15 replies to this topic

#1 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hello chaps. I've just bought the Atlas mastery pack with Boars Head and it's xl400. I'll be running a standard engine so I was wondering is it worth holding on to the xl400 and if so what would I be likely to use it on?

Or shall I just sell it now?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostThe Lobsters, on 10 June 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Hello chaps. I've just bought the Atlas mastery pack with Boars Head and it's xl400. I'll be running a standard engine so I was wondering is it worth holding on to the xl400 and if so what would I be likely to use it on?

Or shall I just sell it now?

There are BNC and BLR builds that use it.

My all time high damage game (1477) was in an XL400 BNC-3M, actually.

#3 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Well that's just confused me even more lol. The Banshee 3m doesn't have any structure quirks let alone ST quirks. Is there some esoteric assault mech-fu about when to XL that I can't figure out? I'm new to assaults. I mostly drive mediums. I got the Atlas as I was fed up of no-one getting the push going so I thought I'd lead from the front.

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostThe Lobsters, on 10 June 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Thanks for the reply.

Well that's just confused me even more lol. The Banshee 3m doesn't have any structure quirks let alone ST quirks. Is there some esoteric assault mech-fu about when to XL that I can't figure out? I'm new to assaults. I mostly drive mediums. I got the Atlas as I was fed up of no-one getting the push going so I thought I'd lead from the front.

It basically comes down to whether you can get more firepower and survivability (from agility and speed) by running an XL. In these days of high alphas and low TTK, you usually can. I used to think XLing any heavy or assault was daft and now most of the ones I run run XLs.

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

While I personally wouldnt run an atlas with an xl400, like terciel said, battlemasters and banshees "can" run it.

Banshees with 5x LPL is a very scary mech, and usually gets center cored before loosing a side.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 10 June 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

While I personally wouldnt run an atlas with an xl400, like terciel said, battlemasters and banshees "can" run it.

Banshees with 5x LPL is a very scary mech, and usually gets center cored before loosing a side.

Yep. For the record, I should point out that the 5LPL build usually runs an XL375 or XL380 depending on whether you use flamers or small lasers for shims. XL400 BNCs are usually 3LPL and MLs or MPLs.

Edited by TercieI, 10 June 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#7 RolfS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:42 AM

Bsically you should never run XL400, use a lighter chasis if you need the speed. It gets pointless to have more than 320 standard engine rating becuase engine sizes grow faster than linear.
With XL the limit is somewhere around 380 engine rating. You can save a lot more tonnage by reducing the speed of your atlas a few KPH, and I am talking about 2-3 KPH. Avoid the 400XL engine ...

Check out http://remlab.sourceforge.net/ for the original rules.

#8 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

The XL400 Banshee, aka Wubshee, is a beast of a mech. By mounting things carefully, you get 3 Lpls in very high mounts for poking, and I add 4 Mpls and as many heatsinks as possible. I call it "remover of components" Posted Image

If you twist good, the Banshee´s arms with the agility of the XL400 give good tankiness.

@ RolfS: Most good Atlas builds go with a STD 350, and there are plenty of Mechs that make good use of big XLs, especially clan Mechs.

Edited by DarthHias, 11 June 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostRolfS, on 11 June 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

Bsically you should never run XL400, use a lighter chasis if you need the speed. It gets pointless to have more than 320 standard engine rating becuase engine sizes grow faster than linear.
With XL the limit is somewhere around 380 engine rating. You can save a lot more tonnage by reducing the speed of your atlas a few KPH, and I am talking about 2-3 KPH. Avoid the 400XL engine ...

Check out http://remlab.sourceforge.net/ for the original rules.

That's a lot of theory that practical experience is needed to actually test. And will find it wanting, I'm afraid. Yes, the returns start to diminish, but there are other factors to consider (running out of slots/tonnage, extra engine HS slots, agility as well as speed, etc.). DarthHias has pointed out that brawling Atlases run (and need to run) STD350-355 and there are a few builds where the XL400 shines. Bluntly, linear analysis is far too simplistic for reality. There are floors below which mechs are just too slow depending on their roles and spots where other factors mitigate the diminishing returns. Spreadsheet theory is fine and has a place but it also has limitations and can't replace experience.

Edited by TercieI, 11 June 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#10 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostDarthHias, on 11 June 2016 - 08:46 AM, said:

If you twist good, the Banshee´s arms with the agility of the XL400 give good tankiness.

Key to success right here: the Banshee's got shield arms that keep your STs safe if you've got the twist skills. Having the 400XL in a Banshee gives it a faster torso twist and lets you maximize your shield arms.

#11 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, I just got the grand prize for this weekends event, that XL400 engine. Went to Smurfy's and toggled through all the 'mechs and figured out which 'mechs could run an XL400. Saw nothing that made me say "Well, I might be using this later." so I just sold the thing.

#12 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

Battlemaster, especially the 1G running a 400 is faster than most expect out of an 85, and can carry a beast of a weapons load.

Also, remember, how fast you can twist your torso (and move your arms for that matter) is partially reliant upon what engine you put in your mech.

#13 DaveRatters

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:05 AM

You could stuff an XL400 into a AWS-PB - if you want to play the game in "ultra hard mode".

#14 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Never, ever sell an engine back. You never know when it will be useful. I actually bought an XL400 just to play around with on my Battlemasters. It is great fun running them there.

This video is a bit old now, but it is the B33F's video playing a BM with and XL400 and a bunch of Wubs. It will crack you up.

I tried it and loved it, it was a bunch of fun. So much so I made an XL400 variant for all my other Battlemasters.

#15 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, you have to remember that even though the engine is really heavy, it does have 6 slots for heat sinks, which saves you some 18 slots if you're trying to max out on double heat sinks.

#16 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

It might also be worth noting that the Cyclops will be able to handle the 400 when it comes out. Only time will tell if it'll be viable but I'm sure as hell gonna try.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users