#201 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostSteelHoves, on 26 September 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

I want to point out that u cannot use a QP leader board event to show balance in a totally different game mode. in quick play u have 1 mech in FW u get 4. I think people tend to not look at the real cause of the current FW imbalance. Clan SSRM6 is the real imbalance here. It is mechs like the MDD and HBK that can run a large amount of SSRM 6 effectively that make this weapon so powerful. This weapon removes IS lights and medium mechs up to 45t from being effective. its very common for a competent Clan team to have 4 or more Streak mechs in the later rounds to one shot those mechs. IS teams knowing this are forced to run 3 to four lighter heavy mechs and maybe only 1 medium of 50+ tons. well when u run say 4 60-65t mechs u open the door for the Kodiak 3 to shine. So this puts the IS at a tactical disadvantage. IS is limited to the mechs it can run to counter Clan drop decks. Having been on both sides of the fence and seeing this match after match its not hard to see why IS especially the loyalist dont show up anymore.

You are hitting on the 2 current clan tech "edges" that seem to to come up the most amongst pilots who drop IS. I know not all pilots would agree. My point is just to highlights that these 2 points (clan Streak and KDK-3) seem to often be at the crux of the balance discussion at the moment (as far as mechs and tech are involved). I don't hear much noise on other clan advantages (such as range, damage, etc), as they come with trade offs like higher heat or can be tactically countered.

#202 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 26 September 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

You are hitting on the 2 current clan tech "edges" that seem to to come up the most amongst pilots who drop IS. I know not all pilots would agree. My point is just to highlights that these 2 points (clan Streak and KDK-3) seem to often be at the crux of the balance discussion at the moment (as far as mechs and tech are involved). I don't hear much noise on other clan advantages (such as range, damage, etc), as they come with trade offs like higher heat or can be tactically countered.

Now that the UAC10s have GH properly applied, even the KDK 3 is not *that* much of an advantage. Its still a strong assault, but not that it can't double tap all 4 uac 10's with out serious heat, its not as OP.

Again with the streaks, you can mitigate those with heavies and bigger mediums. Anything a streakboat can't kill in 1-2 alphas can probably kill it because it can't aim all that damage at open components and firing 5-6 SSRM6 generates massive heat. SStreaks have TERRIBAD reload times. Streakboats are bullies kicking sand on 90 pound weaklings on the beach. Don't be the 90 pound weakling. If this is FP, bring your lightest mech 2nd wave (situation depending of course).

Edited by MovinTarget, 26 September 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#203 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 September 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Now that the UAC10s have GH properly applied, even the KDK 3 is not *that* much of an advantage. Its still a strong assault, but not that it can't double tap all 4 uac 10's with out serious heat, its not as OP.

Again with the streaks, you can mitigate those with heavies and bigger mediums. Anything a streakboat can't kill in 1-2 alphas can probably kill it because it can't aim all that damage at open components and firing 5-6 SSRM6 generates massive heat. SStreaks have TERRIBAD reload times. Streakboats are bullies kicking sand on 90 pound weaklings on the beach. Don't be the 90 pound weakling. If this is FP, bring your lightest mech 2nd wave (situation depending of course).

I agree the Kodiak isn't what it was and in often is a relatively easy kill when not used in sufficient numbers or in an organized firing line. 4+ kodiaks in an organized firing line is something else...even with the uac 10 thing fixed. But like many things in this game it's all a matter of opinion. Again I mentioned it as the kdk-3 just seems to be at center of these mech balance discussions for the IS anyway. Overall, I don't think any other mech is seriously discussed when talking about balance. At least for the moment. Which is a good thing for the game.

Regarding streaks: I agree with you on the counter and it I like to run reinforced stucture light heavies or heavy mediums with standard engines in wave 3-4 just to annoy the guys running Streak boats. I have been with teams that dropped lights in wave 1 of Counterattack defense to go out and come up behind the clan assaults/ heavies as they go approach the gates. That is effective. So dropping lights earlier is effective in some modes. I would have my doubts in other modes though. In invasion defense you are going to find yourself seriously outgunned in defending the gens if you drop them early. Would just make defending the gen tough on some maps. But again it's a matter of opinion and I have never seen a team I was on try that...

Again, I highlighted it because that is the clan weapon system that IS folks talk about in this discussion. Streaks actually don't bother me personally...The fact that only 1 weapon system gets serious discussion on this is probably a good thing for the game.

#204 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 September 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Btw: all the best to you and your unit. Enjoyed dropping with you today...

#205 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 26 September 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

Btw: all the best to you and your unit. Enjoyed dropping with you today...

Our pleasure! had some good games!

#206 exiledangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 200 posts
  • Locationhalifax ns canada

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

who ever here thinks clan mechs are a joke then come laugh with us in the IS. if your all gun-ho about it being a joke then come to are side of the fance

#207 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Are you really incapable seeing what the creation date on this thread has?

During past 7 months there have been several changes that have changed balance, to both directions.

Early half of 2016 Clan mechs were clearly less capable on FW, since then balance has gotten better. End result largely depends weather IS drops as unit with meta invasion deck. In that case Clan side have lesser chance of success.

#208 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Let it go Smoke, if they wanna look funny necro'ing old threads... it gives me a chuckle, at least...

#209 KODIAK-AU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostAria Wolfe, on 09 January 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

Hey MovingTarget! Your post from September is only a few months old, and the topic is continually discussed. I only replied because I like the 2 Stars vs 3 Lances idea. It was the way Lore went.

And because changes always happen, isn't it good to update relevant threads due to new players reading the forums first to learn?

Basic forum rules are do not revive old threads, post a new one is the better option.

What you will most likely achieve is a MOD coming and locking the thread.

#210 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

Well, yet another nerf to Clan mechs is coming in March. XL torso loss penalty to heat efficiency increased from 20% loss to 40% loss.

#211 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 13 January 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Well, yet another nerf to Clan mechs is coming in March. XL torso loss penalty to heat efficiency increased from 20% loss to 40% loss.

What is funny a few are actually okay with that, instead of balancing out the XL engines and making the isXL durable w/different penalty/percentage. Wait til PGI increases the movement penalty.....

PS. Not particularly in favor of the increased penalty.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 13 January 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#212 Harper Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 200 posts
  • Locationwashington state

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

well it looks like we need to do like the IS and make about 200 whining posts about our mechs sucking,,,PGI WTF
do the IS mech make you more money than the Clan??? or do you just don't want anyone to buy em???

Of course no one from PGI are going to answer..

Sigh

#213 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

View PostHarper Steel, on 14 January 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

well it looks like we need to do like the IS and make about 200 whining posts about our mechs sucking,,,PGI WTF
do the IS mech make you more money than the Clan??? or do you just don't want anyone to buy em???

Of course no one from PGI are going to answer..

Sigh

Many wanted PGI to move the isXL into the cXL catagory w/differential penalties, not increase cXL penalty.

#214 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

Many wanted PGI to move the isXL into the cXL catagory w/differential penalties, not increase cXL penalty.

Available Engine types:
http://www.sarna.net...i/Fusion_Engine
http://www.sarna.net...ion_Engine_-_XL
http://www.sarna.net..._Engine_-_Light
http://www.sarna.net...ngine_-_Compact
http://www.sarna.net...on_Engine_-_XXL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users