Crappy Framerate In Fp

11 replies to this topic

#1 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts
  • LocationI came here to laugh at you.(^・ω・^)

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hi there, i wanted to ask you guys if there's any way to possibly improve the framerate in FP on this crappy pc of mine. :U

The specs are the following:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gpP8TH

The cpu fan is a stock one and the PSU is one of those cheap 500W ones (can't recall the brand atm).

I've also been clearing the shader cache and the CPU and GPU fans on a regular basis.

This is the custom .cfg file that i've been using (it's a bit of an hodgepodge from various cfg files plus some modification that i made to it).
Spoiler

Thank you in advance. :Y

Edited by TimberWolf87, 28 May 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

Posted Image

This is gon'a hurt:
sys_budget_sysmem = 2048
sys_budget_videomem = 1024
sys_MaxFPS = 43

ca_thread = 1
e_ParticlesThread = 1
r_MultiThreaded = 2

r_multiGPU = 0
r_silhouettePOM = 0
r_stereodevice = 0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 0
r_TexMinAnisotropy = 0
r_Texture_Anisotropic_Level = 0
r_UsePOM = 0

sys_budget_soundCPU = 0
s_MemoryPoolSoundPrimary = 0
s_MemoryPoolSystem = 0

ca_thread1Affinity = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 0

sys_limit_phys_thread_count = 0
p_num_threads = 4

;sys_job_system_enable = 1
p_num_jobs = 2
sys_job_system_max_worker = 4
s_NumLoadingThreadsToUse = 4

e_GsmCache = 1
q_ShaderWater = 0
r_beams = 2
r_FogShadows = 0

r_PostAAStencilCulling = 1

e_ParticlesMotionBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
r_radialBlur = 0

r_SSAO = 0
r_SSAOQuality = 1
r_ssdo = 0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed = 43
r_AntialiasingTAAMode = 4
r_MotionBlurMaxViewDist = 4000
r_MotionBlurQuality = 2

I've done very little testing on my HTPC this year, and done zero on a card that small: The last three lines, here, may be more then you can handle, and assumes PostAA.

You want to set Anisotropic to x16 using nVidia Control Panel.

Teh Texture Patch means you now need to set to Low Textures for a one gig card; Being a four gig system should mean you can't bend that rule.

Head for guru3d.com and get both a fresh nVidia driver, and a copy of DDU to porperly clean out the old one(s).

Assuming your OS is 7 or older, you probably want a copy of http://www.lucashale...mer-resolution/ running while you game, in the background. Closing it ends it's effect …

I think https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/ is about Win7 on a hyerthreading CPU, but you should test it, yourself. There's a good argument to spring for it's big brother … Or risk doing things by had with http://www.bill2-sof...wnload-en.shtml for free.

You get to go here and puzzle out if your chipset/ mobo drivers are "most recent." Posted Image

A little beyond your request is going to both http://www.speedguid...t/downloads.php and https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm to tighten up your connection.

At some point, after all the new drivers, you'll want to type into a command prompt "winsat formal -restart clean" then add "sys_budget_streamingthroughput = x" to the user.cfg, where x is 1024 times the slower of the two HDD throughput numbers for the drive the games' shader cache is hiding on. (I've said diffrent versions of this for years, and you've cought me rechecking the theory yet again. Posted Image )

Just looking at the RAM price you quoted, I would not spend a dime on this box; Wait a few months to see how the GTX 1050 shakes out, and build something with a new motherboard.

Good luck … and post something in the Performance Thread? Posted Image

#3 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

Oh: Tone down the FXAA inherent to PostAA with "r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = y" where one is supaschmear, two is kind'a blured, and three is a little sharp …

#4 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

OP - I will echo everything Goose said with the added extra commentary that we really can't honestly expect to squeeze much more out of that system. Once a budget appears, I would recommend a full-on rebuild/upgrade. We can maximize builds for almost any budget around here, but obviously lower budget means lower chance of making any real improvements.

#5 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:37 PM

Woah, thanks for the replies guys!

I shall start working on those tweaks as soon as possible :3c

Btw i forgot to mention a couple things about the system specs...

1) The video card isn't the same as the one that is listed on the PCPartPicker page, it's actually the GDDR3 model
2) I've already tried by using parkcontrol
3) The drivers are already all up to date.

View PostGoose, on 28 May 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Good luck … and post something in the Performance Thread? Posted Image

Ty and will do! o7

Edited by TimberWolf87, 28 May 2016 - 04:38 PM.

#6 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

Yeah: You may have to set "r_AntialiasingTAAMode" to two, and lower the Anisotropic to 8 …

But seriously: When you change a card driver, use DDU.

#7 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

Ok, i've finally been able to test this out in a Faction Play match aaaand...

The performance has worsened... A LOT.
I'm getting constant screen freezes plus the framerate went down to 6 frames per sec.

EDIT: I've also been getting quite some screenfreezes during scouting matches too...

2nd Update: Getting lots of screenfreezes also in pub matches... I'm reverting to the old .cfg file...

Edited by TimberWolf87, 31 May 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#8 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

Well, let's take a quick look at the differences then. Faction play definitely has bigger maps and more mechs (which means dead mechs lying around for a bit while new ones are also coming at you). I suppose there are 2 possibilities here, both of which are probably relevant based on your system's rather weak specs (which, mind you, does not even meet the minimum requirements for MWO).

1) The draw calls are killing your CPU.
2) The GPU is simply not capable of handling the larger amount of rendering and/or the VRAM is simply not enough.

Now, the VRAM is a thing we have tested at higher settings so we can't be entirely sure about it in your scenario, but if the VRAM limit is getting hit and things are getting shuffled around, it could hurt a little. At Very High settings at 1080p, VRAM usage hovers around the 3GB mark, so with everything at low I would hope that it would stay under 1GB but I can't be sure.

If you have PostAA turned on, turn it off and remove anything AA-related from the user.cfg. If you have motion blur on, turn it off and remove motion blur-related items from the user.cfg. If you have damage glow on, turn it off.

Take out anything that should be assigning things to various CPU threads or otherwise dictating any control of the CPU. The game should be able to schedule mostly properly on a dual-core system. We've had some experience with it not, but I think most of our data there comes from systems with 4 or more cores so we might be getting a little greedy.

If you're playing at 1080p, or can tolerate an even lower resolution than you are using currently, reduce the resolution.

The most important tip, though, is to budget everything out and build a new system. Your current system wasn't meant to be a gaming system so echoing my previous comment - we can't honestly expect to squeeze much out of it, and any suggestions are pretty much into experimental territory.

#9 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:42 AM

… Welp: This is where making log files becomes teh thing.

Lots of things to test, and just a hair too ansi to check them one at a time.

Wired suggests undoing the thread placement set
Spoiler

Rem out the last three lines, being tweaks to Temporal AA; By "rem," I mean "just put a semicolon in front of it."

Drop both "sys_MaxFPS" and "r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed" down to 30.

Your old user.cfg has a "r_TexturesStreaming = 0" in it, which never before have I found to be a feature: Put it into "my" user.cfg, and see what changes. "Lots of little freezes" does sound like a streaming issue, when I'd set it to one, for example, but the default is two, and I've only seen that choke on the big dawn/ dusk events. Could it be "sys_budget_sysmem = 2048" is too low?

You DO have a 1GB card, right? Says here there were 512MB models …

You ARE already All Low, Damage Glow and Motion Blur off? "Threaded optimization" in nVidia Control Panel is set to on?

… And pick something out of the Dearspotter Array to stick with!
Spoiler

Who knows what the engine is using out of all that double-talk. Posted Image

Yes: That's in your old user.cfg, already …

#10 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

Had to weed out all of the duplicate lines in the .cfg file and yup, i'm running everything on the lowest possible settings with damage glow and other features disabled.

Also "Threaded Optimization" is turned on in the Nvidia control panel and indeed this is a 1GB video card (altough it's a GDDR3 one).

Btw the game used to run at 25-ish frames stable in FP for me one year ago or so...

Edited by TimberWolf87, 01 June 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

Soooo you weren't even meeting the 30 limit you'd set? Wish I'd know that before suggesting 43 …

OK: Set to 27, install Afterburner/ RTSS and HWiNFO, and make a log file of you doing clockwise laps of the two bridges on New River. I have a theory the cards' load should be ~75% doing this most of the lap, thus leaving capacity for moving enemy units.

… This might be a lost cause, I fear …

#12 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

… And you view said logs with GenericLogViewer …

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users