11 replies to this topic

#1 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading my Crab-27B wit a XL engine to perk up it' speed because...

"Speed Is life"

I am debating on two potential builds.

It is currently configured with x3 ERLL, Beagle, and AMS with a stock 250 engine.

I can get a XL320 into the build without changing equipment.

The other option to is to also drop one ERLL and get 4 MPLs on the chassis. This will provide some close range punch and a faster cycling weapon when those darn lights come a knocking. This build would only have a XL 300.

Does the slight difference in speed 103 kp/h vs. 97 kp/h make difference?

Is it best to keep the design as a pure ERLL boat with the Quirks and the weapons modules built around them?

Thanks for any help or insights

#2 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:50 AM

I am not a great fan of XL in a Crab as you give up a lot of survivability and the tremendous zombie potential, but the 27B is the one to try it with in my humble opinion.

If you are going XL then I think the basic rule applies; go big. The bigger the engine you can fit, the faster you can go and the more return you get for giving up zombie mode.I do understand there are diminishing returns on XL; there was a good breakdown I saw somewhere outlining the "sweet spot" i.e. speed/tonnage but I'm jiggered if I can remember where it was!

Does the slight rise in speed make a difference? That's pretty subjective but, again, my "rule of XL" applies; fit the biggest engine that is sensible to balance with firepower. N.B. with speed tweak an XL320 Crab goes at 111kph, that's pretty quick for a ranged medium and whilst it won't allow you to run from marauding Oxides if they get the drop on you, it may give you time to re-locate if you see them coming.

I have this build on my 27B:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac579909912009f

I honestly don't think AMS or BAP are worth the drop in heat management caused by losing DHS but I am aware my heat management isn't the best.

Is it worth boating ERLLs? At the moment I'd say yes if you have other Crabs so you can enjoy some pulse laser fun, but remember, quirks can change so keep an eye on upcoming patch notes!

Hope that helps?

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:01 AM

The Crab is one of the beefiest Med IS Mechs. It always seems to last forever, regularly running around without torso's and two MLs. You go and put a XL and it turns into a glass cannon.

STD250 @ 87km/h is more than enough to reposition with 3 ERL. You're going as fast as most IS Med at that speed, faster than some even.

#4 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:26 AM

My assumption was that this is for Faction Play? The fragility of XL is less of a burden in this game mode as you tend not to get light rushed so much and the additional speed allows for more mobility to re-locate where needed.

#5 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:21 AM

Only PUG games so far

#6 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

If the XL is a bad idea. Would replacing one ERLL with a battery of 4 ML supplement the close range punch of the mech?

Is it better to focus on one range band and style?

When those other mediums find me it is hard to backup fast enough. I have not learned that the brief pause in firing means the enemy flanking move is about to crest the hill. :)

Thanks

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

If it's PUG games then do whatever, not sure why you're asking in FP section though.

If you're doing FP you want to be able to tank and deal damage. If someone XL checks you, you're dead... And that is fairly easy to do. But then ERLs simply don't suit a lot of maps, so they can be useless.

#8 Mountain Mechwarrior

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

Good to know thanks

#9 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

I feel as I may be the only person who likes running crabs with an XL, especially on the 20. But even so I get lucky and don't typically die from side torso explosions. Maybe I'm super jammy in the little tykes.

#10 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:38 AM

Wait until after the June rescale. The crab is getting bigger, which might change the viability of an XL.

#11 Cart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:46 AM

I'm driving mine with 3 ER-LL + 3 Small-(Pulse-) and a XL300. Works pretty nice. The smalls help somewhat against Lights...

#12 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:40 AM

I wouldn't get too fixated on the ER LL based on the quirks, it is only -5% heat generation quirk for that specific weapon. However if you are going to focus on ranged combat I would recommend running three ER LL to maximise their effectiveness and forego the ML/SPL, while adding DHS. Perhaps something like this? CRB-27B

The key with the XL is positioning, make sure you do not sit in one spot and do not get fixated on one target to the expense of not watching for someone approaching from your flank or rear. This is where the speed of the XL helps; you fire off a few volleys and then relocate, always shifting with your team and providing them cover while making sure you don't get isolated.

Personally I would be tempted run the laser Meta build with LPL and ML but I tend to stay close in with the assaults and heavies, it comes to personal play styles.

If you like to get up close and personal there is the all MPL option CRB-27B Which is more of a hit and fade, skirmisher type of build.

There is a lot of options with the Crab, don't be afraid of the XL, at the moment the side torso are pretty small and front loading the armour works pretty well thanks to the added agility of the larger XL: torso twisting is your friend Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users