Do We Really Need So Many Factions?

84 replies to this topic

#61 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

PGI can do a lot to balance factions by limiting the number of merc units in one faction. But they don't so we have what we have now, which is over 200 merc units in jade falcon and like 5 merc units in ghost bear. This in the end kills game play cause when you only have one attack lane and one defend lane, it's difficult for anyone to get in a match when a 12 man premade is que up.

#62 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostCzarr, on 18 June 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

PGI can do a lot to balance factions by limiting the number of merc units in one faction. But they don't so we have what we have now, which is over 200 merc units in jade falcon and like 5 merc units in ghost bear. This in the end kills game play cause when you only have one attack lane and one defend lane, it's difficult for anyone to get in a match when a 12 man premade is que up.

We all went Jade falcon b/c its the path to getting sure fights with both Steiner and FRR...

MS commited to Smoke Jags for a couple of weeks and how that work out?

I'm sorry but no one wnats nothing but dry drops...

The best (not easiest) thing would be to work CW to be APPEALING TO MORE PEOPLE. As long as the population sucks, no amount of bandaids and duct tape will fix it.

#63 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

New thought on the minimizing the impact of big units...

What if you could not attack a new planet while a planet you have unit tags on is currently under attack (i.e. there are 12+ attackers, or any pie pieces to recapture).

The idea is that you basically have to try to hold on to what you have before you can go grab more. In fact if you have planets on 2 fronts, you'll need to defend either or both, before members of your unit can queue to attack.

This means at least to some degree, the more successful your unit is, the more likely you won't be able to take another planet until you've secured any of yours that are currently vulnerable.

Additionally, this will prevent so many dry drops unless the owners of the planet simply decide not to play FP, because they would have to defend their planet(s).

There might be flaws that I'm not seeing in this idea, feel free to rip it apart... I'd rather that than try to push some poorly thought out concept...

Edited by MovinTarget, 18 June 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#64 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 18 June 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

We all went Jade falcon b/c its the path to getting sure fights with both Steiner and FRR...

MS commited to Smoke Jags for a couple of weeks and how that work out?

I'm sorry but no one wnats nothing but dry drops...

The best (not easiest) thing would be to work CW to be APPEALING TO MORE PEOPLE. As long as the population sucks, no amount of bandaids and duct tape will fix it.

well first of all it's a little too late to do anything cause PGI didn't do anything to fix FP so most of the population are gone, which is why their are no fights anywhere except jade falcon and steiner. Before...in beta FP (or CW as it was called) had enough population to have equal fights across all factions. Add to the fact that the pugs aren't going to play only to be stomped. Pugs think this is COD and they are only in it for stats. So they aren't going to listen to some guy telling them what to do despite all the keyboard warriors telling them to get in groups, even within a group their is no way to win...look at the leaderboards and you noticed that only the top 20 or so units have positive Win/lose ratios. This means that the ONLY way you can't be stomped is to join a top tier unit. The total design of FP is flawed from the beginning. I am not sure what you mean by appealing to more players. I think trying to appeal to Casuals is exactly the kind of thing that has scared away most of the hardcore players.

Edited by Czarr, 18 June 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#65 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

Funny how people think you have to be hardcore and top tier in FP, often, there aren't enough of us to flesh out a full twelve man...

#66 Ice6

• PipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

It should be Clan vs. IS, there should be no "freelancers." Mercenaries keep as is. You can keep your faction but All Clans are allied and All IS are allied. That way its a larger pool of players.

#67 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:05 AM

The reason there are freelancers is to appeal to those that don't want to commit to a group/unit/faction/tech.

I am not sure it should exist either as coordination and synergy are critical to success in 12 v12 (even 4v4). I am not even trying to complain about pugs here. The fact is that they will also feel shafted by having a team thats not cohesive. Everybody suffers.

Yes, yes you may get some drops where you win despite being a mixed bag, i am betting those are few and far between.

#68 Julmust Jaeger

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

Given how low population is for CW/FW I really don't see why factions aren't just consolidated into IS vs. Clanners.

If at some point population increases, then sure, reintroduce a couple of factions, but it's just pointless to have this many factions when maybe two of them have even a slight population.

People can still "RP" if they want and pretend they are a Steiner unit or whatever, but it should make it easier for decent matches to occur (and for people to play together).

Edited by Julmust Jaeger, 07 July 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#69 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

They would definitely have to combine it better than what we are doing in this event...

#70 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

Stop letting players choose where they fight. Let them choose who they fight for when they take a contract, then automatically pair them up with a ready opponent (12-man team) in a Faction Play lobby.

Then apply the results of the fight on the appropriate battle front or simply give the winners an appropriate award if they are "raiding" a distant Faction and do not share a border.

#71 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

Some of those factions are small because their Loyalists tend to be incredibly toxic, it would take a massive reward to convince people to go there...

*cough* Liao

#72 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:36 AM

View PostJavin, on 14 June 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Sadly the south is very dead for FP.

we show up. where are you?

#73 Cart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:45 AM

Posted Image
So...Just scratch the "Mechwarrior"™ and "Battletech" out of the name and do whatever you like, ok?!

Many players are going, because MWO is getting further away from Battletech day by day...bacause there is no real BT-feeling in FP and loyal House-/Clan-Units have no meaning in FP and the whole FP is ruled by Merc-Units.
The balancing is changed completely every few weeks because someones whining or to promote a new Mech.

And the solution is to remove more of the Battletech-Lore?! Will surely work out well...

#74 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

Once the Clans were added the whole focus has been on the IS/Clan border. The southern factions just feel tacked on, or added just for completion's sake.

PGI should just reorganize the map and only include Kurita, FFR, and Fed Com.

#75 Dave Slade

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

View PostIronClaws, on 16 June 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

We need all the factions because this is "A BATTLETECH GAME".

This is True. I have been playing Battletech from tabletop days from FASA. You can't just say "Sorry there is no more Davion" or any other faction just to force players to consolidate.

#76 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:01 PM

I like turtles

#77 Thorn Blackwell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

Consolidation isn't the solution. The problem is simple:
1) In the Battletech universe clan tech was never used by mercs (with a few singular exceptions/ we're talking pilots here not lances or companies/ Wolf Dragoons were clan spies not mercs), and the clans would never have hired mercenaries. To the clans, mercs were one rung below excrement.
2) There were bidding wars amongst the clans on unit composition to oppose any IS units. The smallest force won the contest. This was why clans didn't overwhelm every force they attacked.
3) The balance of power in the game was mirrored in the storyline, but diverging greatly from the basics of the game and storyline has created the issues we have now.

The solution isn't simple:
1) Mercs should never be allowed to fight for clans, or use clan tech in faction warfare.
2) a significant bonus should be given to those who fight for a Noble House, and only for the Houses.
3) There can be no ghost drops. If there is no opposing force for a battle, but an opposing force is currently fighting then the attack is delayed until the opposition is out of its last battle. If there is no opposing force then the war is over on that planet for the day. No planets will be awarded except by combat. This is a necessity, as there aren't enough players in the game to represent the number of pilots in the House militaries.

If it can be done:
4) Clans should have to bid for invasions. Smallest force wins, and since the forces should be smaller the spoils may be divided by a smaller number of pilots.

#78 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostThorn Blackwell, on 10 August 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

3) There can be no ghost drops. If there is no opposing force for a battle, but an opposing force is currently fighting then the attack is delayed until the opposition is out of its last battle. If there is no opposing force then the war is over on that planet for the day. No planets will be awarded except by combat. This is a necessity, as there aren't enough players in the game to represent the number of pilots in the House militaries.

that's not how war works. If we're both fighting over something, and I show up, and you don't, then I win.

If my Houses mechs land unopposed on your planet, how can you rightly say it's still yours?

#79 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

There was action in the South before phase 3. Phase 3 introduced mostly punitive restrictions where it promised a more dynamic play. We can reduce buckets all day long but no one will want to play if we don't get real improvements.

#80 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

It won't work. Faction loyalties run too deep, and merging them into generic Inner Sphere vs. Clan matches will just ruin the game 's universe and drive away more players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users