Mandatory Psr Tiers On End Game Scoreboard

98 replies to this topic

#1 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

Today I witnessed teammates trying to hit targets at 1,000 meters with SRM's.

Literally getting lock. Firing LRM's. Then firing SRM's. Repeatedly. In the way one might expect someone who has never played this game before in their life to do.

In theory, I'm not supposed to be in games with tier 4 and tier 5 players.

Somehow, someway, I get the feeling the matchmaker might not be working the way it was designed to.

Posted Image

#2 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

IIRC T2 can play with T4. And you can be T4 after 1 game. And really you can make it into T3 after something like 3 and T2 and T1 don't take long if you get lucky early on during the cadet psr boost.

#3 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

I don't know that PSR needs to be shown. What I do think needs to happen are two things:

- add a new tier and call it tier 6
- make it so that it is just as likely that you'll lose PSR, and as much, as you'll gain

Right now, it takes roughly 2 days of nominal play to go from brand new tier 5 to tier 3. The problem is that, at tier 3, you're just as likely to get dumped into games with tier 1s as you are tier 5s. Plus, if you're tier 2, you're still getting tier 4 players.

Add the new tier and block off 4-6 and 1-3. Call it a day and let everyone be happy and settle into the tier where they belong.

#4 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

View Postdario03, on 29 May 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

IIRC T2 can play with T4. And you can be T4 after 1 game. And really you can make it into T3 after something like 3 and T2 and T1 don't take long if you get lucky early on during the cadet psr boost.

If it is true that PGI doesn't bother testing many game features before release.

It may also be true to say they don't bother monitoring PSR and its impact on matchmaking.

If that's the case, the state of the game could benefit from PSR tiers being listed on end of game screens.

It might be the closest we'll get to real and accurate testing for PSR and how it might be improved.

That said, I forgot tier 2's could be grouped with tier 4's. I thought it was setup so that tier 1, 2, and 3 could be grouped together and tier 3, 4, and 5 could be grouped.

#5 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

My PSR always goes down! I went from a lofty 4 to a lowly 2! And... after most matches, I find myself inching closer to el basemento de uno... bah!
#PPCshurtmypsr?

#6 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 29 May 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

That said, I forgot tier 2's could be grouped with tier 4's. I thought it was setup so that tier 1, 2, and 3 could be grouped together and tier 3, 4, and 5 could be grouped.

That's how it's supposed to be.

Clearly that's not the case.

#7 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 29 May 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

It's a range from 2-tiers up and 2-tiers down; that is:

T1 fights T1, T2, T3

T2 fights T1, T2, T3, T4

T3 fights T1, T2, T3, T4, T5

T4 fights T2, T3, T4, T5

T5 fights T3, T4, T5

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 29 May 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

My PSR always goes down! I went from a lofty 4 to a lowly 2! And... after most matches, I find myself inching closer to el basemento de uno... bah!
#PPCshurtmypsr?

Posted Image

#9 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 29 May 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Posted Image

He was joking about his PSR always going down. Jeez people.

#10 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

its Very Likely you got some one not Fully Seeded,
probably Still getting their Cadet PSR Boost,

This Boost Does Have a Purpose,
as a Vet could Always make an Alt this will seed them quicker into their desired Teir,
also if a Vet from Past MW games comes they could be likely Seeded as they know how things kinda work,
seeding reduces Seal Clubbing and helps with Player Retention(if its working Properly)

the Idea is that do well in a Match PSR goes up,
Once your Finally going against People in your Skill your just Doing Average so you slow and no longer Progress,
you have found your Teir level and where you Belong, its not supposed to be an Experience Bar,

the problem is it mostly takes into account Big Damage and Win/Loss,
so its a good system that could work well, but it needs more Variables,
and it needs to Care about Winning and Damage abit Less,

#11 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:40 PM

Don't forget the rules go out the window in group queue

#12 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 29 May 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

T1 fights T1, T2, T3

T2 fights T1, T2, T3, T4

T4 fights T2, T3, T4, T5

T5 fights T3, T4, T5

I have to say...after the crap I saw in the T1 solo queue earlier...I seriously doubt that lots of people in T3 should actually be in T3.

#13 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostGyrok, on 29 May 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

I have to say...after the crap I saw in the T1 solo queue earlier...I seriously doubt that lots of people in T3 should actually be in T3.

What, you don't think the tier system should be an XP bar? Posted Image

There are lots of people in tiers they do not belong...because the tier system is a one-way ticket up.

#14 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

The idiotic thing is that Pgi CEO tell us "we don't need your suggestion; we know what to do", after months of ppl saying tier system is plain $h1t and we need zero based psr. (at which pgi ceo asked what a zero based sum is).

#15 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

I have been completely against this idea since I first heard of it. I guess I still am. I have NEVER played with so many completely hapless, totally incompetent air-headed boobs as I have tonight. Makes me want to quit the game it was so incredibly awful. So I'm waffling on the name-and-shame of the in-game PSR. On the one hand, it would be nice to be able to follow some of these 40 point wonders. On the other hand, it's going to make me want to drop out of the match immediately. Not sure whether, on balance, that's a net negative.

I was on one team tonight where our entire scout lance of RVN-2X, BJ-1X, MLX-PRIME, SDK-5K did a whopping 118 damage. Mediums did much better (and not much at that) at 1,003. Assaults? LOL. What assaults. Had a Catapult K2 that did 40 damage.

Their team? Lights @ 990 - their LIGHT lance did almost as much as my entire team! Mediums @ 1,047. So that was about even. Their Assault lance did 2,087. Our assaults did 741. And my Summoner did over 400 of that. So, our entire team did less than their assault lance. And one of theirs was a disconnect.

Matchmaker is doing a hell of a job!

Think it's time for me to take a break from the game.

#16 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:10 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 29 May 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

Today I witnessed teammates trying to hit targets at 1,000 meters with SRM's.

Literally getting lock. Firing LRM's. Then firing SRM's. Repeatedly. In the way one might expect someone who has never played this game before in their life to do.

In theory, I'm not supposed to be in games with tier 4 and tier 5 players.

Somehow, someway, I get the feeling the matchmaker might not be working the way it was designed to.

Posted Image

You ever think that maybe they accidentally put srms in their lrm firing group? The arrogance of some players....

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

Are people seriously still worried about tiers? Blimey!

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 29 May 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

You ever think that maybe they accidentally put srms in their lrm firing group? The arrogance of some players....

Guilty as charged. I'm just glad no one also noticed my MGs. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 29 May 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#18 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:00 PM

PGI knows that if they show us PSR at end of match, we're just ganna B&M about it, about how the MM is all screwy and how we all want a decent MM and bla bla bladiddity blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

IMO the only reason people want to see ratings is so they can justify their complaints.

Nobody should concern themselves about PSR ratings because they aren't even a reliable metric to gauge anything off of.

View PostI Zeratul I, on 29 May 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

Posted Image
You're probably right because it's not designed very well.
Concept -> In-game probably went through a lot of iterations, sacrifices, and a lot of lazy people saying, "oh, well, we can't do that..." on things that would make a reliable matchmaker and rating system that actually works...

But instead we have what we have now.
Good enough, on PGI's standards. I'm sure in 3 years time, Russ will admit that PSR needs adjustment and they're going to a "complete rework" of it. Just like almost everything else.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 29 May 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#19 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:11 PM

The current system is biased, it is way too easy to climb ranks without any particular effort. I just tested it with an alt account, you are out of T5 and T4 in no time and at that point you can face T1 players. Which is really bad for both new players and T1 "pros".

All tiers should be equally hard to climb and it should be easier to go down in score adding one more tier would be useful too, a T0 perhaps..

#20 Aeon Veritas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:31 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 29 May 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

T1 fights T1, T2, T3

T2 fights T1, T2, T3, T4

T4 fights T2, T3, T4, T5

T5 fights T3, T4, T5

Yeah, thats pretty much the theory...
But what I question is how the MM handels this?

Lets say MM starts with a T3 Player.
The next one added is a T4, does that mean that the MM filters out all T1 for this match?
Or is the MM stupid and in case it starts with a T3 it is theoretical possible that T1 and T5 could be in one match?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users