Why Does World Of Tanks Have A Bigger Population?

287 replies to this topic

#21 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

They don`t sport mechlab. Which make every new comer repel.

#22 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostKhobai, on 30 May 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

pacific rim was still considered a flop though because it cost $200M to make

Flops usually do not have sequels. And a $200M profit is still nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by Mystere, 30 May 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#23 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 30 May 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

They don`t sport mechlab. Which make every new comer repel.

The off field game play leaves a lot to be desired that's for sure.

#24 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 30 May 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Things world of tanks have that mechwarrior lacks

More focused customization per tank meaning each tank is balanced for its tier. This alone is probably the biggest problem MWO has. Allowing full customization eliminates the need for more mech chassis and makes balancing the chassis impossible. The irony in MWO is that because all options are open all Mechs have become uniform in their loadouts.

Actually, it means there's no customization at all except in a handful of tanks, because nobody uses worse equipment if they've got the XP/credits to unlock and buy it. The only customization, visual aside, that is real is when you have more than one top gun for a tank based on whether you prefer X or Y. For example, look at T-44. 100mm top gun or 122mm top gun. 122mm is better for brawling, but god forbid you want long range... which the 100mm has no problems with.

And ... umm... balanced for the tier, is it? umm... I hate to break it to you, but WoT has lots of balance issues. Latest patch even replaced a certain infamous german E100-based tank destroyer with an auto-loader because it was just broken, it couldn't be balanced.

Compared to that, MWO is well balanced!

Static hp values with weak points unique to each chassis

True, MWO allows one to tweak armor so HP values vary. Every chassis is unique, though, so I'm not quite sure what the point is. Are you talking about the armor layout and how there's usually weaker armor spots you can target to get through otherwise impenetrable armor?

You know, in MWO you don't ever get in a position where you just can't damage somebody else, short of actually getting all your guns ripped to shreds.

Cone of fire. The lack of one in MWO is actually a unique thing.

God, CoF. The RNG... this isn't really a good thing, you know. Okay, the example I'm about to give is World of Warships, but it aptly illustrates the power of the RNG and why it's NOT a good thing.

So, here I am, in a nice tier 8 battleship, putzing around and shooting broadsiding cruisers to death. I get hit by two high explosive shells, no damage. Yeah, fine, I'm a BATTLESHIP. Need more than that. Oh... incoming torpedos. Well, first wave isn't going to hit me but the second wave I can't completely evade so let's just turn to port a bit, take one torpedo and dodge the other three. That's going to hurt but OMG WHAT. I just died... uh... Detonation. Yeah, dead in one shot........ a torpedo that would do maybe ~15k damage dealt me 63900....

Yeah, welcome to World of RNGesus. You want this here?

Okay, fine, it's not a CoF example... but it illustrates the principle. With a CoF you're handing off control of your performance to an arbitrary game mechanism that you have precisely zero control over. It doesn't matter how well you aim if RNGesus is flipping a finger at you. Been there, shooting perfect shots every time only for RNG to scatter them all to hell and back....

Slower rate of fire which when paired with the cone of fire system makes each shot more precious and requires far more tactical skill and more risk vs reward for getting the right and accurate shot.

Also the more infuriating when you have the perfect shot lined up and RNGesus decides NOPE you miss.

Or your secondary guns on your nice battleship miss the enemy by a mile, hit that friendly cruiser, set it on fire and it burns down to death and you get a -1 kill credited to your name, get to pay his repair bill AND get Team Killer status.

Yeah, seen that too. It's rather comical.

Tanks have roles and no apologies are made with regard to roles just hands down beating other roles.

Uh, mechs due to their natural characteristics also usually tend to be used for particular roles... but I get what you mean. Tank classes. *shrugs* Meh.

Frequent map additions

A progression and achievement system people Will spend large amounts of time trying to earn

Yeah... to an extent this is true. It's also a major source of complaints because who the heck wants to be the low tier shooting practice in a match?

#25 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostScratx, on 30 May 2016 - 09:22 PM, said:

With a CoF you're handing off control of your performance to an arbitrary game mechanism that you have precisely zero control over. It doesn't matter how well you aim if RNGesus is flipping a finger at you. Been there, shooting perfect shots every time only for RNG to scatter them all to hell and back....

Sigh! After thousands upon thousands of posts on the topic, people still cannot tell the difference between a normal and an even distribution. People still think the kind of CoF being asked for will result in 180-degree shot deviations. Posted Image

Well, it's either that or some are just plainly exaggerating specifically to influence the even bigger fools who don't know any better.

Edited by Mystere, 30 May 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#26 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:47 PM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 30 May 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

Better advertisement and marketing. And also WoT support Mods but only for Skins, Sounds, Interfaces.

Better? You mean ANY marketing?

Have a table at every game convention. Not just video game conventions. Gencon etc. Go to an energy drink company, say you want to hand out drinks with an MWO coupon on them. They'll toss product at you. Walk around. Talk to people. Give them a drink on a hot day. Hand out free water. Direct them to your booth. Have people playing accounts with every mech and even mechs that are ready, but not launched.

It does cost cash to get people to these events, but if you don't spend cash, you won't get the population needed. That 20k spent on each convention, maybe 3 a year isn't going to sink you, but it may help you swim.

C-Bill and GXP coupons at the booth. Do hourly raffles for mech coupons. Piggy back off of Catalyst and any other Battletech IP.

Get people to sign a waiver. Have a cardboard robot fight with foam swords. Have people smash each other until their bits fall off for a prize and glory. Cardboard Zellbrigen.

Have a video contest for this. Have people smash each other up, send in the video. You get a submission prize and then the community votes for a winner.

All this creates chatter in gaming spheres, drawing attention to MWO. Attention it needs.

Where there's a will. There's a way.

Edited by GAGONMYlOCK, 30 May 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#27 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

WoT have aspiration and vision for their product.

If you don't actually believe in your product, if the most you aspire to is to milk whales by eking out minimally viable product for as long as your licence allows, you won't bother advertising, adding cool features, or doing any of the things that will ultimately create the kind of high quality game that is wildly successful.

Believing your product will only ever be marginally successful is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Appogee, 30 May 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#28 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

maybe the lack of marketing?

While every other game is in the news, PGI is blowing money on a tournament that nobody outside the mwo community will watch or will even hear of. I haven't seen *any* news about it on gaming sites.

When MWO hit steam, it was a start with all those youtubers making a little wave for mwo and it worked to some extend. But not enough. You can't just stop advertising your product or have a sale every second weekend and hope people will play.

You need to spend money on advertising your game. That is why WoT is bigger, not because it is a better game.

#29 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

View PostKhobai, on 30 May 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

because its a better game

I played 25k games in wot before i gave up. So i can answer to this.

MWO is a FPS, basically, it's like playing CoD with a giant trooper and plenty of weapons. All game mechanics are related to the limitations of a basic trooper. You see only what is in your field of vision, you have to turn your cockpit to check around you, exactly like a standard trooper would. And there's no camouflage at all, you can pimp your mech without problem, since from a distance, they all look black and are easily spotted. This make tactical flexibility rather limited, and focus on the shooting aspect only, something that is even aggravated by the pinpoint convergence of weapons.

WoT is not a FPS, it's a tactical moba. The mechanics of spotting, for example, are very detailed and allow for a lot of tactical tricks. The tank commander is actually actively spotting around the whole tank, and not just in front, and to ambush ennemies, you have to be smart, but at the same time, the tanks have a working camouflage that allow to use terrain to obtain this, much more easily than with MWO. The way armor works, it's not ablative, you have to defeat it with every shot if you want to damage the tank structural integrity, and eventually the inside components. If you mess your shots and can't defeat armor, you can litterally empty your ammo without any effect. This, with the dispersion circle depending of your gunner, your tank, your gun, and your movements, make the game entirely focused on tactics.

Finally, MWO is competing with all the CoD, BF, CS:GO, and it just doesn't cut it. It's definitely not the best FPS around. On the other hand, WoT had no competition before WT and AW came out, and is still a top tactical game.

WHile it has no sense comparing the two games, since they are definitely not in the same gameplay category excepted for being a moba, from a success pov, WoT is just better designed for what he intend to do. The only thing that saves MWO is that it's the only Battletech game around...

#30 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:48 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 May 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Considering that awful movie Pacific Rim reportedly earned over 400 million USD worldwide, I think there is an untapped market for giant robits.

As the saying goes, "money" talks.

well MWO did get in a lot of money.. founders, clan packs etc.. still this is what we have

#31 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:53 PM

That money was pillaged by IGP. They were straight up raiding this IP.

#32 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

This is what I interpreted from all the comments.
  • Need more Marketing
  • Target the marketing onto the right audience (fans of.... "robots...")
  • Cut and run from countries that simply have no interest (in terms of advertising). And concentrate on areas that likey the robots.
  • And increase server quality to areas of the globe that have people who want to play. I meet lots of interesting people when I have all the region boxes checked. However, they sometimes just.... have a bad connection. And they are stuck with it.

#33 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:40 AM

I play World of Warships a lot. It's related to WoT as it's the same parent company. But how do they retain their large population? These people make so much money that they host charity events almost every quarter.

They add content every month (not just ships, but maps and game modes. They're not afraid to start maps simple and add more as they progress). They patch constantly for game balance. They listen to and interact with the community. They have a great payment model that makes you want to pay but doesn't force it. They focus their team members on certain areas at a time rather than spreading them out too thin. And they learn from their mistakes in a timely manner.

PGI does none of that nor do they seem to take lessons from other games. They've been hurt by the toxic words of this community and rather than understand how hostile the internet is they have decided to shut themselves away and fumble around blindly. Eventually even the diehard whales will get tired of supporting them and they'll fail.

#34 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:42 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 31 May 2016 - 12:40 AM, said:

I play World of Warships a lot. It's related to WoT as it's the same parent company. But how do they retain their large population? These people make so much money that they host charity events almost every quarter.

They add content every month (not just ships, but maps and game modes. They're not afraid to start maps simple and add more as they progress). They patch constantly for game balance. They listen to and interact with the community. They have a great payment model that makes you want to pay but doesn't force it. They focus their team members on certain areas at a time rather than spreading them out too thin. And they learn from their mistakes in a timely manner.

PGI does none of that nor do they seem to take lessons from other games. They've been hurt by the toxic words of this community and rather than understand how hostile the internet is they have decided to shut themselves away and fumble around blindly. Eventually even the diehard whales will get tired of supporting them and they'll fail.

They just need to stop what they are doing, drink 3 cups of coffee, and start makin some phone calls.

#35 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:44 AM

View PostScratx, on 30 May 2016 - 09:22 PM, said:

God, CoF. The RNG... this isn't really a good thing, you know. Okay, the example I'm about to give is World of Warships, but it aptly illustrates the power of the RNG and why it's NOT a good thing.

Also the more infuriating when you have the perfect shot lined up and RNGesus decides NOPE you miss.

Controlled RNG can still be fun. A perfectly lined up shot can till hit the target 100% of the time if the shooting mech is standing still or moving at slow pace, for example. This will have added benefit of teaching people to use mech throttles that are not either 0 or 100%.

*edit* Heat penalty can be incorporated with CoF mechanics too for even more immersiveness.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 May 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#36 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:52 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 May 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

Controlled RNG is can still be fun. A perfectly lined up shot can till hit the target 100% of the time if the shooting mech is standing still or moving at slow pace, for example. This will have added benefit of teaching people to use mech throttles that are not either 0 or 100%.

Not only speed, also heat (if we ever get a real heatscale).
But that would be too much, for pgi and a lot of players.

#37 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostSickocrow, on 30 May 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Also the vast majority of players is the Russian base. They peak 200k on the European servers and if I remember has a few shards. The NA server does around 30-40k. Oceanic about 25k. The Chinese server is hidden. I'm a long term WoT player, but not played it in ages. I was getting sick of the power creep and the dodgy bounce mechanics. Like a 122mm shell bouncing off half inch plate. If I hit something in MWO it stays hit, bar the dodgy HSR on fast lights.

They are like 5 to 7 shards in Russia alone, and combined they peak around 800k. That is concurrent peak, not total player base.

This doesn't count the WoT in the XBox and PS consoles, and the Blitz version for Android and iOS. The mobile version from what I heard has been wildly successful.

Currently I stick to World of Warships and Armored Warfare for my gaming. I like things that are new and fresh. I don't like the direction where War Thunder is going (got missiles now) and WoT has long ran out of every possible historical tank, prototype and proposal and seems to be just making things up now. WoWs for me has the most potential of any new wargame --- the ship models are mind blowing in their detail --- but they seriously need to get the British Royal Navy and the German Navy in.

Warships have an even stronger emotional connection than you can imagine, than just being tanks. People still see them in museum ships and many have family members that serve in them. One player admits to having his grandfather serving as a cook in the German Tirpitz battleship. Yesterday, the game released the USS Indianapolis, and one player is happy to see this in memoriam to his grandfather who died in that ship --- his bunk was right next to where one of the torpedoes hit and would have died instantly in his sleep unlike so many of his shipmates that ended up as shark food.

Edited by Anjian, 31 May 2016 - 01:25 AM.

#38 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:01 AM

Royal Navy comes after the German battleships, which are next I believe.

#39 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:02 AM

Because it came out years before this.

Because it's a more complete game.

Because despite some national bias, it's a better balanced game.

Because it has convergence

Because hit registration works.

This goes for world of Warships as well, though they seriously dropped the ball with World of Aircraft

#40 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:26 AM

yeah wows is good, and got RNG, is RNG that bad thing? Every good game out there got it, from CS, WoT, wows, armored warfare, etc.
I say, control able amount of RNG is good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users