Countdown To The Phoenix Hawk Release Day!

195 replies to this topic

#41 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

Here is Russ's reply to my question about the placement of the right arm medium laser in the pistol vs the vambrace:

Russ on Twitter said:

Russ Bullock@russ_bullock 33m33 minutes ago

Alex did kind of a nice mix I think

Russ Bullock@russ_bullock 6m6 minutes ago

meant his design was sort of a hybrid - new but with homage to the pistol is the way I would describe it

I get the impression that the first hardpoint is the pistol, second is the double-barrel and third is the vambrace. I don't think he fully understood my question. Either way I think the hardpoint placement looks clunky if the second energy hardpoint doesn't go in the vambrace. That means that for the variants with only 2 E hardpoints in the right arm, you'll have an ugly vambrace with no weapons.

Of course, this is all just aesthetics which is secondary to how it performs but I love the concept art for it and want it to match.

Edited by Stuffer, 15 June 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#42 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 15 June 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

I'd suggest you tweet to Russ's twitter then.

I do think you're SLIGHTLY overreacting.

Maybe, but it speaks to their continued lack of attention to detail if what we see in the picture is true. It also rustles my OCD jimmies intensely, and let's face it, they don't exactly have a sterling record when it comes to their "dynamic" hard points looking stellar.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) I have no twitter account, and don't really see myself ever having one. Thankfully other folks here have asked, so I'll wait to hear what the response is.

#43 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

View Postdimachaerus, on 15 June 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

Maybe, but it speaks to their continued lack of attention to detail if what we see in the picture is true. It also rustles my OCD jimmies intensely, and let's face it, they don't exactly have a sterling record when it comes to their "dynamic" hard points looking stellar.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) I have no twitter account, and don't really see myself ever having one. Thankfully other folks here have asked, so I'll wait to hear what the response is.

You can see Russ's reply to my twitter question above your post. I don't think he fully understood what I was asking. I also tweeted him to see if it is possible to have the hardpoint placement order as the following:

Right Arm
1: Pistol, 2: Vambrace and 3: Second pistol barrel. Haven't heard back on that one yet.

Edited by Stuffer, 15 June 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#44 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

View PostStuffer, on 15 June 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

You can see Russ's reply to my twitter question above your post. I don't think he fully understood what I was asking. I also tweeted him to see if we can make sure the hardpoint placement is 1: Pistol, 2: Vambrace and 3: Second pistol barrel. Haven't heard back on that one yet.

Well, like I said, -IF- its actually fubarred like we fear, I'm going to get a refund. Vote with my wallet to show my displeasure.

#45 Apollo Aurelius

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

View PostRamrod AI, on 14 June 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

This thing better have good quirks. So sick of PGI dropping the ball with quirks with the past several mechs.

I think you might be misunderstanding the purpose of quirks. They're supposed to help make under used mechs with various short comings more appealing to pilot so that we have a greater variety on the field. Clan/IS bias aside, if something doesn't have a lot of quirks, that usually means its pretty good in its own right.

Edited by Apollo Aurelius, 15 June 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#46 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

I still think, provided it's not Centurion-sized, it'll be just fine. It'll be able to jump through the sky and be relatively quick. I figure it'll play something like an oversized Spider.

#47 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

Also: where's the update? SIX DAYS LEFT

#48 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

Haha, was about to ask the same. On the 6th day...

#49 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

Honestly looking forward to the Phoenix Hawk after finally getting around to my Wolfhounds. I think the PXH will play a lot like a jump capable Wolfhound, or at least that is how I intend to play it. And I never understand when they push updates for preview pages, sometimes it is right at 10am PDT sometimes it is at like 5pm PDT. Whatever the case, I can't wait to have these mechs to play around with, once the Medium queue normalizes.

#50 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 15 June 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

Honestly looking forward to the Phoenix Hawk after finally getting around to my Wolfhounds. I think the PXH will play a lot like a jump capable Wolfhound, or at least that is how I intend to play it. And I never understand when they push updates for preview pages, sometimes it is right at 10am PDT sometimes it is at like 5pm PDT. Whatever the case, I can't wait to have these mechs to play around with, once the Medium queue normalizes.

I'm planning to run what's basically a "Super-Wolfhound" loadout on my PXH-1K, the one jumpless variant. Mean laser arm plus a pair of ML's in the CT, in case the arm is shot off. Posted Image

#51 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Got some further clarification from Daeron on Twitter regarding both arm hardpoints

Daeron on Twitter said:

Bombadil@TheBombadilShow

@russ_bullock Right arm, first two energy hardpoints are part of the "rifle", 3rd is on the arm.

Bombadil@TheBombadilShow

@crackenspank @russ_bullock Left arm, if only 1 energy hardpoint, it's on the arm. If there are 2, they're a rifle. If 3rd, it's on the arm.

So there you have it! Now to convince them to make the #2 hardpoint on the vambrace. Posted Image

Edited by Stuffer, 15 June 2016 - 12:52 PM.

#52 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostStuffer, on 15 June 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

Got some further clarification from Daeron on Twitter regarding both arm hardpoints

So there you have it! Now to convince them to make the #2 hardpoint on the vambrace. Posted Image

Make it happen people!
Flood Russ's twitter!

We got the Warhammer changed (even more significantly), we can get Phoenix Hawk changed too!

#53 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

For clarity's sake, can we just ask them to change both arms to always populate the 1st energy weapon to the arm? Then following weapons populate the 'rifle'.

Edited by Malleus011, 15 June 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#54 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostMalleus011, on 15 June 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

For clarity's sake, can we just ask them to change both arms to always populate the 1st energy weapon to the arm? Then following weapons populate the 'rifle'.

Sounds good to me. Doesn't really affect how it'll play because the difference in hardpoint height between the arm and pistol are minor. But man, in my mind, it makes a huge visual difference.

#55 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

View PostStuffer, on 15 June 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

That is literally the most ********... Oh wait, its PGI these sort of things somehow make sense to them. Well, it changes or I get my money back I guess.

Seriously though, why would you even make it that way? It looks hideous and makes ZERO sense to leave a big open spot with a big square bit sticking out.

#56 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

Make yourself heard to Russ on Twitter and maybe we'll see it get changed. The more people squawking (nicely, of course), the harder it is to ignore. You know, that whole "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing. :)

Edited by Stuffer, 15 June 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#57 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

I think it should be carrying a hatchet instead of a rifle anyways. Because Hatchetman.

#58 Stuffer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 15 June 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

I think it should be carrying a hatchet instead of a rifle anyways. Because Hatchetman.

But only if we get to swat away Elementals with it!

#59 Ronin13m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 136 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

My problem with this is the point for the 3rd laser will be on every phoenix hawk weather they use them or not. But the dual gun is only really needed for two of the 7. Unless it looks better in game then the pics shown so far. That missing laser will make the arm look wrong compared to the other side.

#60 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostX Player, on 15 June 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

This thing is going to be a pain, especially the Masc variant with it's 169 kph boosts...

Uhm... won't that be right near the 170 KPH game engine limit cap? :blink:

View PostDawnstealer, on 15 June 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

Uhm... no. <*smacks Dawnstealer out cold with a giant trout*>

Sooooooooooo sick of the bad puns that keep popping up about that melee mech... -_-

~D. V. "Insane Mech-related catch-up..." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users