#1 A W 0 L

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:19 PM

Greetings folks

I started playing MWO about 3 weeks ago with the 25 bonus matches gone after the first weekend.
So far I really enjoy the game but don't want to invest real money as I'm not sure about which mechs I prefer, yet. However the 4 mech bays you have at the start are definitely not going to be a sustainable solution and I already sold 2 of my first variants after finishing the basics to make room to level the next chassis.
So my question is: What is the easiest and fastest way to get more mech bays?

Cheers Zappendust

#2 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

Participate in events. Keep an eye out for any events posted on the main website.

Wait for mech-bay discounts. 150MC per one on discount is a huge bargain for long-term investment.

I think fighting in Community Wars can net you some MC.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

the easiest and fastest way is to buy them, usualy 300 MC each but go on sale at half price roughly every 3 months on average

here are the other ways to obtain Mechbays.
Faction Warfare gives away Mechbays as a reward to loyalists or Mercenaries when you reach certain levels.
the weekend events sometimes include Mechbays as rewards.
if you buy any Mech or Mech Pack through the web store or gift store it comes with a bay for each Mech.
it you buy a mastery bundle through the site or the ingame store that comes with the relevent number of bays.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 May 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#4 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:52 AM

Option 1: Buy MC with real $, use on 'mechbays. Quickest and easiest. Mechbays occasionally go on -50% sale, but you might have to wait for more months.

Option 2: Participate in faction warfare. You get both 'mechbays and MC (which you can use on 'mechbays) as rewards.

Option 3: Participate in events, win MC, use on 'mechbays. They've sometimes given 'mechbays themselves as event rewards, but recently this seems to be rare.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:28 AM

View PostZappendust, on 26 May 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Greetings folks

I started playing MWO about 3 weeks ago with the 25 bonus matches gone after the first weekend.
So far I really enjoy the game but don't want to invest real money as I'm not sure about which mechs I prefer, yet. However the 4 mech bays you have at the start are definitely not going to be a sustainable solution and I already sold 2 of my first variants after finishing the basics to make room to level the next chassis.
So my question is: What is the easiest and fastest way to get more mech bays?

Cheers Zappendust

First and foremost.... keep the mechs until you get through basics on THREE of them to unlock elite; keep your favorite. Just doing basics on mechs one at a time and selling is not a good idea as you must own three to start elites.

O once lites are started sell as you please.

Also welcome to MWO.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 May 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

First and foremost.... keep the mechs until you get through basics on THREE of them to unlock elite; keep your favorite. Just doing basics on mechs one at a time and selling is not a good idea as you must own three to start elites.

you can unlock elites while only currently owning 1 Mech, you need to complete the basics on each to unlock it but as soon as you have completed basics on 1 variant you can sell that variant, and it still counts towards the 3 for elite, (unless this has changed in the last 3 months when I last elited a Mech I did not own at least 3 of at the time) if you later purchase another varient.

The biggest downside to selling before unlocking is you could end up figuring out you sold the "best" variant, the majority consensus on what is the "best" variant is often wrong for my preferances, what is the "best" for you all depends on what your play style and weapon preferences are, just because someone told you that the 3L is the best Raven (I much prefer the 4Xs Jumpjets over the 3Ls ECM) or the Spirit Bear is the best Kodiak (in my opinion it is, for the added speed and agility from MASC but it having 4 less hardpoints than some variants means others think it is rubbish) does not mean you will agree.

#7 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

Warning: Wall Of Text below... spend a long time reading at your own peril. Not really that perilous, but you get the idea.

, welcome to MWO, a place that isn't as nice as it was 6 months ago. It used to be that getting Mech Bays was easily done from the Warfare section, so that newbies actually stood a chance at becoming good players. Not so much anymore, as PGI has created overkill extreme penalties (currently 25% LP, and should never have been so big) for leaving any faction if you're a Loyalist. That 25% LP loss for leaving a Faction after being a Loyalist is just way too much, and should have only been like '10% LP' and '35 million ' taken. (Heck, it feels like they made all the Factions to now feel like the "French Foreign Legion", when the communities of each aren't always like that.) Mercenaries also can only pick up about 5 Mech Bays, which is suffocating towards anyone new who doesn't want to get locked into a Faction as well. Unfortunately, to pick up all the ones in a single Faction's set, and not take an actual hit if you're trying to retain Rank 20 on the way out, it's going to cost you somewhere around 3.4 years (5 matches/day @ 400 LP/match) of play time. It's only about 3 years as a Mercenary, because you don't have the 25% penalty there. Any which way, if you don't have the time/resources/money to commit, you've basically been given the middle finger by PGI, and told to get out. They have become too locked into a "grab the cash from the player" mentality, and they've lost sight of how to make MWO great. Basically, Pay-to-Win, instead of Free-To-Play, is the direction that PGI has fallen into. They even caused one person I know to decide against spending money because of the bad direction in which they've taken the game's design. That person, like myself, can't commit resources any time that PGI wants to try to extract them from us. Sadly, I've even left PGI a basic blueprint to start from on Page 3 of the '2016-04-28 HotFix' Thread as to how they can fix things, but without totally backstepping to 'CW, Beta 2' conditions. As of yet, I haven't seen anything even reminiscent of the blueprint in terms of game changes. I really do hope they fix it soon, before they totally kill themselves, because I can see the current design is already slowly killing Player Retention and New Player Interest. Heck, I would have liked to see MWO still alive in 25 Years, but PGI's killing any chance of that right now. Which reminds me, avoid spending Real $$$ on the game if you can right now. PGI really has done things to make their game not worth it. Even now, you can see physical signs of how bad things are, including out-of-place interface text, but that's only the surface of it. But as usual, like many other companies, the only way PGI will know that they've done wrong is when they start taking a massive hit to their bank account. They've really shown that as being the only way they'll start learning at this point. :(

Anywho, maybe I'll still run into a battle where you are present. See you in-game, perhaps, unless you quit MWO, like I'm already thinking of doing for the second and final time. :huh:

~D. V. "And if you've read through the entire wall of text, maybe you'll have the mental strength to reach 'Tier 3'..." Devnull

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 27 May 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

Warning: Wall Of Text below... spend a long time reading at your own peril. Not really that perilous, but you get the idea.

, welcome to MWO, a place that isn't as nice as it was 6 months ago. It used to be that getting Mech Bays was easily done from the Warfare section, so that newbies actually stood a chance at becoming good players. Not so much anymore,

agreed, it was easy to pick up 1-2 bays a week by playing CW until the April patch

as PGI has created overkill extreme penalties (currently 25% LP, and should never have been so big) for leaving any faction if you're a Loyalist. That 25% LP loss for leaving a Faction after being a Loyalist is just way too much, and should have only been like '10% LP' and '35 million ' taken. (Heck, it feels like they made all the Factions to now feel like the "French Foreign Legion", when the communities of each aren't always like that.) Mercenaries also can only pick up about 5 Mech Bays, which is suffocating towards anyone new who doesn't want to get locked into a Faction as well. Unfortunately, to pick up all the ones in a single Faction's set, and not take an actual hit if you're trying to retain Rank 20 on the way out, it's going to cost you somewhere around 3.4 years (5 matches/day @ 400 LP/match) of play time. It's only about 3 years as a Mercenary, because you don't have the 25% penalty there. Any which way, if you don't have the time/resources/money to commit, you've basically been given the middle finger by PGI, and told to get out.

the stated goal was to convince people to invest in a faction, if you spend the time to get to top level in a faction you would then ether break the contract and loose some of that allowing you to reearn the top level rewards later or you would never return to that faction, while I do not disagree that it has made it much harder to get the 10-20 Mechbays in 10 weeks I think you are somewhat blowing things out of proportion, it is still possible to declare loyalty get perhaps 4 bays then break, although that would be 4-8 weeks for 4 bays rather than 4 weeks for 4-8 bays

They have become too locked into a "grab the cash from the player" mentality, and they've lost sight of how to make MWO great. Basically, Pay-to-Win, instead of Free-To-Play, is the direction that PGI has fallen into. They even caused one person I know to decide against spending money because of the bad direction in which they've taken the game's design.

how is any of that pay to win? pay to win suggests paying real money gives you a major advantage over free players, while the only advantage paying players have is obtaining things quicker, if you mean they have increased the "grind" for free players then you are correct but that is completely diferant to pay to win

That person, like myself, can't commit resources any time that PGI wants to try to extract them from us. Sadly, I've even left PGI a basic blueprint to start from on Page 3 of the '2016-04-28 HotFix' Thread as to how they can fix things, but without totally backstepping to 'CW, Beta 2' conditions. As of yet, I haven't seen anything even reminiscent of the blueprint in terms of game changes. I really do hope they fix it soon, before they totally kill themselves, because I can see the current design is already slowly killing Player Retention and New Player Interest. Heck, I would have liked to see MWO still alive in 25 Years, but PGI's killing any chance of that right now. Which reminds me, avoid spending Real $$$ on the game if you can right now. PGI really has done things to make their game not worth it. Even now, you can see physical signs of how bad things are, including out-of-place interface text, but that's only the surface of it. But as usual, like many other companies, the only way PGI will know that they've done wrong is when they start taking a massive hit to their bank account. They've really shown that as being the only way they'll start learning at this point. Posted Image

if you enjoy the game and can justify spending do so, if you do not think it is worth your money that is fine, you can play MWO without spending anything, however it will take you longer to get stuff than paying players.

if you want to minimise the spend check the announcements forum before/during the weekend, sometimes MC goes on offer, as in buy MC and get something else with it perhaps extra MC, Mechs, Mechbays, Colours. sometimes Mechbays go on half price sale, if you can get MC with 20% extra free (2-3 times a year) and half price bays (3-4 times a year) you can potential get 10 Mechbays for $6.99 (£4.76)

Anywho, maybe I'll still run into a battle where you are present. See you in-game, perhaps, unless you quit MWO, like I'm already thinking of doing for the second and final time. Posted Image

~D. V. "And if you've read through the entire wall of text, maybe you'll have the mental strength to reach 'Tier 3'..." Devnull

I think we have seriously diferant perspectives on the progress of this game.

#9 A W 0 L

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

Thanks guys (& gals?)

I got my first hangar as a merc on the weekend and will try to sign up with some of houses/clans depending on my first experience with breaking a contract. I will definitely have a eye on upcoming events and sales - what's the best way to stay up to date here?

@Koniving - yep, I try to keep all 3 variants I used for leveling for some time, just to get a better feel for the leveled and modified mechs (and how useful I am for my team when playing them). But if you already have 2 bays locked up with dropdeck mechs 4 bays...

#10 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:49 AM

There are actually 3 completely different ways to get mech bays:

1) Buy them with MC. MC can be either bought or earned.

2) Get mech bays as reward from faction warfare, by being either a loyalist or a mercenary.

3) Get a mech that comes with a free mech bay, then sell the mech. There are often events that reward champion mechs, and they always come with a free mech bay. Champion mechs only give an XP boost, so sometimes you don't even want to keep them.

#11 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostZappendust, on 29 May 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

Thanks guys (& gals?)
I got my first hangar as a merc on the weekend and will try to sign up with some of houses/clans depending on my first experience with breaking a contract. I will definitely have a eye on upcoming events and sales - what's the best way to stay up to date here?

Announcements board on this forum and news popup when you start the game always contain event information. Events usually start on friday.

In terms of gaining mechbays in Faction Play: currently the fastest way is to get 2 first mechbays in merc career, then go loyalist and earn 2 more. (after 2 first mechbays it takes a really long time to level up your rank). After 2 mechbays from loyalist career you can brake your oath and choose other faction, but it gets tedious here, as oath braking comes with harsh penalties, so be careful.

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

They're the equivalent of $1.50.

Buy some.

#13 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostAppogee, on 01 June 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

They're the equivalent of $1.50.

Buy some.

*facedesk* -.-

Not everyone has the money, or the inclination due to a bad game experience, to buy some. Get realistic, instead of trying to make people open their purse strings for a poor game. Do something right and go take a dump on PGI's devs for once, instead of trying to make a player who's getting choked to feel bad. <_<

~D. V. "Ugh... How can so many be out-of-tune towards the less fortunate? Not asking for everything here, either." Devnull

#14 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 01 June 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

Not everyone has the money, or the inclination due to a bad game experience, to buy some. Get realistic, instead of trying to make people open their purse strings for a poor game.
There is enough game here to warrant the expenditure of less than half the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

If people can afford a PC and an Internet connection, they can afford $1.50 for a Mech Bay.

View PostD V Devnull, on 01 June 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

Do something right and go take a dump on PGI's devs for once, instead of trying to make a player who's getting choked to feel bad. Posted Image
"For once...?" LOL. Guess you don't read the great majority of my posts.

Edited by Appogee, 01 June 2016 - 11:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users