled fairly soon.
http://mwomercs.com/...ed-for-05252016

#8 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

I got a feeling that Apsyc realizes what is going on.

I have only been here since January (this time) and have come to know Koniving as one of the most helpful people here.

Yes, the game has some issues and PGI may or may not be the best people for this. That said, I do believe that they are trying (as I put on my own tinhat) to make a game that satisfies the greater majority of people. Some of them will not be happy. That's just the nature.

Just like Terceil in the other thread, I have put $20 into the game this month. About $100 since I started. So far I am happy with the value I have gotten. I control how much I pay for this game.

Also, the game may go down.....eventually. It's not happening today and it's not happening tomorrow.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostApsyc, on 25 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

I was just in a match and when to scout and find some locks for a friendly LRM30 user when suddenly my 'Mech froze. I couldn't walk, turn, or rotate my turret. I couldn't fire weapons, power-down, or anything. My 'Mech was completely unresponsive, but I wasn't DC because within seconds I began to take damage and was killed, and everyone around me was moving normally.
Up to that point, I hadn't taken any damage whatsoever, and nobody had even taken a shot at me.

Can someone please explain what that was? I'm pissed! I wait for five minutes to get into a match and that crap occurs!? Come on!

I have NEVER seen that before. Best I can offer is, that I suspect it was a one-off connection issue. As has been suggested elsewhere above.

I'd go ahead and run the repair tool, while you're at it. Can't hurt. Then run traceroutes to mwomercs.com, google.com, yahoo.com, and a few others, to see if you're having any problems along the way if even intermittently.

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostSkavenDC, on 25 May 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

I just had a mental image of the law firms getting mechs and painting them like ambulances with light and sirens and running around the maps, chasing players and asking them if they've been hurt by PGI.

Full credit to SpOoKy777
Spoiler

~Leone

#11 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts
  • LocationEating your cake while you're not looking.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostLeone, on 25 May 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

Full credit to SpOoKy777
Spoiler

~Leone

That is seriously amazing.

Edit: What was that ylca had said awhile back about there being a lack of fan created content? :)

Edited by GLaDOSauR, 25 May 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#12 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostSkavenDC, on 25 May 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Only if they are Urbies. We'd finally have flashing cop style lights on our Urbies! :)

Or.. Urbilances!

#13 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

I've experienced a similar issue in Faction PLay. My mech will drop on the planet, but the mech selection screen showing all the players and their status/remaining drops with remain on screen. This prevents me from moving, sometimes for several minutes.

#14 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

I've only hit the current load screen/dc bug a couple times and they are patching that. Otherwise can probably count the number of DC's on one hand this year.

What IS odd and I thought I'd see if it happens to others... every few days me or the wife will just randomly start rubber banding all over the place. Ping (I always hit F9 to monitor) is usually in the 40 - 80 range depending on server. But I can just start popping all over the place 25m up to a couple hundred away.

Funniest is when I rubberband/teleport to the other side of a wall or hill... right into the middle of a lance or two. I'd love to actually see what happens from their point of view... like "okay guys, we're going to push over this hill ... what the ****, a Marauder just materialized in front of me guys!!!" :)

Another time on Tourmaline one second I was with the team safely behind cover, next thing I was down in the open in the middle of one of the big bowls. Went down quickly but again, it's got to look odd to the others.

I just mark it up to desync or something weird, 9 times out of 10 it clears up after 20 seconds or so and may be days before it occurs again. It's different than the usual collision teleport, there are never collisions going on when this happens.

Anyone else have this?

Edited by Morggo, 25 May 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#15 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostYlca, on 25 May 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

SNIP "Lots of hyperbole"

You still here?

#16 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

Now that you mention this, I also have a minor thing happen to me.

I was running (walking?) around in my urbanmech and suddenly I couldnt control my mech... It kept going forward but didnt accept any controls like steering or turning my torso... That didnt last very long however. After maybe 3 or so seconds I could control my mech again...

As I said, a minor thing but this did happen... I didnt think much of it since it was only briefly but now I am starting to think otherwise.
Not blaming anything or anybody but it was...odd.

Just wanted to put this observation in here...

#17 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

It's possible that the hotfix (which will be rolling out at any moment as I type) may fix this.

Desync issue may have been the cause.

Only happened to me a couple times. Once I was standing still and couldn't move. Lasted about 20 or so seconds. Tried alt-tabbing out of the game. Assumed it fixed it. Other time, I was on the move and couldn't stop. Was dead before it came back.

#18 Herbert the Turbot

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostApsyc, on 25 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

I have had this happen a couple of times, only to notice a couple of seconds later (sometimes when dead) that I've accidentally clipped "t" while pressing "r" and have opened the chat window into which I've been typing gibberish.

My advice if your 'mech suddenly freezes and won't respond to keyboard and mouse controls is immediately hit the return key.

#19 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostHerbert the Turbot, on 27 May 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

I have had this happen a couple of times, only to notice a couple of seconds later (sometimes when dead) that I've accidentally clipped "t" while pressing "r" and have opened the chat window into which I've been typing gibberish.

My advice if your 'mech suddenly freezes and won't respond to keyboard and mouse controls is immediately hit the return key.

That's why I switched Target lock to the Q key. easier reach for my fingers, and no chance of error

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users