6 replies to this topic

#1 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

What makes factions unique? Their personal choice in mechs and armaments do!

I was thinking of a way that choosing a faction could be made more meaningful in MWO and I think I've come across something that would have at the very least, an interesting effect.

A system should be put in place that encourages players to use mechs that are preferred by their faction. One way this could be implemented would be by "charging" for mechs not typical and rewarding those typical of said faction. For example, Its well known that Clan Wolf has a preference for faster mechs like the timberwolf, gargoyle and ice ferret. A c-bill bonus for using those mechs could encourage the use of those mechs. Meanwhile, mechs like the arctic cheetah and ebon jaguar, much more particular to Smoke Jaguar, should come at a c-bill cost to the earnings at the end of the match if someone from Clan Wolf would like to use them. This would give some level of expectation for both one's team and for the enemy to prepare.

I know this sounds like it limits mech selection at first glance, but when factions start playing mechs more particular to the faction's style, it also builds a sort of play style for each faction. Factions with particular weapon and mech tendencies will take on a distinguishable style on the battle field!

Despite the definite waves of cries about how players bought mechs that they want to use anytime they feel without penalty, I believe that this will give meaning to choosing a faction as opposed to having a pretty colored badge that does little to distinguish the faction being played for. The system would obviously need fleshing out but the basic idea is covered here.

View PostBanse, on 31 May 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

I know the easiest method to giving an incentive for Faction Mechs is to do C-Bills and I think that would be an ok place to start.

What I would really like to see is for Faction Warfare is to have Invasion and Scouting mission types have some type of better scoring system for the match, and that using a Faction Mech gives points to that. I.E. If Invasion has the objective for the attackers to knock out the O-Gen, we leave that as the objective and give it a point value for completing. Now for every Faction Mech your team uses you get say, 1.05 multiplier, you would get more points.

This might not work for some, as it could throw math balance so that even if you "lose the match" (enemy kills your team) by having your team use Faction specific mechs it gets more points and actually wins by points. Kinda like Capture Mode in Quick Play.

This sounds like a great way to emphasize the need to salvage and fix some of the more problematic mechs then. I know implementation of something like this would come with hurdles, but they seem like the kind worth addressing to help establish a meaning to the violence and faction choices made. The system could be further enhanced for example by identifying significant planets (planets that may hold certain mech factories) and allowing the ownership of those to affect "usage costs" per mech. That would also give more meaning to attack routes rather than having attacking be a land grab for the sake of area. Meaningful planets would provide objectives and and reward for conquering in certain directions!

Banse, your idea sounds like a nice additionto encouraging the use of faction mechs. The ideas both need further fleshing out for practicality but i think that adding depth should be a top priority right now!

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by SuperFunkTron, 02 June 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#2 Lionheart2012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

This! But for all factions.

#3 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

Definitely for all factions! I just gave a few examples I could recall off the top of my head. Let 's some more bumps so we can make sure this thread gets read!

#4 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:08 AM

With this only few factions will have some amount of people playing FW due to only few mechs viable ATM. Well, whatever Posted Image

Edited by MechWarrior849305, 31 May 2016 - 03:09 AM.

#5 Banse

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 34 posts
  • LocationThe Warriors Hall, New Syrtis

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

I know the easiest method to giving an incentive for Faction Mechs is to do C-Bills and I think that would be an ok place to start.

What I would really like to see is for Faction Warfare is to have Invasion and Scouting mission types have some type of better scoring system for the match, and that using a Faction Mech gives points to that. I.E. If Invasion has the objective for the attackers to knock out the O-Gen, we leave that as the objective and give it a point value for completing. Now for every Faction Mech your team uses you get say, 1.05 multiplier, you would get more points.

This might not work for some, as it could throw math balance so that even if you "lose the match" (enemy kills your team) by having your team use Faction specific mechs it gets more points and actually wins by points. Kinda like Capture Mode in Quick Play.

#6 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

This sounds like a great way to emphasize the need to salvage and fix some of the more problematic mechs then. I know implementation of something like this would come with hurdles, but they seem like the kind worth addressing to help establish a meaning to the violence and faction choices made. The system could be further enhanced for example by identifying significant planets (planets that may hold certain mech factories) and allowing the ownership of those to affect "usage costs" per mech. That would also give more meaning to attack routes rather than having attacking be a land grab for the sake of area. Meaningful planets would provide objectives and and reward for conquering in certain directions!

Banse, your idea sounds like a nice additionto encouraging the use of faction mechs. The ideas both need further fleshing out for practicality but i think that adding depth should be a top priority right now!

#7 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

After reading about the FW round table it seems that the reduction of buckets will likely be implemented in one form or another. That would provide a perfect opportunity to try specializing the faction mech availability! It would help maintain meaning in selecting a faction despite being part of a large bucket while adding strategic/play style benefits at the same time. With the now large number of mechs available for each side, now is the time to develop and give meaning to the factions beyond the paint and decals!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users