268 replies to this topic

#1 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

Stop typing 'GG' in all chat when your enemy didn't kill at least 4 of your team's mechs. 'GG' in this instance does NOT mean that the losing side played a great game. What it does mean in this case is that the winners had fun and for them it was a good game. Well, here's a news flash: It wasn't a good game for the losers, so stop it. If you want to say better luck next time or something along those lines, that would be fine. But saying GG is just rubbing salt in an open wound. So, stop saying 'GG' if one side hasn't killed at least 4 mechs.

BTW, some have on occasion argued that saying 'GG' is a sign of good sportsmanship. It's a sign of good sportsmanship when it's said by the losers, not the winners.

Edited by mailin, 27 May 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#2 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

It is condescending. I don't type any general goodwill to the enemies after winning unless it really looked like they had a shot.

#3 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

The amount of angst per letter here is really high, even by MWO forum standards.

Dare I even ask where the "4 mechs" standard comes from?

#4 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

Maybe the enemy team was saying Git Gud if your team did so bad. Posted Image

Edited by Dakota1000, 27 May 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#5 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 27 May 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

Maybe the enemy team was saying Git Gud if your team did so bad. Posted Image

sometimes when people say "gg close" I read it as "gg close" instead of "gg close" as in, we got shutdown.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

This again...?

#7 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

I've had this in my forum signature for a while. I don't say gg in all chat at the end of matches unless it was one of those knock down drag out matches where we are fighting right down to our last two men. When my team wins, I will occasionally say gg in TEAM chat. There, I am letting my team know that they played well. I am not, however, trying to tell the enemy team we just rolled 12 to zip that it was a 'good game' or even close to it.

#8 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

I say GG WP after every match when I play video games. I say "good game" after every match when I do sports.

Posted Image

#9 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

Hey look - this discussion again...

There are two sides to this argument, and nobody changes their minds:

1 ) GG/gg is a good sportsmanship platitude that is the equivalent of shaking hands after a game in real life

2) people who feel it's condescending/insulting

Since nether side is going to change their minds - deal with it. Think how much less stress you'll have if you look at it like option 1.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 27 May 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

I am going to type GG whenever I have a fun match with no foul chat or griefing activity. No matter if I win, lose, stomp, or get stomped.

If you have a problem with this, then you can go treat yourself to a night-in with yourself. If you lose and feel sore about it, then go play a game where everybody wins every time, like hitting a piñata or something.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 27 May 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#11 Queek Head Taker

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

I'll only say good game if I'm watching and it's like 10 vs 11 and the one guy bring them both down and I'm laughing at the craziness of the last seconds of the fight no matter who WI s or loses I say good game in games like that.... Anything else just say nothing... Next game

Ya.. Saying gg is normal in hockey after the game everyone hit gloves says gg regardless if it was a **** or not

#12 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

Sry, it's good sportsmanship, I won't stop.

#13 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

Last time this came up - and that was only a week ago - I suggested that people who don't want their "GG" to be interpreted as insulting could perhaps type something other than "GG" to express their spirit of sportsmanship.

That way, there'd be less room for misinterpretation.

#14 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 27 May 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

Sry, it's good sportsmanship, I won't stop.

It's not really good sportsmanship in real life either... why would it be here? Noone forced to do this at the end of a real sporting match does it out of a sense of sportsmanship... they do it out of tradition. And of course, tradition holds that every single able-bodied member of both teams participate and shake every opposing members' hands.

And even then, it still has the peculiarly insulting quality it has in-game after a particularly bad match. Anyone who has been through a post-game handshake during a blow-out game knows it's an opportunity to have that win rubbed in the loser's face.

Still, that's an occasion where every player in a match participates out of tradition. Online games have no sort of enforced post-match handshake. You're neither required, nor even encouraged, to say anything. Thus, anything said at all is an overt act. Basic sportsmanship in online gaming would thus hold to the notion that NOT engaging in any overt act of any kind, and merely participating within the existing confines of the match, is in fact the correct sporting behavior. Tradition, then, for online gaming is to accept the win or loss graciously and move on. Any attempt to bring attention to the success of one participant or inadequacy of another would be UN-sporting behavior in this venue.

Saying "GG" at the end of a blow-out match is no different than tea-bagging a victim after you've killed them, and is akin to taunting the opposing team during the post-match handshake.

Edited by ScarecrowES, 27 May 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#15 HoldFast-TheDreadTier5PirateLord

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBFE Texas

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:10 PM

Maybe get over yourself, you dear, special snowflake. Win or lose GG is meant to show there is no ill will. If you take it as an insult, might I suggest that your ego is a bit fragile?

#16 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

GG

#17 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

Well, don't suck then.

#18 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 27 May 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

It's not really good sportsmanship in real life either... why would it be here? Noone forced to do this at the end of a real sporting match does it out of a sense of sportsmanship... they do it out of tradition. And of course, tradition holds that every single able-bodied member of both teams participate and shake every opposing members' hands.

And even then, it still has the peculiarly insulting quality it has in-game after a particularly bad match. Anyone who has been through a post-game handshake during a blow-out game knows it's an opportunity to have that win rubbed in the loser's face.

Still, that's an occasion where every player in a match participates out of tradition. Online games have no sort of enforced post-match handshake. You're neither required, nor even encouraged, to say anything. Thus, anything said at all is an overt act. Basic sportsmanship in online gaming would thus hold to the notion that NOT engaging in any overt act of any kind, and merely participating within the existing confines of the match, is in fact the correct sporting behavior. Tradition, then, for online gaming is to accept the win or loss graciously and move on. Any attempt to bring attention to the success of one participant or inadequacy of another would be UN-sporting behavior in this venue.

Saying "GG" at the end of a blow-out match is no different than tea-bagging a victim after you've killed them, and is akin to taunting the opposing team during the post-match handshake.

I think we have different understandings of sportsmanship, both online and offline.

I picked up the habit from Dota, where everyone, without fail, says GG at the end. Partially this is rooted in the original Dota, where if all five members of a team typed GG it caused a forfeit--and this tradition is still active in tournaments. But the point is that there is a tradition out there that is well-adhered to.

And where do you think these traditions come from? God? League organizers? Or the players? Yeah, in little league it's the parents that force the kids to do it, but in adult league it's completely up to the adults. Traditions are created and sustained by players.

As in real life, it's about the attitude in which you say and receive "Good Game." It's about recognizing that it's just a game, and thanking the other team for playing.

View PostHoldFast Hitokiri Battousai, on 27 May 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

... Win or lose GG is meant to show there is no ill will. ...

^This

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:26 PM

GG, two innocuous letters than can inflame the passions of the QQ Brigade like no other.

Because it can ONLY be meant to be insulting, and what some scrub I never will meet IRL says on the Intrawebz is so worth getting worked up into a tizzy over.

Seriously, folks, if this is getting your panties in a wad, all I can say is it's time to Nut Up, Buttercup!

I'd hate to see how you deal with actual adversity IRL.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 May 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#20 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

If my side gets rolled I will type "wp enemy team". THAT is good sportsmanship. It is acknowledging that my side got totally spanked and outplayed. My self-imposed 4 mech rule is because that is one lance. Plain and simple. I never type "GG" in all chat when I am on the winning side and the enemy has not at least killed 4 of us. I WILL type in team chat, "gj all", but I never rub my opponents' nose in it.

The reason this comes up is that there have recently been a couple of matches that were 12-0 and the winners were typing 'GG'. As I originally stated, from the losers perspective this is not good sportsmanship.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users