• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:41 AM

View Postpizzafly, on 28 September 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

Guys, I don't know if I'm doing wrong, but theoricrafting this, and by stripping arm armor, it seems possible to built a double erppc+gauss with 2 tons of ammo.

Is that right?

You can fit it. With one ton of ammo. That would be insufficient.

Edit: You can, however, slap in a Gauss, LPlas, 3 tons of ammo, and 3 ERMLas. Or Gauss, 3 tons of ammo, and up to 7 ERMLas - though I'd obviously not recommend going that far.

In any case, I cannot wait for the Huntsman. On the basis of the Hunchback IIC being a Hunchback, I refuse to pilot one. I am glad I will be able to slap 2 UAC10 and 2 ERSLas in a Huntsman just fine. As well as the 8xASRM4 build. Or a funky 1 LPLas 5 MPlas configuration. :3

Or a 4xUAC2 joke build.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 September 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#122 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

Suppose I will copy pasta my preemptive Huntsman review from the medium mech page, here:

As someone who has been lobbying for this particular mech for two years, now, I don't think I ever thought it would be the best medium mech we have. However, what I believed, and what I still believe at this point, is that it will offer a fantastic sidegrade mech. Something effectively equal to other options.

For example, we see a lot of Hunchback IIC with 2x UAC10 and 2x ERMLas. What if I told you that you could fit a Huntsman with 2x UAC10 and 2x ERSLas, plenty of ammunition, and an extra jump jet, at the expense of most of the arm armor? It would be ever so slightly slower (what, 3 kph?) and lack the range of the ERMLas that the HBK has, but the ERMLas builds up excessive heat on that build, anyways, and the extra Jump Jet will help it pop-burst people with the UACs or navigate taller terrain. Both the HBK and HMN will have "see it shoot it" hardpoints for those guns, as well. HBK has side torsos that end where the cockpit is, but the HMN will have narrower side torsos which may be harder to latch onto. It's an extremely close comparison, there.

Perhaps the biggest knock against the HMN, in this case, is that it cannot stick both UAC10 in the same torso, but, personally? I prefer symmetrical builds, anyways, as they are harder to disable by getting one torso focused down. It's a play style preference differentiation in that.

Similar comparison crops up with the 2x LPLas 2x ERMLas setups. Same benefits, same limitations. Slightly higher jumps on the HMN. Slightly higher cockpit placement on the HBK.

With missile based builds, the HMN is outright superior to the HBK-IIC. In HEAVY ballistics (Gauss/LBX20/UAC20) or multi-small-dakka setups, the HBK will be superior to the HMN. However, that is the extreme end of the ballistic setup spectrum.

However, in mixed builds, such as Gauss-Vom, the HMN is far superior to the HBK. It could easily fit a Gauss, plenty of ammo, and 6 ERMLas, or, if you prefer, a Gauss, ERPPC (or LPLas), and 3 ERMLas. This is not something that Hunchback has access to in any way, shape, or form. This is more of a Stormcrow thing, which it compares with well, too. It simply trades ~15 KPH for the ability to jump jet. This lets it poptart, something the 'crow can never do, or be a superior brawling platform due to the extra mobility and hitbox distortion jump jets provide in a knife fight.

Compared to the Nova, the HMN will never be as capable in boating a ludicrous number of smaller lasers. It just will not. That is ok, and the Nova has its own flaws, but this keeps the mech relevant. Keeps the choices in the 50-ton category competitive with one another.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 September 2016 - 06:42 AM.

#123 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:55 AM

The huntsman might spell doom for Faction Play Scouting vs Inner Sphere. Forget about taking a light mech in scouting with a possible 7 streak 6's out there.

#124 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 29 September 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

The huntsman might spell doom for Faction Play Scouting vs Inner Sphere. Forget about taking a light mech in scouting with a possible 7 streak 6's out there.

I was going to say that anyone who loads up on streaks on the HMN is committing a horrible sin. However, it can fit up to 8 of them. 8 Streak 4s would actually be threatening just by volume of fire against even a medium mech. Still, it would be significantly less efficient at killing, being unable to aim and cluster shots tightly. 8x Artemis SRM4, on the other hand, is terrifying. Two salvos of 32 damage each. Each salvo being a fairly tight spread. Could even do 2/2/4 for heat throttling purposes, easily.

#125 pizzafly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 September 2016 - 04:41 AM, said:

You can fit it. With one ton of ammo. That would be insufficient.

Edit: You can, however, slap in a Gauss, LPlas, 3 tons of ammo, and 3 ERMLas. Or Gauss, 3 tons of ammo, and up to 7 ERMLas - though I'd obviously not recommend going that far.

In any case, I cannot wait for the Huntsman. On the basis of the Hunchback IIC being a Hunchback, I refuse to pilot one. I am glad I will be able to slap 2 UAC10 and 2 ERSLas in a Huntsman just fine. As well as the 8xASRM4 build. Or a funky 1 LPLas 5 MPlas configuration. :3

Or a 4xUAC2 joke build.

I'm really glad with this one.
I'm theoricrafting a lot of builds.
About the "Tryhard wannabe" build (2erppc+gauss) it's quite a joke, but more realistically a good build can be 2erppc+TC7+xDHS.

Then, the splatman, the lurman, etc. Very fun.
With all those free tons and all those hardpoints will be very fun mechlabbing Posted Image

#126 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 29 September 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Eh, the Skillcrow already blasts Lights out of the water - if you're bringing Lights to the table in Scouting, you have to avoid combat initially to grab intel, then wolf-pack them down if they spread out to search for you (if they get all but one of their intel points and then camp the first one, you're going to either wait out the timer or try to get the last bit without dying; Good luck.)

#127 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

View Postpizzafly, on 28 September 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

Guys, I don't know if I'm doing wrong, but theoricrafting this, and by stripping arm armor, it seems possible to built a double erppc+gauss with 2 tons of ammo.

Is that right?

If you want to get an idea of what the Huntsman can carry, the Hunchback IIC is the same weight class, so hop on Smurphy's, give a Hunchie IIC an XL 250 engine, max out the JJs, and maybe add a half ton of ammo for a weapon you can't use to represent the 5th locked JJ, and viola.

Basically though it's got 24 tons of pod space with 12 points short of max armor. 2 ERPPCs is too hot for a medium anyway.

#128 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 29 September 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

If you want to get an idea of what the Huntsman can carry, the Hunchback IIC is the same weight class, so hop on Smurphy's, give a Hunchie IIC an XL 250 engine, max out the JJs, and maybe add a half ton of ammo for a weapon you can't use to represent the 5th locked JJ, and viola.

Basically though it's got 24 tons of pod space with 12 points short of max armor. 2 ERPPCs is too hot for a medium anyway.

Cool Posted Image

Though I do run a HUNCHBACK IIC with 2xERPPC Posted Image

Edited by chucklesMuch, 29 September 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#129 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:29 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 29 September 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

Well, while it's true they have the same tonnage, Huncie is a battlemech, while Huntsman is a Omnimech.
This changes the free spaces.
For instance, the Huntsman can have only 5 free spaces in LT.
Then, it has 1 JJ per leg, so no DHS there.

They can have similar builds, but also very different ones.
In general, Huntsman have space problems, but much more possible builds, being an omnimech.

Edit: forgot to mention that there are pleanty of mechs running double peeps...and nope, they are not too hot (maybe you like high dps builds): 2peeps nova, 2peeps crow, 2 peeps Hunchie, 2peeps hawk, etc.
It's a good loadout and u only need 2 E hardpoints

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 30 September 2016 - 02:41 AM.

#130 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:02 AM

One week and one day before the previews are up. Dis gun be good!

#131 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 September 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

Suppose I will copy pasta my preemptive Huntsman review from the medium mech page, here...

Good review, when I saw the huntsman I knew I had to order it. It definitely adds something to the Trueborn medium class that we needed, been waiting to add one to my dropdeck.

#132 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostJ0anna, on 03 October 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

Good review, when I saw the huntsman I knew I had to order it. It definitely adds something to the Trueborn medium class that we needed, been waiting to add one to my dropdeck.

Only Freeborn are truly born. "Trueborns" are artificial constructs.

Clan scum.

#133 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:39 AM

View Postpizzafly, on 28 September 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

In the "Lurman" variant, of course Posted Image
(with 8 M hardpoints....yummy!)

Luckily only the Hero-payers get to have those additional 2M torsos .. It's gonna be a pain to fend of those one-shot-pop machines :-/

Edited by Willothius, 04 October 2016 - 02:41 AM.

#134 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

Posted Image

Again, the modeling on this mech is just astounding. Gorgeous concept art and gorgeous follow through in 3d!

#135 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 October 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

Again, the modeling on this mech is just astounding. Gorgeous concept art and gorgeous follow through in 3d!

Where have you find this?

IT's freaking A W E S O M E.... Posted Image

#136 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 October 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

A W E S O M E !

#137 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

Messing around with the lab, if you strip the arms completely, drop the head to around 10 armor, and the legs to around 39 armor, you can barely cram in there 2 ERPPC and 1 Gauss Rifle with 2 tons of ammo. It... might be enough ammo given it has the two ERPPC to back it up, but it is about half a ton less ammo than I'd be strictly comfortable with. No doubt a nasty piece of work. Going to suffer from heat, though, if the enemy can close distance. Going to run hot if forced to keep up sustained firepower. Doable, though.

All these guns would be in line with the cockpit, too. At 50 tons with 5 JJ, it gets a significant jump, as well.

On an upside, it doesn't require anything beyond the basic Huntsman package.

I could totally see this roaming the backfields. Just remember that it will run extremely hot, and once that Gauss explodes, the mech will be effectively at 5 DHS to cool two ERPPC. Gonna be in a world of hurt if that happens.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 09 October 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#138 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:44 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 09 October 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

Messing around with the lab, if you strip the arms completely, drop the head to around 10 armor, and the legs to around 39 armor, you can barely cram in there 2 ERPPC and 1 Gauss Rifle with 2 tons of ammo. It... might be enough ammo given it has the two ERPPC to back it up, but it is about half a ton less ammo than I'd be strictly comfortable with. No doubt a nasty piece of work. Going to suffer from heat, though, if the enemy can close distance. Going to run hot if forced to keep up sustained firepower. Doable, though.

All these guns would be in line with the cockpit, too. At 50 tons with 5 JJ, it gets a significant jump, as well.

On an upside, it doesn't require anything beyond the basic Huntsman package.

I could totally see this roaming the backfields. Just remember that it will run extremely hot, and once that Gauss explodes, the mech will be effectively at 5 DHS to cool two ERPPC. Gonna be in a world of hurt if that happens.

Why not use the Night Gyr though for a more effective version of that loadout? I'm all for striker mediums but there are a lot of effective and good loadouts to use on the Huntsman, so I'm unsure of the wisdom of trying to emulate a loadout from a mech 25 tons heavier and with the heat quirk. ;)

#139 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostAramuside, on 10 October 2016 - 05:44 AM, said:

Why not use the Night Gyr though for a more effective version of that loadout? I'm all for striker mediums but there are a lot of effective and good loadouts to use on the Huntsman, so I'm unsure of the wisdom of trying to emulate a loadout from a mech 25 tons heavier and with the heat quirk. ;)

I hear there is a mythical game mode which assigns a tonnage limit. Also, competitive drops where it might be weight class limited, such as a 2-2-2-2 deck. It might not make sense in puglandia, but there are good reasons for it to be used.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 10 October 2016 - 09:30 AM.

#140 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 10 October 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

I hear there is a mythical game mode which assigns a tonnage limit. Also, competitive drops where it might be weight class limited, such as a 2-2-2-2 deck. It might not make sense in puglandia, but there are good reasons for it to be used.

In either of those cases, though, it'd probably make more sense to either run dual cERPPCs with a TC7, or a TC1 and as many heat sinks as you can hit, or swap out one of the PPCs for more Goose ammo and, again, heat sinks. You can pack the 2+G armament onto a Huntsman, but the sacrifices you make for it are pretty steep. Seems more like something the HBK-IIC-C might handle better, though the hardpoints are obviously not placed as nicely and you lose a ton of speed and jumping power. You get to keep the third ton of Gauss ammo, though. And also most of your armor.

Has the benefit of matching pace with the Night Gyrs it would be complementing, though the arm-mounted PPCs would be problematic for toaster pastry work. Hn. You know, it really might just be a twitch too much armament for a 50-ton 'Mech to carry comfortably kinna regardless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users