Live Stream Broadcasts Of The Mwo World Championships 2016 June 3rd & 4th!

25 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

Come watch the MWO World Championship Matches Broadcast LIVE on https://www.twitch.tv/piranhagames

This week's Broadcast Schedule:

NORTH AMERICA Matches - June 3rd @ 5PM PDT / 8:00PM EDT / June 4th @ 2AM CEST

EUROPE & AFRICA Matches - June 4th @ 10:00AM PDT / 1:00PM EDT / 7:00PM CEST

#2 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

Awesome!

Mechbay sale please!

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

The 2 guys commentating do a really nice job - apreciate it very much!

PS: The red text showing Mechs and Pilotnames in the Viewer is hard if not impossible to read and i have my Twitch quality set to "source".
The Blue Text is pretty sharp and clear but the Red Text is very blurred somehow...

Edited by Thorqemada, 03 June 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#4 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:51 AM

You have to do something with the dead air. I can't be bothered to keep watching a holding screen. Otherwise, it's quite fun for to watch although most of the games I've seen have followed a very similar pattern.

Good job overall.

#5 BanditB17

Competitive Play Moderator & Shoutcaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 517 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 04 June 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

You have to do something with the dead air. I can't be bothered to keep watching a holding screen. Otherwise, it's quite fun for to watch although most of the games I've seen have followed a very similar pattern.

Good job overall.

Thank you for your feedback! We are getting some new elements ready to fill in that space. Hopefully the time between matches will be more entertaining in the future! Thanks for watching!

#6 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostBanditB17, on 04 June 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Thank you for your feedback! We are getting some new elements ready to fill in that space. Hopefully the time between matches will be more entertaining in the future! Thanks for watching!

I thought you guys did a respectable job despite the last minute cancellations and the streaming problems. It was even interesting seeing how a unexpected problem is handled in the tournament as illustrated by the one team needing a mulligan due to issues with one of its players experiencing a glitch.

I wish the video quality was a little better in observer mode. The footage from in cockpit is nice and clear but the floating camera looks out of focus.

I would be great if you guys could fill time with reports of other match results that were not broadcasted. Something along the lines of a Sports Center report. Even better if you had video clips that could be shown or a previously recorded match that could be shown between the live matches.

#7 Skramble

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

Could not watch all of the broadcast live due to work and family obligations. Though with all of the dead time, watching past broadcasts probably the way to go for me. Though will be watching live again.

I do hope the Broadcasters reviewed their own videos, so they can see what font colors do not work for the stream to make today's stream even better. Most likely they have, for it seems they are striving to improve on all aspects of their cast ;)

As far as the commenting goes, the last two games are the best in this cast: https://www.twitch.t...ames/v/70377103

The casters got into build and play strengths and weaknesses, along with what a team could have done differently to prevail. Participating teams should review their casts and discuss what changes they need to make.

Without a replay feature in game, the teams that do get casted will have an advantage. For currently there is no way for players to effectively review and discuss what went wrong or right with each game.

Casters keep up the good work and seeing your streaming skills develop will be fun to watch.

For the Participants, good luck to you all and please show up ;)

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Just popped in to say: great commentators. They know their stuff and they add a ton to the livecast.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 03 June 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

The 2 guys commentating do a really nice job - apreciate it very much!

PS: The red text showing Mechs and Pilotnames in the Viewer is hard if not impossible to read and i have my Twitch quality set to "source".
The Blue Text is pretty sharp and clear but the Red Text is very blurred somehow...

Agreed I think they been doing good, I like they been showing more of the loadouts at the start of the match.

I would like to see some viewpoints from the mechs fighring mixed in.

#10 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

I just finished watching today's broadcast of the European matches. That was a great improvement from the last broadcast. The replay of yesterdays' Kcom game was much appreciated. It would be great to see more of those as filler between the live matches. I saw someone suggest running the MWO trailers during the breaks that would be good filler too. I only had three instances of stream lag. The matches were entertaining and well announced. The analysis of the game play was good. I would like to hear about the recent winners of other matched that were not broadcast.

I really think these broadcast have a lot of potential to increase interest in MWO if you can get the word out and have more people watching. There was around 500 watching today. It would be nice to see 10x that amount.

Great progress!

Edited by Rampage, 04 June 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#11 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

Bandit and MDzero - Thanks for the entertainment this week! As mentioned above, the "dead time" between games is tough, but with out a larger staff to feed you Stats, clips from previous matches\tournaments(previous leagues?), or Bio's on players/groups, I'm not sure what you can do about it. You guys must have ALOT more free time on your hands than I do to put this together. LOL

I will be looking forward to next weeks "casts", and am using them to show off the game to folks who don't currently play!

Thanks again!

#12 mdmzero0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostSkramble, on 04 June 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

Could not watch all of the broadcast live due to work and family obligations. Though with all of the dead time, watching past broadcasts probably the way to go for me. Though will be watching live again.

I do hope the Broadcasters reviewed their own videos, so they can see what font colors do not work for the stream to make today's stream even better. Most likely they have, for it seems they are striving to improve on all aspects of their cast Posted Image

As far as the commenting goes, the last two games are the best in this cast: https://www.twitch.t...ames/v/70377103

The casters got into build and play strengths and weaknesses, along with what a team could have done differently to prevail. Participating teams should review their casts and discuss what changes they need to make.

Without a replay feature in game, the teams that do get casted will have an advantage. For currently there is no way for players to effectively review and discuss what went wrong or right with each game.

Casters keep up the good work and seeing your streaming skills develop will be fun to watch.

For the Participants, good luck to you all and please show up Posted Image

Unfortunately, the font colors are not something we can control- that's set by the spectator tool in the game itself. That being said, we're aware of the issue.

#13 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

Watching on and off, been doing a great job guys keep it up.

#14 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

Watched a replay, enjoyed it more than I thought I would. (for most of the following note that I'm no regular Twitch user and know nothing of the interface) Would be a *lot* better if I could maximize the game screen at will and not have most of the screen filled by talking heads (sometimes I want to see it all, sometimes I want to see the commentators, etc). The window in the lower right also blocked all of the weapon/loadout information so I couldn't see what the current mech focus was carrying, what the cooldown was, etc.

Not having been deeply involved in this topic, is the Twitch stream offset in time at all? i.e. "live" but with a thirty second delay or so? Otherwise it'd be cake to have someone watching the stream showing where your opponents were and what their maneuver is along with discussion about how to counter it in real time.

#15 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:06 AM

I believe they are offset by 5 minutes to stop dual screen cheating. By the middle of the match you could probably see what mechs the opponents are spawning with (just in time to see what they just killed you with in some cases :P ).

This is actually part of the rules for streaming, as any team can stream if they want to, but are required to set a delay of minimum 5 minutes to the broadcast (otherwise the match is forfeited).

#16 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:32 AM

why announce this so late. like all your stream sessions.

And maybe set a low-res muted stream up live on this page next time.

#17 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

Felt like I was watching a Powerpoint presentation with the lag I kept seeing. Video quality was terribad even on high or source. Commentators were okay, though sounded a little biased at times, especially discussing loudouts. Who are these guys anyway? They aren't even PGI from the looks of it. NGNG maybe? Would've expected Phil or Daeron if that was the case. At least they know how to stream. Either get them to do these, or PGi themselves. Not some nobodies I never heard of before. It's an official tournament held by an official company. If anything I would expect it to look professionally done at least.

Edited by Sevronis, 06 June 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#18 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

These guys are volunteers using their own time to do this for the community. They are well know around PGI and the competitive scene and they know their stuff. If you have ever watched the PGI streams then you would see there screen names pop up in the chat where they are often moderators.

Give them some credit. I do not know which stream you watched. The first one was rough with issues with the stream and teams not showing up for their matches. The second one was much, much better and ran pretty smooth for a stream. They are learning and will continue to improve. By the time the matches really mean something, they will have it down pat and I expect the streams will be even more entertaining.

#19 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostRampage, on 06 June 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

These guys are volunteers using their own time to do this for the community. They are well know around PGI and the competitive scene and they know their stuff. If you have ever watched the PGI streams then you would see there screen names pop up in the chat where they are often moderators.

Give them some credit. I do not know which stream you watched. The first one was rough with issues with the stream and teams not showing up for their matches. The second one was much, much better and ran pretty smooth for a stream. They are learning and will continue to improve. By the time the matches really mean something, they will have it down pat and I expect the streams will be even more entertaining.

Granted and I get that for minor tournaments like unofficial ones done by the player base. But for something like this, I expected more like what the official LoL tournaments look like. Hopefully the quality will be much better as we get closer to the finals. Also, thinking back on my biased comment, I suppose I went too far there since everybody is a bit biased, even me. To me they just sounded like the competitive mindset and elitist opinions that I tend to hear from the 'betters', which annoys me and why I don't tend to be too heavy in the competitive area. Almost was going to be on the SRoT BBQ team but I was offline doing other things the weekend they were looking for me, so I lost out. I suppose with my opinions it is better I wasn't anyway (like I believe it's more about the pilot than the loudout and min-maxed alpha striking). So I apologize for those words. Typed before I thought.

#20 Crystal Blade

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

overall the streams have been great, and you guys deserve a lot of praise and appreciation from the community for doing them. thank you! (and i can only imagine the inevitable burnout after casting your 500th canyon network match four months from now, heh.)

disclaimer: i'm not sure how much (if any) outside support/assistance you guys might have either from PGI or other community members, and i know you're only two people with only so much time, resources and skills that you can leverage for various features. some of these ideas i'm sure have been suggested before, and some might be more feasible for the regional finals when the field has been narrowed down, or for matches between the established top teams. i've never streamed myself, so i might not be aware of some technical limitations... but all that being said, here are a few suggestions of mine based on what i've seen:

- when showing the post-match map overview (where you draw the teams' movement during the match), the layout still had your webcam video feeds displayed in the center of the screen side by side, so the map overview was just plopped on top of your faces, with the sides of the webcam feeds poking out from behind the map... obviously it would be slightly more ideal if those were moved to the top left/top right corners of the screen for that portion.

- for the more established teams, during the pregame screen/discussion there could be a box highlighting their league/tournament rankings (such as displayed on the sidebar of heimdelight's twitch profile, for example), as well as mentions of the most notable individual players (i.e. psichih0lic finished #1 on two different Kodiak variants during the leaderboard event, TwinkyOverlord averaged 1,000dmg per game in the KDK-3 during the event, etc).

- for all the teams, you could ask the leaders to submit brief statements including info such as team bios describing the players/unit's background, origin, and experience, goals for the tournament, things they may have learned since the tournament began, etc.

- during the wait time between games you could play some quality MWO videos (like many of the ones by these two guys), and solicit from teams (or use already existing) promotional unit videos to play before that team's upcoming match (like this 12DG video for example).

- you could have "special guests" as commentators between/after matches, people from one of the top competitive teams to analyze games and discuss strategies like Jager/TheMagician, and to discuss the mech builds used by the teams and why they were or were not optimal/effective, like the infamous GMan.

- when discussing commonly used mechs/builds, having a view to display a large picture of the mech, with its quirks and the smurfy build overview listed next to it.

- after the match, play back the full screen first person view of the best shots/kills, replay the game from the POV of the match MVP/player(s) with top damage/kills (not sure if this is technically possible unless you had someone already watching and recording their view though)

TL;DR version:
- layout issues during post-game map overview with overlapping webcam video
- info box/discussion of team backgrounds, league/tournament experience & standings, notable players
- play MWO videos/trailers and unit promo videos between matches
- special guests from top teams to analyze strategy and mech builds
- display picture/build/quirks when discussing common mech builds
- first person replay of the key kills or MVP/top scoring players

Edited by Crystal Blade, 06 June 2016 - 03:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users