Basic Deck? Units?

3 replies to this topic

#1 DasKraeken

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hey there. I've been playing quick play for quite a couple months now and have mastered two mechs, the Atlas & the Jenner. I figure it's time to start thinking about building a deck to play Faction and wanted advice on how to round out the deck. Which mechs would b good to fill it out based on the two mechs I have? Do the 2 brawlers work in the current Meta?

Also - I play several times a week in the PST time zone. If there are any Units I could drop with that are heavily, PST, please let me know. Thx!

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

You say the Altlas and Jenner are mastered, so no need to discuss that as a requisite.

If you are bound and determined to run one of each of those in your CW deck (Atlas and Jenner) then you don't have much choice but to go with a Heavy and a Medium for your other two (yes you could go with a Heavy and a light or two mediums, but I would not recommend it). For my money I would go with Warhammer or a Grasshopper (70 tons) and then a Black Jack (45tons).

While I still favor mixed LPLs and ML for my default deck many seem to agree that the meta has shifted to include SRMs and still in the process of shifting toward ballistics. Both the Hammer and the BJ have variants which are hardpoint diverse enough to allow you to change the mechs as desired; whether you play to the meta or not.

If you are open to a whole new set of mechs: most of the folks I know prefer 3-4 fast heavies with a light to fill in the gap on the fourth drop if needed. Only occasionally does anyone call for an assault wave. BTW: Fast heavies refer to anything capable of moving 75-80ish kph and include mechs like the Black Knight, Warhammer, Ghopper, Tbolt, Jagger, etc.

My default deck is atm a BK, GH, QD and a BJ. Though I often just run three QDs and a GH.
I like to include Cataphracts and Jaggers (or other ballistics builds) for Vitric and Sulfur.

Full disclosure: I have only played FP invasion mode maybe 12-18 times since P3 dropped.

#3 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

Hey, welcome to FP. I hope you love it and keep playing it, because it's awesome and the more the merrier.

So first things first, if you've got those two mechs mastered, Bud is right that you'll need a heavy and a medium to round your deck out. You don't want to run a deck with two Jenners in FP unless you're a light pilot wizard.

The Atlas is viable for FP. Though it's not exactly in line with the meta, it's still a good solid mech that helps the team out in a brawl and also draws a lot of fire, which is good because sharing armor is essential in FP. So if you run an Atlas and a jenner, you've got the weight for a great medium and a great heavy left. I'd also suggest a 45 ton Blackjack, which leaves you 70 tons: enough for the absolute kings of the current IS meta: the Grasshoppers and the Warhammers. Can't agree with Bud more here.

If you're on more of a c-bill budget, the 65-ton T-bolt paired with a 50-ton Crab or Enforcer will also work like a charm. They're all tough and maneuverable and have the flexibility to handle the terrain and environment challenges of the FP maps.

Very important note: whatever you decide, buy the heavy chassis first. The 3/1 heavy-med or heavy-light deck is way, way more viable than decks that have a mixture of assaults, mediums, and lights. I'd also wager that you'll be running a 3-heavy deck pretty quickly.

Edited by Karl the Plumber, 10 July 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#4 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

If you can scrounge up 50 million, you can buy on of each warhammer for cbills and drop that with your jenner.

While they can run hot depending on your build, every single warhammer is a viable mech so you get good bang for your buck. Also, since you have all 3 you can master them together.

3 x whammers and a jenner make a pretty decent deck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users