43 replies to this topic

#21 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:28 AM

Be advised the Rifleman is just a 60t mech and a slow one at that.
Don't try to stare at anything above unarmored infantry with sidearms.
Stay with anything that draws agro and you won't be too disapointed from the beginning.

Archer is a nice mech when you have delusions about the usefullness of LRMs.
Be advised due to your VERY lowhanging cockpit poking over hills to get direct sigh lock on is a deathscentence in most cases since you torso, upper arms and shoulders will be out in the open when your cockpit reaches a point where you can establish a sightline.
Again it is not for LRMsiping over hills like the Vulture with its high cockpit.
On the other hand the Archer is sufficiently mobile, sufficiently resilient and able to roll damage.
Pray you are in an active, not peakaboo, mobile team and you will be fine if you make sure to be with larger more threatening mechs like the Marodeur, Timber or Warhammer.
DO NOT LRM ONLY. Use your other hardpoints as well.
Optimal combat distance is 200 to 400m depending on your secondary weapons.

Have fun and try not to be Bearfoder.

Edited by The Basilisk, 07 June 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#22 Mr Inconsistent

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:50 AM

Gauss 6medlas Rifleman 3n is a great build.

Question for PGI: Why are the mastery bundles not released at the same time as these mechs come out for MC? Seems a missed opportunity...

#23 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:42 AM

View PostMr Inconsistent, on 07 June 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

Question for PGI: Why are the mastery bundles not released at the same time as these mechs come out for MC? Seems a missed opportunity...

I can answer that! They don't have any kind of '(C) (aka Champion) Version' yet. A 'Mastery Bundle' requires a '(C) Version' to be made available. :mellow:

~D. V. "Are you daft, pilot?" Devnull

#24 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 06 June 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

I was wondering why there wasn't a price listed for Legend Killer. I am not a smart man.

How easily targeted/destroyed are the arms? I always get mild anxiety if I don't have maxed out armour there unless it's got nothing on it

The Legend Killer costs MC. There is a price tag on it already.

And yes, the arms do come off quite easily on the Rifleman, I would definitely avoid losing armor from there since they house your primary weaponry.

Balancing armor on the arms would depend on how much of the total damage do weapons in them do and if you need them for shielding (some 'mech's arms do not work as shields).

Overall my opinion of the builds listed is not very high... I believe there are way better ones out there.

#25 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:02 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 06 June 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

But... but... the Night Gyr is not for MCs or C-Bills yet...

#26 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

View PostMrKvola, on 07 June 2016 - 04:56 AM, said:

The Legend Killer costs MC. There is a price tag on it already.

Yeah, I realised that after I said it to myself haha. Still fairly tempted, my next preorder is the Cyclops and that won't drop until August

#27 Greenburg Godzillas

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

But... Where is the Assassin? The Valkyrie? Vulcan? Actually, I don't know how (other than looks) you would differentiate those mechs from existing mechs. The Charger might be interesting just for its butt-ton of energy hardpoints.

#28 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

View PostGreenburg Godzillas, on 07 June 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

But... Where is the Assassin? The Valkyrie? Vulcan? Actually, I don't know how (other than looks) you would differentiate those mechs from existing mechs. The Charger might be interesting just for its butt-ton of energy hardpoints.

All in due time I'm sure, there's so many mechs to choose from!

#29 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:17 AM

Mech bay sale please. It's been 6 months. I'll even buy more MC if you throw one in this weekend. That way I can pick up mass amounts of MB and be ready to buy Decals.

A 30-50% Cbill sale would be icing on the cake.

Looking forward to leveling Rifflemen.

Edited by Quintus Verus, 07 June 2016 - 08:21 AM.

#30 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostQuintus Verus, on 07 June 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

A 30-50% Cbill sale would be icing on the cake.

A sale? Why not just let people earn Double for a weekend? :blink:

Heck, why not have a Triple XP Conversion weekend? I guess PGI doesn't really want people to purchase to use? :(

Mech Bay sale? Overdue... Just freaking overdue... <_<

~D. V. "Just my mental $0.02 ..." Devnull

#31 Sparkymarkyp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:38 AM

Is the rifleman decent?

I played in mech lab with it last night and did a dual ac5 2 x ERLL build with Max armour.

It looked viable but I had to leave stock engine. ( I refuse to use XL on an IS chassis)

#32 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:02 AM

I'd say the Rifleman is "decent" nothing more. It's very soft, has great weapon hardpoints but is only 60tons.

Like you I am not a great fan of XLs in IS heavies but it's tricky to balance firepower with mobility on the Rifleman so it may be a compromise that is needed. Plus, I seem to die a lot to CT hits anyway in the Rifleman so maybe ST vulnerability isn't such a massive issue.

Overall, I am very glad I waited for it to come out for C-bills and didn't spend any real money on it, it's OK, the dakka is fun but it is outclassed by a lot of other IS heavies and suffers badly in the current high alpha meta.

#33 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:19 AM

And here is the Metamechs guide about this chassis.

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/is-master-guides/rifleman/

Edit: mystery of the CTRL+C / CTRL V

Edited by invernomuto, 08 June 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#34 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostDarthHias, on 06 June 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

I would give you some of mine have 18 empty ones and don´t really need them Posted Image

I think I only have about 3 free. Posted Image All acquired via long hours of FW. It would be nice to have a sale on them....been a while since the last one. And other than FW rewards there hasn't been any mech bay rewards in any of the recent challenges/events. Unless you count the reward mechs and their bays.

But if we're comparing willy sizes.... Posted Image I also have (number redacted so as not to appear to be a total ****) mechs, all mastered except 1. Soon to be (number redacted so as not to appear to be a slightly bigger ****) as soon as I buy 2 more Riflemen to complete my set of three, and then I can get to mastering those too. (Got the hero during the recent sale, and it's been fun.)

Edit: Okay, it seems that I had 4 mech bays free. (The Legend Killer must have come with a mech bay, although I heard that PGI wasn't giving mech bays with any Hero mechs now unless they came in a package....unless I had 5 free mech bays before....scratches head.)
Meh, I had 4 so I bought the other 3 Riflemen.

So far so good. Most of the time they have been doing really good damage. Usually in the top half, and in the top 2 or 3 a few times. Given that I was group dropping last night which means encountering EMP, SJR, etc I am kind of surprised at how well these did. And considering that they aren't elited yet too, and that I just threw on whatever for equipment without tweaking. Usually leveling up mechs in the tier 1 group environment is painful.

So I have to say that I'm mildly surprised with them...in a good way.

Hmm...although...I have found more than not, that whenever I take out a mech for the first time it always does phenomenally well.....and then it gets more difficult after that until it's at least been elited. Guess I'll find out tonight.

Edited by ThatGuy539, 09 June 2016 - 05:09 AM.

#35 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 08 June 2016 - 05:19 AM, said:

And here is the Metamechs guide about this chassis.

http://mwomercs.com/...20#entry5225376

Excuse me, but how is my post above a MetaMechs Guide? Do you perhaps have the wrong link posted? :(

~Mr. D. V. "Oops, much?" Devnull

#36 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostSparkymarkyp, on 08 June 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Is the rifleman decent?

I played in mech lab with it last night and did a dual ac5 2 x ERLL build with Max armour.

It looked viable but I had to leave stock engine. ( I refuse to use XL on an IS chassis)

If well positioned, the Rifleman can deliver a lot of damage.

But it is kind of fragile. Avoid brawl at all costs.

#37 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:12 PM

I am honestly torn on bothering with the Rifleman.

It seems that anything it can do, my Jager does the same or better?

#38 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

I haven´t touched my Jagers in ages, the STs with that fins standing out are just to easy to hit. I think the Rifleman has that bit better hitboxes and bit more agility that makes it better at surviving. Can run decent loadouts and has good quirks, bit lighter than the Jager of course. So far I like them.

#39 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostOvion, on 08 June 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

I am honestly torn on bothering with the Rifleman.

It seems that anything it can do, my Jager does the same or better?

Less squishy side torsoes larger arms, more nimble and slighly smaler than the Jager Mech.
And then there are the quirks.

5N with dual AC10 and reload module...30% faster firing rate...with AC5 35% faster firing rate.
Oh yea and then there is the 40% projectile speed quirk.
Thats sick.

3C with 20% ballistic range 10% cooldown and struckture quirks ... so imagine an AC20 and lazors or dual AC20 build....yea.

5D with 70% accell and decell ... on an energy only boat. 2 LPLs and 4 mlasers max engine and rest heatsinks.

#40 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

I had low expectations for the Rifleman, but it's my best performer out of the "classic" mechs. Legend Killer is probably the only one I shouldn't have bought, the LBX can come out to play in quick play event weekends when people aren't thinking straight, but overall I like the rest quite a bit. You can spam AC5/UAC5, do laser vomit, run standard or XL depending on your tastes, and it all seems pretty decent thanks to the agility quirks and some cooldown quirks as well.

I think it definitely punches above its diminutive weight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users