Stop It!

268 replies to this topic

#241 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the Liberal Party.

You didn't say Liberal Party. You said liberal.

#242 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostYosharian, on 31 May 2016 - 07:17 AM, said:

The second statement is quote from Fight Club.

That actually made it worse. Posted Image

#243 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostMystere, on 31 May 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

That actually made it worse. Posted Image

Fight club is absolutely not misogynistic. If anything it's an assault on men, not women.

#244 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostYosharian, on 31 May 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

You didn't say Liberal Party. You said liberal.

Context was pretty obvious. Hand holding is optional.

#245 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Context was pretty obvious. Hand holding is optional.

What context? A videogame forum for a game played across the entire world? Your local politics are not contextual for every single person on this board.

#246 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

Bishop needs to use the MWO version of the Chewbacca defence. Just post a cool mech rendering. Posted Image

#247 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

View PostMystere, on 31 May 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Read the sentences again. They're essentially blaming women for the sad state of things.

Actually, to be clear on my post and it's meaning, no, I do not blame women.

I blame the Men.

#248 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

Wow, this thread has come a long way! From: GG as an insult or not, to the perceived distinctions of political identifiers as they may be affected by gender and local cultural context. That is some good stuff. Well done indeed MWO community.
Now I have to go start my next academic paper for The Socjourn to be titled:

GGclose: How Geopolitical Distinctions Originate, are Transmitted and eventually Established by Big Stompy Robots and Those That Play with Them.

Look for it to be published soon.

#249 Claxton Weathers

• PipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 75 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:51 AM

Being politically correct is the direct pussifaction of a generation with absolutely no testicular fortitude to own their own opinions and leave someone else's alone. Do what you want, you don't have to be rude and you don't have to be nice either. Rick roll a team 12-0, just maybe the other team needs a little embarrassment to learn a lesson about how to work as a team. The liberal insults are always good too, some Conservative pretentious {LT-MOB-25} stain wants to make a joke yet the jokes on them. 9.9/10 people who call others a liberal have a very narrow minded vision of how people work. Just because someone has the integrity to stand up for something they believe in, The liberal smiters use gross generalization for everything a liberal could do. It's a simple minded argument and nobody will ever win. If we could collaborate, use logic, practicability, and communication we wouldnt have to swing with insults and could find common ground. That requires empathy however the only emotional attachment to people know how to use is apathy hypocrisy and self loathing. There's my 2 cent and i just gave it away for free, ****** liberal aye....

#250 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

Lol.. Weak troll post, especially since I am certainly no conservative.

Radical centrist then, probably?
Doesn't free you from reading the posts you quote properly, though.

#251 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

GG is no longer acceptable. You have to type "Participation Ribbon" because everyone's a winner then.

I am seriously tempted to use this on the next rolfstompfest I end up in for the losing team

#252 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hmmmm.

No. I was raised to shake hands at the end of every match, win or lose. I'll keep saying gg pretty much every time I play. If my team did happen to win in a lopsided fashion you can take solace that I'm not rubbing anyone's nose in it, I'm just giving a handshake. If I say gg, I really mean gg - nothing more.

#253 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostRyllen Kriel, on 31 May 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Unfortunately, this thread is about saying what people truly mean, and humanity seldom does that. Until "GG" is put in a dictionary and taught in schools by a specific definition then it's meaning and correct usage will be different for most people who use the term. The literal meaning has been perverted in the usual way of a social colloquialism, so we likely, sadly aren't far off from seeing it officially defined. Even then I'm certain people will ignore and alter and misuse the specific meaning. Until then, I tend to go by the literal meaning. And, as with many term, it's meaning is conditional upon the situation where it is used.

Many people do use "GG" as a sarcastic barb over open coms to another team on a one sided victory. It obviously was not a good game for both teams unless it was a closely contested match. Some people stick to the belief they were taught from childhood sports (where everyone getting a trophy is another perpetuated ritual of failure in society) that saying "Good Game" at the end is somehow polite, regardless of score or how the game was played. To me, it only should said as matter of respect, if the game was close and hard fought. If the game is lop-sided then the losing team should embrace that they lost and learn from their mistakes. They do not need to either be coddled with a participation trophy "GG" from well-meaning players or teased by sarcastic players who just wish to be jackasses in a lame attempt to give a bump to their "hardcore" internet personalities.

But, in conclusion...I don't care about convincing others to think the way I do and I especially don't care much about sarcasm from random internet strangers. Snarky behavior from humanity is as common as hydrogen to the universe and both shall always exist. This thread is amusing but pointless and I have quickly realized I am posting here out of boredom. Players should try not to be rude, but in equal measure they should do their best not to care if people intend to be rude. There are only a handful of things worth really fighting for in our short existence, and this is not one of them. Posted Image

This person gets it.

#254 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

At this point, however being raised to say "GG" after a game is, communicationswise the equivalent of mumbling something easily construed different ways based on team performance.

I just cut to the chase and say "Get Good" instead when I mean it, and if I mean something else, I don't even bother with acronyms. Nor do I think it's sportsmanlike to praise a bad performance- in online gaming, the inevitable result of praising something is reinforcing it's repetition.

I don't want the guy who thinks his 6 MG King Crab is "good" for anything except target practice. I want him to stop being bad. That is, I want him to Get Good. I don't care if the entire 12-man enemy team survived with 100% health or 20%- in fact, the lower their health is after that, the more abominable the stomped team's aim was to begin with.

To me, the proper thing to do when you are bad is admit it and the height of proper behavior in netgaming. Submit to your superior and admit your suckage, because when you were dominated, that's the rightful spoils of the victor. This isn't peewee soccer, it's gaming on the Internet.

Or say nothing and get good so you don't fail to provide a competitive game next time and actually kill something next time. People who only provide target practice aren't competing, though the ultimate fault of those potato matches is PGI's for utterly hosing any actual skill-tiering by making PSR a participation reward ribbon. And if you can't compete with your opponent, you've wasted their time being nothing more than a set of slightly more interesting things to shoot than turrets. To me, that's bad and you should feel bad.

#255 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

Lol.. Weak troll post, especially since I am certainly no conservative.

The laughable thing is that the only thing more close minded than a conservative is your typical bleeding heart liberal. Because at least the Conservative is usually honest enough to admit his mind is closed, whereas the Liberal is convinced of his own enlightenment.

End of the day, just opposite sides of the same idiot lemming coin.

Any cause, even the noblest, if taken to a radical, fanatic extreme becomes completely ridiculous and stupid. Unfortunately, this is exactly what both the far left and the far right have done with their causes.

Edited by Mole, 31 May 2016 - 11:43 AM.

#256 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

GG (as in good game, as in Team Chat view only, as in high fiving my team). From my experience, it's rare that I see anyone actually post GG to everyone, this is really a moot point.

Edited by Davis Carlyle, 31 May 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#257 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 27 May 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

I say GG WP after every match when I play video games. I say "good game" after every match when I do sports.

Posted Image

Absolutely right on. There's a big difference when someone is being condescending, but it is rather obvious. Here, it is not the people saying, "gg," that are bad sports, but rather the OP on the receiving end is behaving with poor sportsmanship in sense of being a sore loser.

I say this with the best of intentions - build a bridge and get over it. You shouldn't go looking for insult, much like you shouldn't go looking for trouble.

Edited by Dino Might, 31 May 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#258 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

View Postwanderer, on 31 May 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

This isn't peewee soccer, it's gaming on the Internet.

...which is simply a less developed social atmosphere than peewee soccer.

Really, gaming on the internet should not be taken more seriously than recreational sports. If anything, you could try to set them on equivalent footing, but that's a stretch. And in recreational sports, at the end of the game, you thank the other players for participating, whether you won or lost, however good or bad. You don't sit around and think how great you are and how everyone else isn't worth the mud on your cleats. You sit around and think how thankful you are to be playing a game with people who have similar interests, and you recognize that there is always someone out there who is better than you, who should also be thankful that you are there to keep that game going so they can participate.

#259 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:56 PM

Please stop using the word liberal only talking about US politics. It´s a large world, and you know, over here in Europe, Liberals are something entirely different. Posted Image

#260 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostMole, on 31 May 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Any cause, even the noblest, if taken to a radical, fanatic extreme becomes completely ridiculous and stupid. Unfortunately, this is exactly what both the far left and the far right have done with their causes.

Where rhetoric replaces reason, no accord can be reached.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users