You Know Pgi Has Done Stepped In It... When I End Up Play Wot Instead. (And Some Mwo Musings)

272 replies to this topic

#41 phulcrum

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:52 PM

I hate Star Conflict's reputation system. Want to buy that nice gun you think you'll like? Ally yourself with that faction and grind rep. Want that cool module another faction has? Ally with that new faction, destroying all reputation gained with the previous faction, and grind new rep.

#42 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:54 PM

View Postphulcrum, on 05 June 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

Which game?

I've been painting up some Robotech RPG Tactics and MERCS minis lately.

I'm old school. Warhammer Fantasy minis. They work nicely for my D&D games also.

#43 phulcrum

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Are you going to use them for Age of Sigmar since WHF is now no longer a thing?

#44 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:09 AM

View Postphulcrum, on 05 June 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

It'll always be a thing, whether GW is developing it or not.

#45 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:17 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 05 June 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

So, what does WoT use for match making?

Ignoring the thing you can't measure: Player Skill.
Just keeping the thing you can measure: the tank

Would work very great in MWO and would be very very simple all you need:
  • one or two database querys
  • a summary of your Mech Build
  • a function that compares both values
Ignore the player. No system could ever measure the player.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

3) Driving my Hetzer reminded me how glad I am PGI put a waist on every mech. Good gracious trying to swing my whole tank destroyer around to track and enemy is a pain.

Tracking tanks in a Hetzer? Why do you do this.... the Hetzer should be able to "hide" in plain side and kill everything up to T6 - some T7 tanks are impossible (wasn't able to kill a IS in my engagements - but to burn a Tiger in a Hetzer is fun either.

The Hetzer was (last time i played was before MWO) an offensive weapon in t4 - you could wipe out the full enemy team single handed, in T5 and T6 you had to be carefull.

And the aim mechanism became better with your crew. When i reached 100% camouflage with my crew, i could hit targets with deadly precision even on the move. - 1 shot 1 kill.

..about the aiming mechanism, wasn't there a simulator created by a community member? need to find it again. because a cone is not as bad as it sounds.
But a cone is not the cure - it would not solve the TTK issue nor the boating of weapons. It is like for example the "hardpoint" size issue just another layer of icing of the cake.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 06 June 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#46 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:24 AM

View Postphulcrum, on 05 June 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

As Winter said. My friends and I didn't spend money on and fall in love with the complexities of the Codexs for nothing. Free 6 page game manuals are for vidya gaymez, not TT.

#47 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 05 June 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

So, what does WoT use for match making?

this :

http://wiki.wargamin...ics#Matchmaking

all you have to do is read the wiki Posted Image

#48 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

I have been too burned out to care by MWO and PGI for atleast a year or so.

Basically my expectations for the game are zero. I don't hate the game (I still enjoy playing a few matches every few days), but I just don't expect anything to ever improve anymore. I don't spend hardly any money on the game anymore (luckily the new PXH was gifted to me).

In a nutshell, I have come to terms that the game has peaked.

So I'm just numb to the whole thing. I like posting in the forums still, and I am curious to see when something does happen, but I have no expectations. I went from "Give PGI a chance, they keep improving. It will take a while, but it will get there."...to..."This game is and will always be what we have now so I might as well get used to it"

Honestly, I enjoy MWO better when I have given up on it because I don't get as angry when deadlines pass or new modes are a disappointment. I'm just like..."Ehhh...I't MWO, what do you expect *shrug* ".

#49 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Well technically, the "Blitz" version, since it's easier to run on my Ipad while watching baseball (cooped up with food poisoning.... so it's also handy to be portable.... )

I prefer Xcom Enemy Within for my mobile devices. Don't like having to commit to a full round when I'm on the go.

#50 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 06 June 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

I prefer Xcom Enemy Within for my mobile devices. Don't like having to commit to a full round when I'm on the go.

If you like XCOM and MechWarrior, you should be keeping an eye on HBS 's Battletech (if you aren't already). :)

#51 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 06 June 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

If you like XCOM and MechWarrior, you should be keeping an eye on HBS 's Battletech (if you aren't already). Posted Image

Oh I am. I'm a huge fan of Harebraned's Shadow Run games so it's definitely a day 2 purchase (to read the reviews and make sure it doesn't have a catastrophic issue with my rig).

#52 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 06 June 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

Oh I am. I'm a huge fan of Harebraned's Shadow Run games so it's definitely a day 2 purchase (to read the reviews and make sure it doesn't have a catastrophic issue with my rig).

I did back it on Kickstarter, but I also first looked into how the Shadow Run games were received and rated. I even bought the Shadow Run games after I contributed to the Kickstarter (still on the first one though).

Overall, I'm pretty excited and eager to try it.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 06 June 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#53 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 June 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

... WoT you say?

I prefer my War Thunder thank you very much.

Too easy...

I like WoWs, taking my Cruiser out, I have to know where to and how to score citadel hits on enemy ships, know when to use HE or AP, keep shell trajectories in mind, deal with a shot dispersal, it get's funny when your guns have an effective range of 14km, but I can hit targers at a good 15km due to spread on the shots.

View PostDrxAbstract, on 05 June 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

Warships is fun if you enjoy a slow, methodical game. However in my time spent there the whole visibly thumping people's ships in critical areas with HE and AP rounds for negligible damage 90% of the time and AA weaponry is pretty much useless, Cruisers are ineffectual compared to Battleships and their high-caliber cannons, well-orchestrated Carrier planes and Destroyer torpedoes. Just my opinion, but if you're going to try it, avoid spending any more time than necessary in the Cruiser trees.

Got to disagree with you, I actually enjoy the Cruisers far more than Battleships or Carriers, just the other day I had a match in my Cleveland class where I got 5 kills through citadel hits with AP rounds... Battleships love me, since I tend to pick one of them and stick close to them providing AA support as well as DD deterrent. But then again I am more of a team player than most it seems.

#54 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

I've not given it a shot, TBH. Heard the Russo-Bias was so strong on that as to be ridiculous. Amongst other knocks about the tank side. Was trying another Armored Combat game that a CGBI mate recommended but they use seeded download sources, and got denial of service attacks twice immediately upon attempting to download their client. A pity, as CK swears by the game itself.

Pretty sure it was more about comparing "DEvs" and "development the right way" than about game similarity..other than using Cryengine.

Funny part is it's come full circle and while Roberts is a better baby kisser and politician he hasn't actually delivered any more than PGI, despite what.... 20x the budget?
The difference here is that SC doesn't claim to be close to finished and still constantly progresses while MWO rushed an incomplete game out the door and did very little to improve it afterwards. Yeah I am a little tired of waiting for SC but the devs on SC still have 100x more potential than the MWO devs

#55 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

Got to disagree with you, I actually enjoy the Cruisers far more than Battleships or Carriers, just the other day I had a match in my Cleveland class where I got 5 kills through citadel hits with AP rounds... Battleships love me, since I tend to pick one of them and stick close to them providing AA support as well as DD deterrent. But then again I am more of a team player than most it seems.

This. Cruisers seem to be the "mediums", fast enough to support and bully DD "lights" but not beefy enough to slug it out solo without sneakytime. Visibility seems to be a big thing in WoWarships, too from the skulking-at-edges I see from a lot of lighter ships.

Funny how role warfare works.

#56 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

I'm playing tanks too but not the WOT kind. Posted Image

#57 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

Armored Warfare player here. I like the Chieftain Mk. V very much. And the T-64, though I do wish it was the T-64B with antitank missile capability. It takes forever to tier-grind and it's going to be a looooong while before I make the T-72 that has missiles. I do run an M551 Sheridan from time to time but it's a little fragile. Always go back to the Chieftain in the end :)

#58 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:37 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 June 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

... WoT you say?

I prefer my War Thunder thank you very much.

If tanks in War Thunder are okay, I might give it a shot again, but I could not stand the flying with the keyboard mouse guys getting the easiest time in the world flying/shooting on autopilot. It's more point and click than MWO. I stupidly decided to fly with my HOTAS the first few times and then dumped the game, went back to DCS, and started playing the persistent multiplayer blue flag campaign, and HOLY S***! This has ruined me on any other flight sim out there. 50 players a night all warring over FARPs and airbases, coordinating CAP, CAS, and helo support. It's insanely fun, and really involved. It's everything I wanted in a simulation (except maybe more accurate missile behavior, but it's close enough). When I see MWO, I cry a bit about how there's not a single bit of simulation in the entire game... Posted Image

#59 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:37 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 06 June 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

I have been too burned out to care by MWO and PGI for atleast a year or so.

Basically my expectations for the game are zero. I don't hate the game (I still enjoy playing a few matches every few days), but I just don't expect anything to ever improve anymore. I don't spend hardly any money on the game anymore (luckily the new PXH was gifted to me).

In a nutshell, I have come to terms that the game has peaked.

So I'm just numb to the whole thing. I like posting in the forums still, and I am curious to see when something does happen, but I have no expectations. I went from "Give PGI a chance, they keep improving. It will take a while, but it will get there."...to..."This game is and will always be what we have now so I might as well get used to it"

Honestly, I enjoy MWO better when I have given up on it because I don't get as angry when deadlines pass or new modes are a disappointment. I'm just like..."Ehhh...I't MWO, what do you expect *shrug* ".

Honestly, this is how I've been since day one, back at the very start of Open Beta.

I long ago learned to assume that, once a game is open to public play, it isn't going to fundamentally change. You play the game for what it is, enjoy it for what it is, or don't. But hoping for it to magically become something different is a fools errand for idealists. That doesn't ever happen, and it just leads to anger.

Once it's released, the game is what it's going to be, and that's that. It'll be polished, it'll get shiny new graphics, new features, etc, but they'll always be tweaks to the existing, core game, and that core game won't change.

This is what's allowed me to be, and remain, my flavour of "white knight". I don't get upset because PGI doesn't make the game into what I feel it should be/could be/what they said they wanted to make in 2012. I play the game because I enjoy it, as much as I want (that's probably 5-10 matches a week) and I'm happy with that.

I have lots of things I'd like to change about MWO too, but they won't change. I know that, and I accept that. Why bother railing on about it? It's not going to change anything.

#60 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:45 PM

View PostFate 6, on 06 June 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

The difference here is that SC doesn't claim to be close to finished and still constantly progresses while MWO rushed an incomplete game out the door and did very little to improve it afterwards. Yeah I am a little tired of waiting for SC but the devs on SC still have 100x more potential than the MWO devs

100x Zero is still....zero.

GG.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users