Are Ppcs Decent Now?

96 replies to this topic

#1 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

I wonder, played 2 games in my Warhawk with the 4x CERPPC build and it seems to be performing markedly better then before. Granted, im now playing with 35-50 FPS, so I can track things, but they seem to be alot nicer then before. Actually scoring decent hits at, well, still kinda close range.

560dmg, 3k and 745dmg 4k. Idk, worlds better then the barely breaking 200 I used to do. Maybe my time in the BZ is finally paying off? lol.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 31 May 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

I wonder, played 2 games in my Warhawk with the 4x CERPPC build and it seems to be performing markedly better then before. Granted, im now playing with 35-50 FPS, so I can track things, but they seem to be alot nicer then before. Actually scoring decent hits at, well, still kinda close range.

560dmg, 3k and 745dmg 4k. Idk, worlds better then the barely breaking 200 I used to do. Maybe my time in the BZ is finally paying off? lol.

I never stopped using them. Hitreg still seems a little fluky with group fire, but no more so than anything else.

Still too slow, considering their heat, but usable, at least on Quirked Chassis.

#3 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

The Warkhawk is a great PPC boat. Even being a quirkless clan mech, the heat dissipation and boatability is great. Getting good fps does a lot of good for target tracking, so I am inclined to think that those are the biggest reasons.

As Bishop said though, group fire is sometimes wonky. Even in training ground I have sat there and watched all my double ppc shots count as single shots while in my Warhammers.

#4 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

No they're still ****

#5 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostYosharian, on 31 May 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

No they're still ****

Yosharian... You'll have to Jump!

#6 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

No, they are still bad. My poor HGN 733C is sad.

#7 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Depends on the mech, the PPC/Gauss Timby/Kodiak have their uses, but outside of combinations with Gauss not really sure.
Clan ERPPCs are probably in the best position thanks to the dissipation and amount of DHS you can stack and have the range at which they can be useful at a long range poke fight. That and you can use TComps to mitigate the velocity problem.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 31 May 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#8 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

PPCs are fine on heavily quirked chassis.

They're not fine on... Anything else.

What they should do with PPCs, in my humble opinion, is significantly increase their base velocity (50% would be enough), remove any velocity quirks from mechs that have them (if the base velocity is increased, the quirks are no longer necessary and having different mechs with vastly different projectile velocities is a real pain in the arse to use). Next, they should really change the way the minimum range works for IS PPCs.
Instead of dealing 0 damage 0<90 meters. I'd argue for full damage, however if fired under 90 meters, they would deal small amounts of internal damage to the mech (that would be percentage based and not a flat amount, because i don't want to f*ck over smaller mechs).

#9 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

View PostMoldur, on 31 May 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

The Warkhawk is a great PPC boat. Even being a quirkless clan mech, the heat dissipation and boatability is great. Getting good fps does a lot of good for target tracking, so I am inclined to think that those are the biggest reasons.

As Bishop said though, group fire is sometimes wonky. Even in training ground I have sat there and watched all my double ppc shots count as single shots while in my Warhammers.

I chain fire mine. Better on the heat. I do sometimes dual fire them just for added punch, it scored me a Kodiak today.

Warhawk isnt quirkless, it has 15% more velocity and 8% less heat generated, so, its not unquirked.

View PostMoldur, on 31 May 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

That being my numero uno problem for so long.....getting sub 30 FPS......I can only imagine where I would be sitting had I had proper FPS all this time.

#10 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

Yes, they've always been fine, provided you can get the velocity up. The Warhawk is great but I find the Summoner the best at wielding ERPPCs. It can poptart and it's fast enough to pull off snapshots around corners--this absolutely murders laser vomit.

#11 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

Some mechs are better than others for sure still.

Not as good as they should be compared to lore though. The only real reasons to take them over large pulse lasers is range and less burn time.

#12 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 31 May 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Not as good as they should be compared to lore though. The only real reasons to take them over large pulse lasers is range and less burn time.

...and because they go on the Warhawk like the AC20 does the Hunchback. The Swayback and w/e other concotions people come up with for that mech, it makes me cry, and im not even a fan of the Hunchback.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 31 May 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#13 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 31 May 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

...and because they go on the Warhawk like the AC20 does the Hunchback. The Swayback and w/e other concotions people come up with for that mech, it makes me cry, and im not even a fan of the Hunchback.

Yes that too. Mechcommander for me growing up was fitting as many PPC's on a mech as I could, so the Masakari was a dream come true.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

im using them more than ever. had one game on terra therma running a 3 ppc whammy, got 2 one hitters with it.

#15 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

PPC's are bad when you keep forgetting they have a minimum range because youve only used ER for a year. After 2 days of doing nothing but poptart dual ac5 2 ppc on my Heavy Metal im getting the feel of it and kinda stop getting too close.

The weapon itself is a 10 point of pin point damage which is excellent under any condition as it has always been.

#16 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 31 May 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Depends. I looked at my stats and realized that I do way more damage with ERPPCs vs cLPL (IS LPL is an entirely different beast). I hit with cLPLs >80% and ERPPCs only about 60%, but I do nearly twice the damage each time I connect. If I'm using a velocity- quirked chassis or have enough tonnage for a big TC, I'll take ERPPCs every time.

#17 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 31 May 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

Yes that too. Mechcommander for me growing up was fitting as many PPC's on a mech as I could, so the Masakari was a dream come true.

Lol, I used to do that as well. I did for awhile use cheats to pretty much load my mechs up with all Clan tech right out the gate. I stopped once I started getting owned by mechs with short range running circles around my mechs, realizing, long range doesnt work in hug distance. So, I go with 1 or 2 LR, 1 or 2 MR and a flamer or AC20. Pretty much makes the game ez street. Oh, and stopped using cheats, ive pretty much beat the game alot.

I always wanted to mod the game to start me with a Warhawk W, Summoner W, Mad Dog W and the Timby from the one mod.

#18 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

I never stopped using my PPCs. There was a brief moment in time where PGI nerfed the travel speed on PPCs so badly that you could see them coming, get out a good chortle, and then side step the shot before it actually impacted. That particular level of nerfing didn't last long before a buff came out, and they've been just fine in my opinion ever since.

#19 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

#20 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

The Warhawk can fit a big TC to get the velocity up which makes the CERPPC work fine, and IS PPCs work fine on mechs that have a 40%-50% velocity increase.

So yeah, if they just upped the base velocity by 40%, the weapons would be fine for everyone. Now it's just a few mechs that can use them properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users