You Know Pgi Has Done Stepped In It... When I End Up Play Wot Instead. (And Some Mwo Musings)

272 replies to this topic

#21 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

View PostHelene de Montfort, on 05 June 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Sorry man, but i have to do it :

"Git gud"

Because what you describe happen only in very low tiers...

I hate to break it to you, but knife-distance fights were/are very much still a Thing at "high-tiers" because it's the best/only way to give your shots the most probable chance of not being f***ed by the armor/penetration system. The only differences between "low tier" games and "high tier" games were how much of an impact artillery had, and how many MBTs/TDs were present.

#22 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

I just picked up WoT this weekend. I really like how everything in the environment can be run over and destroyed. The aiming reticle is really nice, too. But, it is a really over simplified game that doesn't have much depth and, damn, it requires a lot of grinding.

The only thing that MWO is missing is game depth. FW turned out to be nothing more than solo/group queue on a bigger map. None of that is gaming depth. Nobody cares about taking planets when the bulk of the player population just wants to hop in and play a quick 5-10 minute game. Plus, what PGI fails to realize is that solo queue is one bucket with 4 different sub-buckets, group queue is another bucket with, hypothetically, the same 4 sub-buckets. THEN, you add in two new buckets with FW-Scouting and FW-Total War. They've essentially splintered the game into 10 different groups yet each group is exactly the same as the other. It doesn't matter if the wrapping paper is red, blue, green, etc. The present on the inside is the same exact thing. Not for nothing, but that just get boring after a while.

#23 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

Tried War Thunder? Tanks and airplanes.

#24 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

I DONT CARE.

#25 phulcrum

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:53 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 05 June 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

To give you an example, I'm at about Tier 5 to 6 in WoWS. Will I someday get to Tier 7? Probably, but I'm not going out of my way to get there. Does it really matter? Not really - I'm happy where I am in the game. But you can't really in good faith say the same thing in MWO with regard to leveling your mechs - nobody says, "Eh, maybe someday I'll unlock Speed Tweak, but I'm happy without it." So, the practical grind in MWO is often worse because you have to get to the end - fully leveling and customizing your mech - to be able to compete with your foes.

So in my brand new tier 6 I'm as equal as the same tier 6 ship who has gotten all its upgrades and has things like more HP than me, longer range than me, etc? What about flags? If that same captain has been playing longer than me they most likely have a larger collection of useful flags than I do giving them an advantage. You didn't give the best example...

View PostDrxAbstract, on 05 June 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

Warships is fun if you enjoy a slow, methodical game. However in my time spent there the whole visibly thumping people's ships in critical areas with HE and AP rounds for negligible damage 90% of the time and AA weaponry is pretty much useless, Cruisers are ineffectual compared to Battleships and their high-caliber cannons, well-orchestrated Carrier planes and Destroyer torpedoes. Just my opinion, but if you're going to try it, avoid spending any more time than necessary in the Cruiser trees.

Obviously you haven't learned the nuances of WoWS and the different ships yet.

#26 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

Was this video review correct?

#27 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

World of Tanks, that's the game about a plumber fixing/installing water heaters before they explode, right?

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 05 June 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Nope. That's just regurgitated Reddit rants by someone locked in a state of permanent adolescent pique.

#29 Naelbis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 05 June 2016 - 05:38 PM, said:

I hate to break it to you, but knife-distance fights were/are very much still a Thing at "high-tiers" because it's the best/only way to give your shots the most probable chance of not being f***ed by the armor/penetration system. The only differences between "low tier" games and "high tier" games were how much of an impact artillery had, and how many MBTs/TDs were present.

Posted Image

The problem isn't the rng/pen system...the issue is you don't understand the game mechanics well enough to properly deal with it. These are 90+% solo stats..and I consider myself an average player. I also have 61 Tank sniper awards, which you can only earn from having the highest damage in a game, plus it must be done at ranges over 300 meters with an 80% or higher pen rate. Knife fighting is a thing because of how maps are set up to promote brawling, not because of the mechanics.

#30 phulcrum

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 05 June 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

People like him are just like those afternoon shock jocks on the radio (if people still listen to radios). They may have an opinion as simple as "I don't like MWO" but to get people to pay attention to them they must nitpick and put a negative spin on everything and use stupid sound effects to accompany their ranting. It's more entertainment than information.

Edited by phulcrum, 05 June 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#31 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 05 June 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

I just picked up WoT this weekend. I really like how everything in the environment can be run over and destroyed. The aiming reticle is really nice, too. But, it is a really over simplified game that doesn't have much depth and, damn, it requires a lot of grinding.

The only thing that MWO is missing is game depth. FW turned out to be nothing more than solo/group queue on a bigger map. None of that is gaming depth. Nobody cares about taking planets when the bulk of the player population just wants to hop in and play a quick 5-10 minute game. Plus, what PGI fails to realize is that solo queue is one bucket with 4 different sub-buckets, group queue is another bucket with, hypothetically, the same 4 sub-buckets. THEN, you add in two new buckets with FW-Scouting and FW-Total War. They've essentially splintered the game into 10 different groups yet each group is exactly the same as the other. It doesn't matter if the wrapping paper is red, blue, green, etc. The present on the inside is the same exact thing. Not for nothing, but that just get boring after a while.

lol, wot is very simple... when you start. But at some point, you will realize that players around you do a lot of things you don't understand. Especially those firing at you, you won't understand how they did, and many time you won't even see them.That's when the fun begins :

visibility and camouflage :

http://wiki.wargamin...nics#Visibility

Gunnery and armor penetration :

http://wiki.wargamin...echanics#Aiming

#32 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

World of Warships looks awesome to me. Naval combat ftw!

(I miss closed beta PotBS so much)

But ultimately i lack time and the will to get involved in another F2P PvP game, so other than a brief look some time ago, I'll probably never really play.

#33 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

some form of divergence when moving like WOT would fix some problems,

#34 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

lol premium pulse laser incoming

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

View PostLOADED, on 05 June 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

lol premium pulse laser incoming

yes, please by all means move the goalposts to a subject not even broached. Bravo.

#36 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

I have been getting more enjoyment out of painting my minis (again/finally). Sad, that getting that wash juuust right or that highlighted spot the perfect colour is more fun.

#37 phulcrum

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

Which game?

I've been painting up some Robotech RPG Tactics and MERCS minis lately.

#38 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

So, what does WoT use for match making?

#39 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

Incidentally, I would buy the hell out of a copy of Aerotech Online.

As would I. Posted Image

IMO, what someone (with more capability & skill in such things than I) needs to do is make an Aerotech mod using Freespace 2 as its base, in the same style as was done for Beyond the Red Line (BSG-themed mod) and The Babylon Project (B5-themed mod) and the ST-themed mod. Posted Image

#40 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

Couldn't get behind WoT even with a free premium tank they gave away.
Stopped playing World of Warships even after getting a free premium ship
Couldn't play World of Planes because I don't have a flight stick and the mouse/KB was wonky when I tried so I gave up

War Thunder is the same, the flight was better but the game just didn't seem very fun.
Star Conflict was fun for a couple days but no one I know plays it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users