61 replies to this topic

#61 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

I've been seeing quite a few LRM-bears in the Quick Play queue. Now that everybody's got the KDK-3 UAC10 beast out of the way, build diversity on Kodiaks seems to be increasing. I've seen LPL & GR bears floating around too.

Sadly, LRM-bears suffer the same poor play as many other LRM mechs -- its the players not the build. That is, they sit back 600+ meters away lobbing LRMs, from cover, praying for solid locks from the SOBs at the front line, and holding 100 tons of tanky armor back that the team sorely needs.

There's a right way to use LRMs and a wrong way. The above is the wrong way. The right way to play LRMs is this:

1) Trail the back end for the death ball. Stay with your team.
2) Look for your own locks, as much as possible.
3) Bring and use TAG and UAVs.
4) use LRMs at < 500m for best travel time to cooldown ratio.
5) Have backup weapons to defend yourself and/or not be useless when the LRMs are out.
6) Have a speedy engine and re-position often. Be ready to move fast for a better target in optimal range (again < 500m)
7) Watch the reticle go red for hits. If lobbing LRMs, and you don't see red, the target has cover and you're firing into it.

On edit, I decided to make a thread of the above and expanded it a bit.
http://mwomercs.com/...-to-lrm-9-tips/

Edited by Apnu, 31 May 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#62 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostApnu, on 31 May 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

I've been seeing quite a few LRM-bears in the Quick Play queue. Now that everybody's got the KDK-3 UAC10 beast out of the way, build diversity on Kodiaks seems to be increasing. I've seen LPL & GR bears floating around too.

Sadly, LRM-bears suffer the same poor play as many other LRM mechs -- its the players not the build. That is, they sit back 600+ meters away lobbing LRMs, from cover, praying for solid locks from the SOBs at the front line, and holding 100 tons of tanky armor back that the team sorely needs.

There's a right way to use LRMs and a wrong way. The above is the wrong way. The right way to play LRMs is this:

1) Trail the back end for the death ball. Stay with your team.
2) Look for your own locks, as much as possible.
3) Bring and use TAG and UAVs.
4) use LRMs at < 500m for best travel time to cooldown ratio.
5) Have backup weapons to defend yourself and/or not be useless when the LRMs are out.
6) Have a speedy engine and re-position often. Be ready to move fast for a better target in optimal range (again < 500m)
7) Watch the reticle go red for hits. If lobbing LRMs, and you don't see red, the target has cover and you're firing into it.

This. Doing exactly this has netted me some of the highest match scores I've ever had, and no one complains about the lrm bear killing things where they can see it happening.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users