268 replies to this topic

#21 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

This is why I go with "gj" in a win and "wp" in a loss. Unless my team was gawdawful, then I usually just exit out and take a break. #puglyf

#22 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

View Postmailin, on 27 May 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

If my side gets rolled I will type "wp enemy team". THAT is good sportsmanship. It is acknowledging that my side got totally spanked and outplayed.

I do this sometimes too, and agree that it is good sportsmanship.

My self-imposed 4 mech rule is because that is one lance. Plain and simple. I never type "GG" in all chat when I am on the winning side and the enemy has not at least killed 4 of us. I WILL type in team chat, "gj all", but I never rub my opponents' nose in it.

The reason this comes up is that there have recently been a couple of matches that were 12-0 and the winners were typing 'GG'. As I originally stated, from the losers perspective this is not good sportsmanship.

I think the difference here is that you interpret "good game" literally, as saying "That was a good game, a close match" whereas I interpret it closer to the American greeting "what's up?" Nobody expects you to tell them what is up, it is just a colloquialism that has been completely disconnected from its original meaning and is now used as a greeting.

When I type GG I mean "thank you for playing this game with us."

Why don't I type "thank you for playing"? Because doing so after a stomp feels incredibly condescending to me. It feels like I'm saying "nice try punk...but thanks anyway."

GG is also to me a way of recognzing that it is in the end just a game. It's meant to bring that back to the forefront, because I think we've all taken the game too serioiusly at one point or another.

Also, 12-0 stomps are frequently not as completely one-sided as they seem, with half the winning team one shot from death.

Edited by Jables McBarty, 27 May 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#23 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostHoldFast Hitokiri Battousai, on 27 May 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Win or lose GG is meant to show there is no ill will.

Perhaps many are new to online gaming, or are part of the current "participation trophy" generation... but connotation matters in life, and the context of "gg" after a stomp is universally known as a taunt, thus insult. It's an implied ill will. Whatever connotation you might want to apply to it, it's seen as most online vets as an insult. Even if other games have built a sort of tradition of their own, MWO stays true to the usual tone of the act.

Besides... a post-game handshake is NOT meant to show there is no ill will. Quite the opposite in fact... it's meant to show that - DESPITE ill will - that opposing sides can still act in a sporting manner. If two people are in a fistfight, and they're pulled apart and asked to shake hands, is there no longer ill will?

#24 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

I fully recognize that I am taking it literally, and that is precisely my point. Say what you mean after a match. Don't say good game if it clearly wasn't a good game for the opposing team.

#25 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

It's like I told my son when he complained he was being called names...

I asked "Is what they are saying/calling you true?" to which he replied "No." to which I then replied: "Then it's not a problem then is it?"

OP I don't know you from Adam and I'm not in any way inferring this is the case with you... But folks in general, need to stop looking for reasons to be offended.

If "GG" is enough to put you over the edge... Two questions come to mind: Did you in fact suck than dramatically thus you're self-reflecting or are you taking it out of context?

#26 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

The last time we had this discussion, we were treated to some rip-roaring examples of "internet logic", including:
- Anyone who doesn't like to hear GG is a weakling who wants everyone to get a trophy just like what happens everywhere in real-life because of that one time it happened somewhere, I think
- You should always say "GG" or you're letting other people influence your actions which is wrong. Note that the genius who came up with this one never considered that if we listened to him, we'd be letting him influence our actions, which, by his own odd standards, is wrong.
- "GG" is always/never meant maliciously.
- The internet is the same as face to face conversation, therefore it should be obvious when a person means "GG" in a friendly or sarcastic manner.

I look forward to the interesting examples of "internet logic" that surface in this post.

Edited by oldradagast, 28 May 2016 - 05:22 AM.

#27 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

gg MM win
"gg"
gg ez

I can say this when match was over before began, no matter if i was in lucky team or not coze match wasnt interesting.

When match was interesting : gga
But it's rare.

#28 James Warren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

I find I say 'gg' more often when I'm on the losing team, and 'gj' in team chat if winning. I'm probably too polite.

Its very easy for written words to be misinterpreted - it would be very clear what the intent was if they were spoken in person after a game of sport.

On the other hand, I wouldn't let two letters make you so upset. Give the other players the benefit of the doubt.

#29 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 May 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

GG, two innocuous letters than can inflame the passions of the QQ Brigade like no other.

Because it can ONLY be meant to be insulting, and what some scrub I never will meet IRL says on the Intrawebz is so worth getting worked up into a tizzy over.

Seriously, folks, if this is getting your panties in a wad, all I can say is it's time to Nut Up, Buttercup!

I'd hate to see how you deal with actual adversity IRL.

EDIT:
What's REALLY funny about all this I finally saw my first white get offended at the word "cr4cker."

EDIT EDIT:

Cr-acker is banned here?

Really? Hoooooolllly Sheeeeiiiitttt.....

Edited by Saint Scarlett Johan, 27 May 2016 - 03:08 PM.

#30 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 27 May 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

When I type GG I mean "thank you for playing this game with us."

Why don't I type "thank you for playing"? Because doing so after a stomp feels incredibly condescending to me. It feels like I'm saying "nice try punk...but thanks anyway."

do you realize how nonsensical this is

#31 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

I never understood how adults take offense to "GG" after a loss. I imagine it only truly offends people with self confidence issues, or those who are emotionally immature.

It's not like saying "Git Gud" or anything. Wait a minute, "Git Gud"... "GG"... oh. Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 27 May 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#32 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostEscef, on 27 May 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

F***in' make me, punk.

sportsmanship!

#33 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 May 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

I never understood how adults take offense to "GG" after a loss. I imagine it only truly offends people with self confidence issues, or those who are emotionally immature.

It's not like saying "Git Gud" or anything. Wait a minute, "Git Gud"... "GG"... oh.

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 27 May 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

EDIT:
What's REALLY funny about all this I finally saw my first white get offended at the word "cr4cker."

EDIT EDIT:

Cr-acker is banned here?

Really? Hoooooolllly Sheeeeiiiitttt.....

View PostEscef, on 27 May 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

F***in' make me, punk.

I read that in Clint Eastwood's voice.

#34 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:15 PM

I mean honestly

sportsmanship, when you come right down to it, is about making sure everyone has a good time whether they win or lose. In cases where you win a competition easily, you should do so gracefully.

these dudes who want to throw a quick 'gg' every time they win are pretty obviously just trolls who've found a way to dress their trolling in a veneer of 'sportsmanship.' If you actually do want to express gratitude or admiration toward the enemy team, typing 'gg' is about the most pithy and useless way to do it that I can think of.

#35 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

dont be bothered malin just type a short *troll* as answer if it comes from winning team and a short *thx* when it comes from the losing team.

PPL beeing {Richard Cameron} because they managed to win some luckshot, ragtag, coincidental match ( and winning a qp match is nothing but luck ) are one of the sad stadarts in every shootergames day to day reality.

To those thinking they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO COMMENT AN ALREADY WON GAME OF THEIRS.....

Well...why dont you just say *thanks for the game* Posted Image
Loosers are already humbled no need to get ironic.
And since you oh so high and mighty guys know this topic has been up several times why dont you guys just do as the op says and just stop this sh.. and be nic guys since you now already admit you know that gging from the winning team is nothing but an insult to many ppl happening to be on the loosing team.
Or are you realy nothing but a bunch of trolls beeing inflamatory by choice ?Posted Image

Edited by The Basilisk, 27 May 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#36 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 May 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

It's not like saying "Git Gud" or anything. Wait a minute, "Git Gud"... "GG"... oh. Posted Image

I think "offend" is the wrong word usage here. It's not like this is a racist joke being told in front of the group the joke is about. It's simply a **** move. Like tea-bagging.

It's not like people get mad at tea-bagging because they're offended a person's nuts have entered their personal space, or that it reminds them of being assaulted by their older brother who once sat on their head as a child AND HOW DARE YOU REMIND THEM OF THAT DAY!

It's just that taunting another player is considered unsporting. I suppose if any "offense" is taken, it's against common sporting decency.

#37 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 27 May 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

I think "offend" is the wrong word usage here. It's not like this is a racist joke being told in front of the group the joke is about. It's simply a **** move. Like tea-bagging.

It's not like people get mad at tea-bagging because they're offended a person's nuts have entered their personal space, or that it reminds them of being assaulted by their older brother who once sat on their head as a child AND HOW DARE YOU REMIND THEM OF THAT DAY!

It's just that taunting another player is considered unsporting. I suppose if any "offense" is taken, it's against common sporting decency.

nah it's just the usual douchebag's defense in cases like this

"I can act however I want, and if you have some objection to it you're the one with the problem"

#38 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 27 May 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

Oh they are offended, otherwise they wouldn't be writing threads about it.

GG in MWO at worst is merely subtle insult thrown against the team as a whole. Tea-bagging is direct insult against the individual player. One is way easier to tolerate than the other.

The whole GG posts remind me of the people who get offended by Hearthstone's emotes at the end of the match, and complain on the forums. Posted Image

Just go to settings and disable all chat if GG is hard to take.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 May 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

I think people get butthurt over "GG" because they read into it what THEY mean when they say it.

Ever notice that the most easily offended are often the worst offenders?

(Saying "GG" is bad, but telling their teammates their scrub noob losers, etc is OK, apparently)

#40 Depressing-Fire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNew Tasmania, Kikuyu

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

I'll do what I want, you're not my real Dad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users