#141 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 30 May 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Is the "Big things in July" still relevant?

I think the reason so many stick around is because of expected additions to the game.

Not me. I only play for the game as it is - and I've constantly harped on this - play the game and enjoy it for what it is, or don't. You can leave, come back in a few months, see how things have gone. But playing hoping things are going to happen is what leads to people being so bitter and angry, because things take a very long time to happen here.

Way better to just go away and come back later, than sit around getting ever angrier at the slow progress.

But that's just me.

#142 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostLordhammer, on 30 May 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

As if being active in forum makes you an expert.

Being active on the forums helps not look like a fool, like the OP for example, in proclaiming you have seen the light and MWO is dying, this time for realz!

Being active on the forums helps you realize that this self proclaimed profits of doom for MWO are just fools at have not been right at all.

It is not the first and will not be the last time some fool claims the end of MWO. The result will be the same then as it always has been, pointing and laughing at the said profit.

#143 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

I agree that MWO can be better, but ANY mech game is better than no mech game anyday

that does not mean that we cant moan to PGI about it, but we are proverbially "married" until some hot 20 something mech game comes along

Edited by AztecD, 30 May 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#144 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 30 May 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Being active on the forums helps not look like a fool, like the OP for example, in proclaiming you have seen the light and MWO is dying, this time for realz!

Being active on the forums helps you realize that this self proclaimed profits of doom for MWO are just fools at have not been right at all.

It is not the first and will not be the last time some fool claims the end of MWO. The result will be the same then as it always has been, pointing and laughing at the said profit.

One thing being disregarded is that no game ends right away. They all have slow deaths, they lose players over time and at some point it becomes financially unsustainable for the developer and gets shut down. I do share certain points with the op and the other "doom sayers". Its not an easy game to get into. Unless you were a mech warrior fan, chances are you'd not stick around long enough to learn the game thus enjoy it. It already has small enough player base and over 3 years i did not see any meaningful improvements in the game. What's been added since beta aside from maps and mechs, what content? FP is skeletal at best and very unbalanced in MM and game modes are either very similar (Assault/skirmish seriously why does both exist?) or really weird and unimaginative(domination).

In any case people stuck around because shooting mechs is fun but it gets old easy enough. I take regular breaks from the game and each time the period i spend playing lessens and the period i take a break gets longer. For me it's getting old. Its a shame because im a huge MW fan and probably finished mw4(veng+mercs) both about 20 times in total. I still regularly install one at times and finish it, and this game never gave me that level of awe at any point except the very original trailer; you know the one where a warhammer brawls with an atlas? That feeling was ******* awesome, never got that from the game however.

#145 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

MWO Future? PVE Coop campaign? Since what else can PGI really do to FW? At the end of the day, its a wash, rinse, repeat, PVP gamemode where one side has to break through gates and the other side has to try to keep the enemy from breaking through the gates in a sort of "Canyon Defense" style gameplay.

Sure, they can pay you gold for it, thye can pay the top players for being better at canyon defense then others, but in the end, its the same ol' ****.

PVE Campaigns, there is alot more freedom and the mission creation is actually boundless, limited only by the resources, work ethic and imagination of the dev team. If thye include the players for ideas and stuff, then it goes even further. Make it where we have PVE raids that go beyond just tunnel defense. Imagine Fire Base Griffon from MW4: Mercs but on a huge scale. Your clan gets together and you have to defend fire base Griffon from the 6th Wolf Cluster or something, so its like 16 guys against like 45 AI mechs, all coming in waves of like 20. You get fire support from the AI artillery Long Toms, the enemy gets dropship support, you can fight the mechs, the dropships and try to defend your base.

So much more then the FW currently.

#146 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 May 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

That has nothing to do with antitrust laws.

If you want competition on the IP, bring it up with Microsoft. They own the IP, and its theirs to do with and allow others to do with as they please.

Of course, you'd have to have some one with the inclination, capabilities, and finances to do better. Which you're not going to find. And even if there was someone, it's still up in the air if they'd succeed or not... but I'm not seeing people line up to licence the IP.

Ya, I that is why I said to bad they don't carry over to the gaming world. I understand it is more to do with copyright rights but I was being more wishful thinking than literal.

#147 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 30 May 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

MWO Future? PVE Coop campaign? Since what else can PGI really do to FW? At the end of the day, its a wash, rinse, repeat, PVP gamemode where one side has to break through gates and the other side has to try to keep the enemy from breaking through the gates in a sort of "Canyon Defense" style gameplay.

Sure, they can pay you gold for it, thye can pay the top players for being better at canyon defense then others, but in the end, its the same ol' ****.

PVE Campaigns, there is alot more freedom and the mission creation is actually boundless, limited only by the resources, work ethic and imagination of the dev team. If thye include the players for ideas and stuff, then it goes even further. Make it where we have PVE raids that go beyond just tunnel defense. Imagine Fire Base Griffon from MW4: Mercs but on a huge scale. Your clan gets together and you have to defend fire base Griffon from the 6th Wolf Cluster or something, so its like 16 guys against like 45 AI mechs, all coming in waves of like 20. You get fire support from the AI artillery Long Toms, the enemy gets dropship support, you can fight the mechs, the dropships and try to defend your base.

So much more then the FW currently.

Now THIS is a very fair line of criticism, and in fact it's probably the best. "MWO sucks because balance?" "MWO sucks because monetization scheme?" No. The biggest retention problem with MWO is simply that it's the same damn thing every time, with zero variety in maps or objectives to shake things up. Map design is part of that, gamemode design is part of that, and personnel issues and possibly technical limitations are part of that. We don't need Solaris; we need something new to do in-game. The 4v4 gamemode idea was a good step forward, but only the first of what needs to be many.

In short, PGI is suffering from the same problem that most games do: lack of content. The fact that the player avatar can take many forms, and that fans will pay out the nose for it, accounts for some of the game's longevity. But we do need more story-based content, fast.

#148 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 30 May 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

Go back as little over a year and there was no shortage of over-eager cheerleaders running around these forums.

As much as you decry the regular criticism of some, like me, I found it equally annoying reading the bleating of the cheerleaders back in the day. Thank God it's toned down just as much as the criticism.

Both have decreased, not because of improvement, but because of boredom and ennui.

Oh, no doubt the staunch and zealot player based has dwindled as have the disenfranchised and petulant... Some by their own hand and others through painful ban attrition. To be fair, even your criticisms have leveled out. Not sure if purely through resignation or you're expectations for MWO/PGI have pulled back a notch or two.

Regardless of the reasoning... It's nice to see them a bit more tempered and not so bloody shrill. Posted Image

I can defiantly buy boredom and ennui. It's absolutely fair to preclude MWO's pool has shallowed and as a result none of their earth-shattering updates have rustled anyone's jimmies. That said, once I realized MWO was not going to be the sweeping MMO space opera it was originally pitched as... I set my bar really low and as a result, I continue to enjoy the core game experience.

Did I settle?... You bet.

That said, I've been around PC gaming for so long now, be it as a player or a 3D content provider to know you can only affect so much with constant haranguing and derision before you become so hardened to any improvements that it's tough to accept anything as being less-than-expected.

MWO is a guilty pleasure for me... Yes, I wanted and expected so much more. But damn if I don't continue to enjoy what we got.

#149 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 30 May 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

Now THIS is a very fair line of criticism, and in fact it's probably the best. "MWO sucks because balance?" "MWO sucks because monetization scheme?" No. The biggest retention problem with MWO is simply that it's the same damn thing every time, with zero variety in maps or objectives to shake things up. Map design is part of that, gamemode design is part of that, and personnel issues and possibly technical limitations are part of that. We don't need Solaris; we need something new to do in-game. The 4v4 gamemode idea was a good step forward, but only the first of what needs to be many.

In short, PGI is suffering from the same problem that most games do: lack of content. The fact that the player avatar can take many forms, and that fans will pay out the nose for it, accounts for some of the game's longevity. But we do need more story-based content, fast.

Yeah, 4v4 is little more then TDM Skirmish, with 4 mechs instead of 48 or 24....oh, and one side gets to nuke the **** out of the other with a naval rail gun.

The problem with PVP maps is they have to "balanced" for both sides, so it really limits what you can do with it. Then, as for objectives, it doesnt matter what PGI does, in the end, the players will go for killing over the objectives. Its one nice thing about PVE and mech games, you more or less HAVE to do the objectives. There is no set number of AI on the map and often times doing the objective is what triggers the next set of mechs. Players, everyone is there to shoot.

PVE can be made alot more fun and enjoyable due to the lack of needing to make everything so perfectly balanced for both teams. I have tried to make a PVP map in Men of War's GEM editor, its alot harder to do then making a PVE map built around a set objective/mission flow. Also, its alot harder to integrate a PVE mission into a PVP map, since PVP maps tend to be very, idk what the word is, but the same.....on all sides. MWO maps are a little different though. THey seem to be decent for a PVE environment. I tried ot make my one PVP map into a PVE map and it actually didnt work that well, it feels real hodge podge....

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 31 May 2016 - 05:05 AM.

#150 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:52 AM

Why are some people so obsessed with dwindeling player numbers? Do they only play a game as long as it's "hip"?

#151 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 31 May 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

Why are some people so obsessed with dwindeling player numbers? Do they only play a game as long as it's "hip"?

Has to do with health of the game man...pretty obvious. MWO is on a slow death march since phase 1 CW release. It may be taking years but incompetent devs have kept it on that path.

#152 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

Yawn... the brown sea never changes

#153 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 31 May 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

Nope. Player numbers affect other players' experience in-game as well like CW or MM (if you do not have enough experienced players you will get some less experienced etc)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users