Bringing Back Features From The Old Mw's

12 replies to this topic

#1 Solemnwind

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Honestly i was a hug fan of this game for the longest time, until i saw game-play videos of mech 4 and 3 as well as playing them. And i have to say this game took a horrible turn from those wonderful games. First topic is the armors. In the old games you actually could tell if you were in an assault mech because you could tank damage for quite an extended amount of time, where as in MWO, even if you are in the most heavily armored mech in the game, you can go from max armor in your center torso down to being cored just from two mechs of any smaller weight class, and lose all your armor in a second. Honestly that's stupid, why bother being so heavy from armor and weapons if you can just be blown away by any mech that comes around the corner? Next problem i have is the fact that clan omnipods are NOTHING like they should be, AND the fact that they are getting rid of omnipods in general in some of the newer clan mechs. It completely ruins the fact of them being an advanced mech and makes them no better than an inner sphere mech, IF not less as powerful because of the mounds of quirks (buffs) that almost every single IS mech gets. PHI i have to say, i'm uninstalling this game after i post this because this game isn't even playable to me anymore because of the fact that you cant check around a corner without losing half your mech if not dying immediately. Sorry PGI you ruined the mechwarrior series. I can't even play this game anymore, seeing how good the older games where and the fact that you actually feel like a giant war machine. To me, this game feels like its just Call of Duty in mechs, also doesn't help that community has gone WAY down hill since it was added to steam.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:45 PM

Time to kill is no different here than MW3/4. Arguably more then 4, actually, given how exploitable the build system was with 4. Weapons do roughly the same damage, we've got double armor, etc.

They aren't getting rid of Omnipods. There are omnipods on Clan Omnimechs, and not on Clan Battlemechs. This is as it should be. Likewise there will be IS Omnimechs, and IS Battlemechs.

I could go on, but you're uninstalling anyways, so what's the point? *shrugs* But your post is pretty much entirely, flat out, wrong.

#3 Solemnwind

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

I won't bother arguing, i've tried to talk to people about this before and they all just try to say its balanced. Damage values as well as the broken ***, ridiculous builds that people can do for absolutely no reason. Like being able to have 2UAC20's as well as some lasers on a medium mech. My post is valid, and you proved my point that the community is almost just as bad as LoL community because of you being outright rude about it without trying to talk, so have fun with it, i'll check back in another year and maybe the will fix their mistake. But as i said at the start, im not going to argue with you because it'll never change anything, this game is beyond fixable, and is made to impress the next generation of gamers who are lazy and don't care about well build games.

Edited by Solemnwind, 30 May 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#4 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostSolemnwind, on 30 May 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

I won't bother arguing, i've tried to talk to people about this before and they all just try to say its balanced. Damage values as well as the broken ***, ridiculous builds that people can do for absolutely no reason. Like being able to have 2UAC20's as well as some lasers on a light mech.

I am very curious to know which light 'mech you think can do this, because I have played (and still own at least one of) every light chassis in the game and I can't think of one that can do it.

#5 Solemnwind

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

View PostCyborgDragon, on 30 May 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

I am very curious to know which light 'mech you think can do this, because I have played (and still own at least one of) every light chassis in the game and I can't think of one that can do it.

My mistake, meant medium, i edited it. Was referring to the hunchback IIC

#6 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

View PostSolemnwind, on 30 May 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

My mistake, meant medium, i edited it. Was referring to the hunchback IIC

But the Hunchback IIC comes stock with 2xUAC/20s + 2xERMLas, so people aren't really breaking the game by running that build.

#7 Solemnwind

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

A huge problem i have with this game is just that damage values compaired to the amount of armor a mech can have is ridiculously unbalanced in the sense that my Dire Wolf could have 12 small pulses as well as 2 gauss rifles, totaling the damage to 102 for and alpha is extremely absurd considering that that can remove ALL of the CT armor of any assault as well as damage the component as well, for just one shot.

View PostCyborgDragon, on 30 May 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

But the Hunchback IIC comes stock with 2xUAC/20s + 2xERMLas, so people aren't really breaking the game by running that build.

I didnt say its exploiting by running it, im saying that, that is ridiculous that something that small can deal about 80 damage within a second or 2, when its just a medium

#8 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:50 PM

View PostSolemnwind, on 30 May 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

I didnt say its exploiting by running it, im saying that, that is ridiculous that something that small can deal about 80 damage within a second or 2, when its just a medium

But that's what that 'mech was designed to do, and has to sacrifice either speed, armor, heat efficiency or ammo to do it. So I'm not seeing the issue here. Don't get me wrong, I agree that this game needs a LOT of work done on it's balance, but using a 'mech that people build as it is intended to be built isn't really helping your argument.

#9 CARLTHELLAMA

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

While I agree that it is annoying to get smashed so quickly (happens to me all the time) it is consistent with the physics of the game, and oddly realistic (real life=one missle destroying a Main Battle Tank), plus it forces teamwork and punishes Rambo-ism. I believe that the features that should be reinstated from the old games are not so much in-battle longevity, but things like being able to crouch the mech, the mech going out in a nuclear fireball when its reactor is breached (which would discourage light mechs from tucking up behind you or getting in a close range death spiral), knock downs, etc etc.

#10 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

yeah old Mechwarrior back to a real gauss rifle, also the original values for everything, and no quirks!

(PS I'm only being half-sarcastic, you decide which half... and go!)

Edited by Max Rickson, 01 June 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

You are aware that both max armor and internal structure was doubled during early beta from base stats?

One of the outstanding issues is the lack of an actual heat scale except when hitting 100+%. Another is many of the heavy hitting weapons cooldown timers are too short.

Each MW game (and MPBT) did things different. For the original MW, EGA MPBT 3025, MPBT Solaris and EA's MPBT 3025 did not have a mech lab and long recycle (cooldown) timers. MW2-4 had varying delays but they were also meant for PVE with some multiplayer abilities. So they came out as complete games with no constant updates. Mektek did have updates to MW4 Mercs, adding mechs and such.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 01 June 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:52 AM

the KDK1 has a stock firepower of 110, and that was a load-out from Battletech where Mechs had half the armor they do on MWO, that 110 damage would likely have been spread all over the enemy Mech rather than mostly focused on 1-2 components, if that damaged was all put into the CT that was a kill in Battletech but in MWO an assault Mech can survive that, quite possibly with some armor left on the heavier assaults.

the main issues with MWOs implementation are;

People can place the damage exactly where they want, in Battletech it was random, a dice roll decided where the damage went, a precisely aimed 110 damage alpha strike is likely to kill anything below 70 tons instantly, however that is because of the doubled armor, otherwise anything would go down in a single well aimed hit to that firepower

that the heat scale allows people to perform such a huge alpha, in Battletech 30 heat would cause you to shut down regardless of how many heatsinks you had and you would start suffering heat penalties way before shutdown, in MWO you can setup a a Mech to be able to produce 60+ heat alpha strikes without shutting down or suffering any serious heat penalties

And finally, the weapons in Battletech were designed to do their damage number over a period of 10 seconds, the Pontiac 100 AC20 found on the Victor and Yen-Lo-Wang fired 100 shells over 10 seconds for that 20 damage where as in MWO the AC20 on those Mechs fires a single 20 damage shell every 4.7 seconds.
You can put out all your Mechs damage every 3-6 seconds rather than every 10, in some cases like the AC2 the weapon does 10 or more times the Damage in 10 seconds than its Battletech equivalent did.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

On the heat scale. Just to put things into perceptive though, as well as the firing of weapons over a time period.

BT (10sec rounds) a player would have had to fire enough weapons to generate 30 heat + 20 = 50 total heat for shutdown (minimum with 10 DHS - engine). Bad things happened. rolls for ammo explosions, pilot damage, etc. If less than total 50heat, then mech slowed down, hitting things became more difficult.

Solaris (2.5sec rounds) Everything is a multiple of 4, heat scale, weapon and other heat, etc, but heat dissipation was still 1 or 2pts/round. 120 heat scale + 20 (10 DHS in engine) = 140 max heat. Or put in BT HS 30 + 5 = 35.

Solaris also introduced weapon delays (cooldowns). isERLL/LPL/ERppc had a delay of 3 (7.5secs). Fire Rn1, 2, 3, 4, fire Rn5. cERLL/LPL/ERppc had delay of 2 (5secs). Fire Rn1 / 2/3/ fire R4.

All the PC MW/MPBT games have made allowances when transiting from the boardgame to the computer. The ones where players could change their loadout and tweak their builds were primarily a single player campaign game with multiplayer aspects tied into it. This is the first game that is primarily a PVP with continuous updates, which really changes the entire ballgame.

But as Rogue noted, the really critical piece is the ability of most weapons hitting the spot being aimed out at, no CoF/convergence mechanism. While the armor sections, even though pts have been doubled, the sections themselves have not changed either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users