You Know Pgi Has Done Stepped In It... When I End Up Play Wot Instead. (And Some Mwo Musings)

272 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

Well technically, the "Blitz" version, since it's easier to run on my Ipad while watching baseball (cooped up with food poisoning.... so it's also handy to be portable.... )

But on the bright side, it reminded me of a couple things.

1) That the grind in WoT makes MWO look like a cakewalk.
2) I forgot how much I enjoyed the very sensible aiming circle mechanic in WoT.

Which, of course, the Church of Skill types will cry "apostate" about, but dang does is add to the level of skill and planning for taking a shot, weighing the risk/reward, etc. And boy howdy would having the "spread" circle like WoT to show the possible dispersal zone of a shot would add (IMO) to this game, while reducing the effectiveness of alphastrikes, thus improving TTK overall. Especially if the shots all went to random points in the dispersal zone, like when jumping is engaged.

oh and
3) Driving my Hetzer reminded me how glad I am PGI put a waist on every mech. Good gracious trying to swing my whole tank destroyer around to track and enemy is a pain.

and it also reminded me how ROFLStomps are hardly exclusive to MWO. I'd say 90% of my WoT matches have ended in stomps in either direction.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 05 June 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#2 4b4dd0n

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

1) That the grind in WoT makes MWO look like a cakewalk. Ok in the low tier the grind goes fast but at hight tier...

Edited by 4b4dd0n, 05 June 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

View Post4b4dd0n, on 05 June 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

1) That the grind in WoT makes MWO look like a cakewalk. I laught hard Posted Image ok you are at the low tier you dont know it better^^

I can grind a mech to full mastery in a day, 2 tops in MWO.

Good luck getting into a high tier Tank anywhere near that fast.

A week of play will purchase for raw cbills almost any mech and variants I want short of maybe a clan Assault. Don't see one grabbing a tier 10 tank that fast.

But it does remind me, that while I don't think it "feasible" for MWO, I do like the Tier Buckets in the WoT MM, though i don't know if they have anything to control skill levels in the buckets.

But if one wants to just grab a tier 1-3 or so tank and just go have some mindless fun, no problem. You want to grab a Locust or Commando and QP in MWO, seldom as easy, or fun. (And I'm not a WoT fan. Just remembering what few things they did get right)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 05 June 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#4 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

I've been eyeballing World of Warships, personally. Have not had too much free time as of late, though. Plus, I'm still in denial about No Man's Sky's delay. >_>

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

I've been eyeballing World of Warships, personally. Have not had too much free time as of late, though. Plus, I'm still in denial about No Man's Sky's delay. >_>

just don't be sending that guy death threats, OK?

Gamers gotta get some perspective and stop acting like a bunch of busters. *smh*

;)

#6 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

just don't be sending that guy death threats, OK?

Gamers gotta get some perspective and stop acting like a bunch of busters. *smh*

Posted Image

Frankly, I rather a game get slightly delayed to polish (or bugfix extensively) things that needed the extra work before release. You only get one shot at a first impression, and nobody wants to play a broken POS.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

Frankly, I rather a game get slightly delayed to polish (or bugfix extensively) things that needed the extra work before release. You only get one shot at a first impression, and nobody wants to play a broken POS.

and that may be one of the most ambitious offerings ever. Though I'm sure Chris Roberts would take umbrage to that compared to his "amazing" wing commander 2020--er 2025...oh heck whenever it actually happens?

#8 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

and that may be one of the most ambitious offerings ever. Though I'm sure Chris Roberts would take umbrage to that compared to his "amazing" wing commander 2020--er 2025...oh heck whenever it actually happens?

SC? Uh huh. It's barely a game, and suffered from delay after delay. I will say what I said when it was announced: great concept, I hope they succeed, but the scope of the project is insanely huge. I'd argue the delays, both for the content created and for the shear insane amounts of money behind it, are way, way worse than the PGI/IGP delays in MWO. Hell, at least it was a playable game in closed beta.

SC can't even claim that.

Edit:
Posted Image

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 June 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#9 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

... WoT you say?

I prefer my War Thunder thank you very much.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

SC? Uh huh. It's barely a game, and suffered from delay after delay. I will say what I said when it was announced: great concept, I hope they succeed, but the scope of the project is insanely huge. I'd argue the delays, both for the content created and for the shear insane amounts of money behind it, are way, way worse than the PGI/IGP delays in MWO. Hell, at least it was a playable game in closed beta.

SC can't even claim that.

Edit:
Posted Image

Posted Image

I love watching shots fired over SC.... brings out the best in mouth breathing entertainment..... (gotta defend them 3000 dollar spaceships, while crucifying PGI over 500$ Goldies, lol)

#11 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

I love watching shots fired over SC.... brings out the best in mouth breathing entertainment..... (gotta defend them 3000 dollar spaceships, while crucifying PGI over 500$ Goldies, lol)

I think what I never understood was that SC and MWO are two totally different games. Hell, even if SC was "Aerotech Online," it wouldn't be the same game. So this weird community feud confuses the hell out of me. Leaving MWO to play SC? OK. You went from a walking tank simulator to a space combat sim. You might as well said you went from MWO to Myst. Different game altogether.

Incidentally, I would buy the hell out of a copy of Aerotech Online.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 June 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 05 June 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

... WoT you say?

I prefer my War Thunder thank you very much.

I've not given it a shot, TBH. Heard the Russo-Bias was so strong on that as to be ridiculous. Amongst other knocks about the tank side. Was trying another Armored Combat game that a CGBI mate recommended but they use seeded download sources, and got denial of service attacks twice immediately upon attempting to download their client. A pity, as CK swears by the game itself.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

I think what I never understood was that SC and MWO are two totally different games. Hell, even if SC was "Aerotech Online," it wouldn't be the same game. So this weird community feud confuses the hell out of me.

Incidentally, I would buy the hell out of a copy of Aerotech Online.

Pretty sure it was more about comparing "DEvs" and "development the right way" than about game similarity..other than using Cryengine.

Funny part is it's come full circle and while Roberts is a better baby kisser and politician he hasn't actually delivered any more than PGI, despite what.... 20x the budget?

#13 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

I've not given it a shot, TBH. Heard the Russo-Bias was so strong on that as to be ridiculous. Amongst other knocks about the tank side. Was trying another Armored Combat game that a CGBI mate recommended but they use seeded download sources, and got denial of service attacks twice immediately upon attempting to download their client. A pity, as CK swears by the game itself.

Pretty sure it was more about comparing "DEvs" and "development the right way" than about game similarity..other than using Cryengine.

Funny part is it's come full circle and while Roberts is a better baby kisser and politician he hasn't actually delivered any more than PGI, despite what.... 20x the budget?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that an unlimited budget and a larger staff doesn't necessarily mean faster production after a certain point. More people and departments that get involved, the more conflict, and the more money, people, and time required to resolve those conflicts. Be they interpersonal or just coding errors between, say, art department and sound design.

#14 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

View Post4b4dd0n, on 05 June 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

1) That the grind in WoT makes MWO look like a cakewalk. Ok in the low tier the grind goes fast but at hight tier...

True, but you can happily stay in a low to mid tier level forever in World of Warships or World of Tanks - you don't need to get to Tier 10.

In MWO, however, your junker little starting mech with no skills unlocked will happily be thrown against "Tier 10" mechs - fully leveled and customized meta-mechs with full modules, etc. all the time. That is why the grind, from a practical perspective, is so much worse in MWO; you HAVE to get to "tier 10" to really be able to compete.

To give you an example, I'm at about Tier 5 to 6 in WoWS. Will I someday get to Tier 7? Probably, but I'm not going out of my way to get there. Does it really matter? Not really - I'm happy where I am in the game. But you can't really in good faith say the same thing in MWO with regard to leveling your mechs - nobody says, "Eh, maybe someday I'll unlock Speed Tweak, but I'm happy without it." So, the practical grind in MWO is often worse because you have to get to the end - fully leveling and customizing your mech - to be able to compete with your foes.

Edited by oldradagast, 05 June 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#15 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

2) I forgot how much I enjoyed the very sensible aiming circle mechanic in WoT.

Which, of course, the Church of Skill types will cry "apostate" about, but dang does is add to the level of skill and planning for taking a shot, weighing the risk/reward, etc. And boy howdy would having the "spread" circle like WoT to show the possible dispersal zone of a shot would add (IMO) to this game, while reducing the effectiveness of alphastrikes, thus improving TTK overall. Especially if the shots all went to random points in the dispersal zone, like when jumping is engaged.

The "spread circle" is probably the second worst mechanic in WoT... first being the armor/penetration system (which is so broken - read: has never worked properly - that it makes some tanks literally unplayable, and others into nigh-unkillable gods). The biggest problem with it is the only way to really mitigate the RNG spread is to stop moving (you can reduce it slightly through crew skills, I know, I know), and unless you're in an artillery piece, stopping to take a shot isn't an option, which always ends up in fights at literally knife-fighting distance; by which I mean that the tank crews would be able to stand atop their steel stallions and fight each other to the death with knives. That's the real problem with an RNG circle: not that it increases TTK, or artificially equalizes skill/whatever, but that all it does is decrease the average range of engagement outside of sniper/artillery roles.

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

mwo has thoroughly cured me of freemium gaming. if this is a cakewalk, id hate to see what those other games are like.

#17 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:55 PM

lol, i was so fed up of trying to have a fun game that i returned to wot yesterday....

View PostVolthorne, on 05 June 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

The "spread circle" is probably the second worst mechanic in WoT... first being the armor/penetration system (which is so broken - read: has never worked properly - that it makes some tanks literally unplayable, and others into nigh-unkillable gods). The biggest problem with it is the only way to really mitigate the RNG spread is to stop moving (you can reduce it slightly through crew skills, I know, I know), and unless you're in an artillery piece, stopping to take a shot isn't an option, which always ends up in fights at literally knife-fighting distance; by which I mean that the tank crews would be able to stand atop their steel stallions and fight each other to the death with knives. That's the real problem with an RNG circle: not that it increases TTK, or artificially equalizes skill/whatever, but that all it does is decrease the average range of engagement outside of sniper/artillery roles.

Sorry man, but i have to do it :

"Git gud"

Because what you describe happen only in very low tiers...

#18 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

According to my sources the next town hall will be televised via Live facebook and Russ has a very special message for the player base. Here is a sneak peek.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

How nice of you to play the game that PGI bases their sales model off of!

#20 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:05 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

Warships is fun if you enjoy a slow, methodical game. However in my time spent there the whole visibly thumping people's ships in critical areas with HE and AP rounds for negligible damage 90% of the time and AA weaponry is pretty much useless, Cruisers are ineffectual compared to Battleships and their high-caliber cannons, well-orchestrated Carrier planes and Destroyer torpedoes. Just my opinion, but if you're going to try it, avoid spending any more time than necessary in the Cruiser trees.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users