#1 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

There has been rumblings on the frontier of a new(ish) voip application called Discord. Some other TS's are switching to it (notably Beer Warriors) and what I've been told about it is very positive. Apparently it is more mobile friendly, and accessible, easier to use, and cheaper.

There is zero hurry or cause for concern... I have no problem keeping things exactly as they are - but I wanted to hear from the community.

Are there strong opinions out there? Should we avoid the Discord fad or embrace it?

You tell me.

#2 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

The UI and functionality of Discord are top notch. However it still has some teething issues. I tried installing it a while ago, and it was seriously bugged. Uninstalling it has caused a Java scripting error that I have yet to solve on my Windows partition. 5/10

#3 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

Still waiting on a client that can connect to any type of chat server reliably. Until then I just go with what the masses use. If we switch to discord then I'll install that.

Yeah, sorry, not much substance but maybe that's how others feel as well.

#4 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:50 AM

Ill use whatever i have to to get onto the FRR TS and hope it works.

(I have no experience with Discord)

#5 Benjamin Kirsch

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

Discord is pretty good. We have one for 2323 that we use primarily for offline chat since you can use a mobile app when not on your PC. Discord can also be used through a web browser, which is good for people who don't want to commit/download TS/whatever. Unlike TS the in game overlay works, I've used it while playing MWO (although to chat with people I wasn't playing with). It has the same capability as Mumble for lowering in game volume when someone is speaking. It also works better at social networking as you can have multiple saved servers and see your friends where ever they are at.

The main thing that it does not do are custom tags, so no unit tags, and none of the fun tags we have in the FRR hub (2K, Stormtrooper...).

#6 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

View PostBenjamin Kirsch, on 08 June 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Discord is pretty good. We have one for 2323 that we use primarily for offline chat since

As a member of 2323 i dont know what you are talking about.

:-P
:-(

#7 Benjamin Kirsch

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

That's cuz it's on a need 2 know basis, and your Australian. :D

#8 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:47 PM

We are transitioning to Discord this week. The issue was forced because the people hosting out TS server are shutting down.

For me.
-voice comms are clearer
-persistent chat and messaging, so people can leave you messages when off line
-shows you what games your friends are playing
-easy to set up private chat rooms in both text and voice without needing permissions from admins, each room is effectively it's own server
-easy to give people a url link and get them to join in (doesn't work in MWO chat because no cut/paste), no client required and uninstalls when finished
-can download a client to PC, mobile, apple and soon linux
-drag and drop functionality for images/video in chat, even easier than FB

I've been using it a week and think its better in almost every way. Like all technology it will take a while to penetrate the market, but it provides voice comms and in time will probably obsolete forums and Facebook pages. If you are starting a new unit it will be absolutely the cheapest easiest way to establish all types of comms between players.

Currently it is free but I expect that to change, but the biggest advantage it will have over TS is it's scalable. No more having to increase the number of slots for an event and then paying for slots you don't need 90% of the time.

#9 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

From what I have read about discord, Dane, it is worth trying -- the text messaging alone is so useful. What do you think?

Edited by nehebkau, 28 June 2016 - 06:59 AM.

#10 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

I'm happy with TS. If Discord doesn't allow unit tags and other jazz, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

#11 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

Not really that I have any major say in this being so disconnected, but why not use both? Discord is free anyway, and you can use it for messaging or some such, maybe make a text channel that only moderators can post in but everyone can see that you can leave live-ish updates in for those who don't like using forums.

Just an idea, but in either case Discord is free, so it's not really going to hurt anything setting one up for whatever reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users