Looking For Next Medium Chassis/grey Death?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jebe457

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

I primarily pilot IS Mediums at this point. I currently own Hunchbacks, Blackjacks, Wolverines, and Griffins.

I'm currently looking at Shadowhawks and Centurions for my next acquisition, with Crabs probably after that. With the current sale I'm eyeballing looking the Grey Death hero mecha associated with this.

Any opinions on the Grey Death, and/or anything I should know about the current state of S-hawks in MWO?

#2 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

Many people figure Shadow Hawks aren't worth owning since there's usually another medium more quirked for the job they are trying to do (or with better hard point setups). They're pretty mid-tier overall, with a good few above average.

I eventually came around on them and quite like them now, but the hard point locations can be annoying. Some have nothing in the arms, or they only have 1-2 E hard points, or the arm on the wrong side has the hard points so you can't give up that side as a shield without losing your backup weapons...

Anyway once you get speed tweak I do enjoy them with STD250 Engines and whatever weapons you feel fit the quirks (many others like a big XL but it's speed vs. toughness and your playstyle matters a lot for that). Gray Death can fit some decent backup weapons for a significantly quirked AC10, or just go AC20 and 4 mediums. And it's got the most structure buffs of all the Shadow Hawks which helps.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 28 May 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#3 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

At one time they were the top medium mech. But after quirks made other mediums better at specific things and several more have been released as well the Shadow Hawks have kind of fallen to the side.

Regardless of that they are still decent mechs. It's true anything you want to do in them can be done better in other mediums, but you can do all of those things in these mechs decently well. It is a good starter chassis for figuring out your play style because most variants can be a jack of all trades.

As for the Grey Death, it does not offer much over the CBill variants, so it is probably not worth it. The biggest weakness the chassis has for me is they require more face time than other mediums. That is because the bigger weapon hardpoints are the torsos and they don't seem to twist quite as fast as other mediums.

#4 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

shadow hawks are great imo, i pilot them as my main and i do very well, depends what style you like the play as. here is my current powerhouse... i used the grey death also to great success with 1 ac10 and 4 ml

2D2: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf325aa46803dae

#5 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:49 AM

View PostJebe457, on 28 May 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

I primarily pilot IS Mediums at this point. I currently own Hunchbacks, Blackjacks, Wolverines, and Griffins.
I'm currently looking at Shadowhawks and Centurions for my next acquisition, with Crabs probably after that. With the current sale I'm eyeballing looking the Grey Death hero mecha associated with this.
Any opinions on the Grey Death, and/or anything I should know about the current state of S-hawks in MWO?

The GD is the best Shawk since it fits the Shawk's play style. Poke with AC10, when something else comes by, blast it away with an alpha.

Get rid of those useless JJ's, slap a big engine in it, 3t of ammo, ac10 and 4 MLs.

#6 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

I really like the Grey Death. Shadow Hawks have a reputation as having poor quirks, but the GD actually gets very nice ones for that AC/10: 20% cooldown and 25% velocity are exactly what this weapon needs. The 4xML near-everyone puts synergizes well with the AC/10.

In my own build I add a pair of SRM launchers. The meta-conscious would probably drop those and put in a bigger engine.

The GD actually has the best structure quirks of all Shadow Hawks, which isn't insignificant.

Good mech. But overall it's not terribly different from E.g. SHD-2D -- you gain one E and lose one M hardpoint -- so you'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth spending real $/€ on.

#7 GRRRT

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

I love my 2k and use it as my main IS scouting mech with an XL 340, 3 srm4 and 3 medium lasers.

Gray Death....after trying to use it many, many times with every build I could think of with abysmal results I eventually got fed up enough to sell the stupid thing. Don't get it its a complete waste of money.

#8 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:13 AM

View PostGRRRT, on 26 July 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

I love my 2k and use it as my main IS scouting mech with an XL 340, 3 srm4 and 3 medium lasers.

Gray Death....after trying to use it many, many times with every build I could think of with abysmal results I eventually got fed up enough to sell the stupid thing. Don't get it its a complete waste of money.

LMAO so its the mechs fault that you can only use meta mechs...

The proper GD build
GRAY DEATH

IF you want JJs, reduce engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users