The Victor Should Be Good

56 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:20 AM

Because it's the only thing which can do this: VTR-9S

A reasonably fast (>80 kph) AC/20+3SRM6 weapon platform. Coupled with Jump Jets, it should function like a shock trooper coming in and out of battle while being able to quickly incapacitate anything it sets its eyes upon. The Clans have an arguably superior version in the form of Timberwolf.

If only it looked better, I'd buy it. The 'Mech looks like an overgrown CN9-AH with Jump Jets.

#2 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

You missed the good ol days when every auntie and their kitten ran victors...

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 31 May 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

Because it's the only thing which can do this: VTR-9S

A reasonably fast (>80 kph) AC/20+3SRM6 weapon platform. Coupled with Jump Jets, it should function like a shock trooper coming in and out of battle while being able to quickly incapacitate anything it sets its eyes upon. The Clans have an arguably superior version in the form of Timberwolf.

If only it looked better, I'd buy it. The 'Mech looks like an overgrown CN9-AH with Jump Jets.

It USED to be a 'Roid Raging Centy on a PogoStick.

In fact that was my exact description when it was released. But with it's JJ so nerfed, the egregious oversize of the model, and the level of focus fire today? It's really not good any more. I recently leveled them on a fresh acct for the What Mech Challenge that Ed Steele posted, and it was pure agony... despite at one point the VTR being my chassis of choice. (And not a poptart but a brawler build)

Also, it's tube count doesn't really lend itself to a full 3x6 loadout.

With the rescale it might be a bit better. But it needs ST buffs, badly. Fixing it's JJs even more so, but that won't happen.

View PostMycrus, on 31 May 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

yes but almost no one actually ran brawler builds. It was all toaster pastries, all the time.

#4 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:29 AM

I ran lurms on mine...

#5 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:30 AM

View PostMycrus, on 31 May 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

Yeah, I know that. But then again, how it was used was "a bit different" to what I wrote here.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

Also, it's tube count doesn't really lend itself to a full 3x6 loadout.

Damn, I missed that. They should fix it!

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

If the Victor was akin to a Zeus with jump jets (even nerfed jump jets) it would be okay, maybe even good. What it is however, is an Awesome with jump jets but worse than even that analogy sounds.

#7 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

Hell I remember pop-tarting, the Victor was king with the Highlander running a close second and I would take it over peek and shoot, alpha warrior, and ring around the rosie any day! Don't think it would be as big a problem now with the high alphas, they would just wait till you popped up and BLAM!!

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

'Roid Raging Centy on a Pogostick

375xl is a trifle overkill, found 350-360 to be it's sweet spot. 3x SRM4 usually is still more effective overall than 3x aSRM6 (still clusters better, higher RoF) though the 2 tube launcher is still a nuisance. Lasers make up for any perceived loss of firepower and give you some extra zip if you do lose your right arm. Biggest thing is it has massive ape hangers still, so I would never strip armor from the arms as the longer they last, the longer you protect that XL.

Anyhow, this is the exact build I used to hunt and kill Compy Poptarts all the live long day back before Paul utterly ruined the VTR.

#9 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

Another reason why old mechs are usually worse than new mechs. An arbitrary number of missile tubes, preventing good builds like this.

But maybe the Victor will be great again after the rescale. Feels a bit pointless to discuss what needs to be done, untill we see the result of the rescale.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

View Postspottiedogman, on 31 May 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

Hell I remember pop-tarting, the Victor was king with the Highlander running a close second and I would take it over peek and shoot, alpha warrior, and ring around the rosie any day! Don't think it would be as big a problem now with the high alphas, they would just wait till you popped up and BLAM!!

It's not just the big alphas now, it's the weak JJs. before you got up, shot and dropped. FAST. Minimal risk, max reward.

Now, you move slower than a freight elevator with a fat person convention on board.

All that needed to be done was extend reticle shake a half a second from cutting JJ thrust, and everything would have been fine. Fall damage and JJ Heat would still have been nice additions, though.

But the utter mobility nerf to JJs was just typical Paul Kneejerk overkill.

His idea of "balance" is face planting on both sides of the balance beam equally,apparently.

#11 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

I made a thread on the "Feature Suggestion" subforum about the VTR's missile tube counts. Hopefully they read it....

http://mwomercs.com/...simultaneously/

#12 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

View Postspottiedogman, on 31 May 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

Only if they knew where it would pop up. Posted Image

Having said that, it's time for an "I told you so!" moment. I find those who loudly and incessantly whined about poptarts extremely shortsighted. Poptarts would be useful today against those high-alpha behemoths. But these whiners have killed the play style and are now paying dearly for it in spades.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

It's not just the big alphas now, it's the weak JJs. before you got up, shot and dropped. FAST. Minimal risk, max reward.

Now, you move slower than a freight elevator with a fat person convention on board.

All that needed to be done was extend reticle shake a half a second from cutting JJ thrust, and everything would have been fine. Fall damage and JJ Heat would still have been nice additions, though.

His idea of "balance" is face planting on both sides of the balance beam equally,apparently.

As often as this sort of thing has been repeated here and elsewhere...and not just for the Victor (see also the Highlander, and for that matter any heavy or assault running jump jets) you'd think someone at PGI would at least acknowledge it. I mean I have no hope that jump jets or mechs that need redesigns (not just rescale) will every be actually fixed, but an acknowledgment wherein PGI blows sunshine up out collective exhaust ports, and says "yes we know this is an issue and we hope fix it at some point" would do wonders for the community's sense of faith in PGI. At the very least it would give the impression that someone over there cares.

Sorry, I must be suffering the DTs again. Back to my island.

#14 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

I missed the heyday of this mech because poptarting and the pricing on Wave 1 disgusted me enough to leave for a while before I bought one. I wish I piloted them when they were better, as I think it was in the Warrior trilogy they make it a complete badass and I want to drive that mech. But that version really doesn't exist in MWO.

Then again, neither does the Awesome it fought.

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

Ultimately it's because PGI keeps using their gut to make balance changes rather than statistical analysis.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 31 May 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

Ultimately it's because PGI keeps using their gut to make balance changes rather than statistical analysis.

I think you give them too much credit. Going by gut would still achieve better balance than what we see. This is Balance by the Dartboard of QQ.

#17 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 May 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

I think you give them too much credit. Going by gut would still achieve better balance than what we see. This is Balance by the Dartboard of QQ.

I don't know man. Seems to me that there is an awful lot of QQing about the results of some of their "fixes". That particular form of QQing is largely ignored it seems to me.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 31 May 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

I don't know man. Seems to me that there is an awful lot of QQing about the results of some of their "fixes". That particular form of QQing is largely ignored it seems to me.

hence the dartboard part....

#19 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

I'm just saying that there is nothing random about how they ignore their mistakes or show outright hostility when the community points out how a fix isn't really a fix. No dartboard there...rather it is laser like focus.

#20 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

If they update the missile tubes along with the rescale, It'll have a role to play as a fast assault brawler. If jumpjets were good again it could get a jumpsniping niche back too. Really hoping those two changes happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users