15 replies to this topic

#1 Lehmund

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

As the title suggests, I'd like to get insights from successful units on strategies that win games vs IS opponents in FW.

Mind you I don't mean gen-rushing here, but to dominate the other team, knowing and understanding the advantages and disadvantages of clan mechs vs IS mechs.

Goal: be constructive and help all clan teams bring better builds to FW and utilize better strategies there as well.

Thanks.

#2 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:33 AM

Keywords: Autocannons (esp. U-AC 5 and 10) and SRM'S. No vomit and LRM's. Use high mobility. Pretty simple if you ask me.

#3 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

UAC's, SRM's and non ERLL laser boats are all good. Leave the LRM's at the door but honestly, most of that is just fluff. If you want to win, make sure that your whole team moves in together and when the front guy is hurt, he needs to cycle out and let someone else start pushing. That is all you need to do (besides actually hit your target of course Posted Image).

Other things to look for, watch for solo or small groups of enemies off by themselves and try to get your whole team to wipe them out.

Don't split the party...works in role-playing games and works here too. Some teams can pull if off successfully but it's a high risk, high reward strategy honestly.

Use voip whenever possible and keep the battle plan as simple as you can make it i.e. lets all go in right gate and push to the left for example...try to talk, but not too much because then people just get confused and end up doing 6 different things instead of 1.

Never ever ever ever EVER reinforce on an attack. Push in as 12 players and don't go back in until everyone has died and you have regrouped, preferably away from the gate. Can't control all people though and there often seems to be one guy that will go in, sit in the back and then run out when all the friendlies die. This is always the wrong thing to do and is more often the cause of losses then any other single thing I can think of. It gets your team out of sync and then once the rest of this teams mechs are dead, he is sitting with 1-2 useless mechs and always calls his team noobs, when in fact it is his fault more than anything else that the team lost.

On defense, always push out with your damaged mechs if you are up on kills and then regroup away from gate before moving in. This way you can atleast damage their next wave and meet them with fresh mechs.

I will add more as I think of it.

Edited by Pat Kell, 11 June 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#4 Lehmund

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:16 PM

Good advice indeed. All clan should read this.

If others have more key ideas to round this out, please feel free to add your 2 cents.

Well done brothers.

#5 Boclos

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:31 AM

How to play Hellbore springs as clan? All the other maps seem to work, because there is some cover where you can cool down, or hide when focused. This way you can use the clan higher alpha's and speed to overcome IS structure quirks. On Hellbore you can only push, and that gives the IS the advantage both on attack and defend.

I mostly play clan in CW and my win rate for grim portico and hellbore springs are way lower than the other invasion maps. Not sure why I always lose on Grim portico but for hellbore it just seems so unfair. On Grim portico it is always pretty close, on hellbore springs clans just get stomped on by IS unless the clan side has way better players.

Edited by Boclos, 17 June 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#6 Stahlherz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostBoclos, on 17 June 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

How to play Hellbore springs as clan? All the other maps seem to work, because there is some cover where you can cool down, or hide when focused. This way you can use the clan higher alpha's and speed to overcome IS structure quirks. On Hellbore you can only push, and that gives the IS the advantage both on attack and defend.

I mostly play clan in CW and my win rate for grim portico and hellbore springs are way lower than the other invasion maps. Not sure why I always lose on Grim portico but for hellbore it just seems so unfair. On Grim portico it is always pretty close, on hellbore springs clans just get stomped on by IS unless the clan side has way better players.

Enjoy:

#7 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

1) Join a team
2) When you drop try have more same unit tag players then the other side
3) Don’t argue follow orders (there is not enough time to have a discussion about which way or tactic to go)
4) Talk it up---communication is the key (they have UAV up g5, I am on alpha, I am reversing into bravo bravo)

Tactics (B)

1) Bring your killer Mechs the first 2 drops (if you get behind on kills it’s hard to catch up)
2) Drop heavy the first two drops unless you’re very good in a light
3) Try to stay away from IS mediums (they don’t pack enough armor)
4) Join the FRR you will learn how to fight
5) Drop a lot (when you get so used to getting your head kicked in it doesn’t bother you know you are almost there)

Tactics C

1) Drop call or help drop call
2) Try to get on the same target as someone else
3) Divide your team into red green and blue the drop callers or members will call out "red alpha"
All red guys will shoot at alpha and so on

There is a lot more but
HTHs

Edited by Davegt27, 17 June 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#8 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

CLPL still a great weapon! CLPL and ERML pair up well for laser boats and give you a range advantage.

Play to your mechs strengths, if you are effective at 600m, keep them at 600m, if you are effective at 200m, look for ways to close the distance w/o losing much armor.

I can't do this but I know guys that bring 2 CLPL and 2-5 ERML on EVERY MECH THEY BRING TO CW, regardless of the map, and they melt faces... ALWAYS.

- Moral the story, Clan mechs run hot, learn to live with it.

Edited by MovinTarget, 17 June 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#9 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

Good points made. Some I would add are:

Teamwork starts in the Mechlab... if you're in a group, coordinate your equipment with each other and swap out the right mechs for the map.

'Kite'n-Fight' tactics work well against IS durability... damage IS mechs with Clan range for as long as possible and then when the engagement zone closes, switch to light-weight, high-DPS weapons such as SRM's and Small Lasers.

This goes for both sides but is more important for Clan pilots... Do not poke a group of IS mechs alone.

Twist your damage as much as possible... Clans start with fewer hit points than IS so you need to make the most of yours. Put very little armor in the back--usually no more than 6 points--everything else in front.

Make sure you are hitting the same areas on enemy mechs. For example, if a few pilots are aiming for legs and everyone isn't, then damage is being spread out too much and this plays to IS advantage.

Bonus tip: Clans only have two pinpoint weapons in the game; Gauss and AC2s. I have carried many an FW match with my dual Gauss Hunchie deck because I can aim well. One or two pilots with this setup can mitigate a good portion of IS hit points with good fire placement.

Edited by Charles Sennet, 17 June 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#10 Positive Mental Attitude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWAYup

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:11 AM

Pat pretty much covered it but...

One thing I see often, teams will see their front mech take overwhelming firepower and not follow him into the fight. Front mech gets deleted and then the rest are sitting outside 1 man down and most times in complete disarray from turning around and most likely on comms wondering how he died so fast. At this point your first 12 mechs might as well be dead bc were coming outside to finish off the cowards.

Don't be a coward.

Also wanted to chime in on the gen rush tactic...

Its a fine tactic, it works and has a place but... YOU HAVE TO KILL THE DEFENDERS. I cannot tell you how many times Ive seen well organized groups just rush right to our turret and gens never once trying to shoot us defenders... Its a pitiful sight, It rarely if ever works against a decent team, also makes you look like a coward.

So I guess moral of the story is, dont be a coward.

#11 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

So the best tactic I have is to magically control ghost drops.

That way you can totally take a planet with the least amount of work.

Also switch factions to whatever the fotm merc unit just swapped to so you can pile on and win planets from scrubs that don't want to face off.

GG close.

#12 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

Rules as clan:

Rule one - you will never engage at long optimal range.
Rule two - knife fighting does the most damage
Rule three - bringing anything but knife fight to short range puts you at a disadvantage.

In short the term we use is "brawl their races in", and never stop when engaging. Traffic jams will get everyone killed quicker than anything else.

#13 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

Gen rushing on IS mechs is standard tactic, they can take massive damage and not die.
Against pugs this is very effective tactic.

Sad thing is when smaller, less experienced merc units try this on Clan mechs and.... fail miserably.
On Clan boats it matters less who is against, they simply fall apart much faster.

#14 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:37 PM

Imma just leave one thing here ...

Don´t trust people from the IS .

#15 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:12 AM

Keep it simple