578 replies to this topic

#561 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostDassh, on 22 June 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

Yes, it is all about DPS. But I don't see how could these changes help this and not just make the situation worse.

- We'll see...

On paper it's awesome, indeed, but just try to imagine how the usual player will react to this?
Like, they tweaked around with sensor ranges before, did it mean anything actually? Not much...

- Usual player also take strange build, overheat mech and blow himself to air, run like in FPS shooter, kill teammates by mistake... Knowing where is enemy - is good. Second step - not wait until it turn from you and go to his back, but poking from hill, look in front of you and battle. Really - it's ok.

As long as even conquest matches are about to steamroll the enemy 9 of 10 times (btw I appreciate the newish mechanic to capture points even if there's no enemy...) and you know after the map is chosen that where will you go and prob. when will they come, there's no point in intell data.

- And that can prevent steamroll. When you have no info of which way enemy looking - you don't rush whole team in full speed only for killing in back 4-5 mech of enemy as fast as you can. In cost of some teammates. You'll plan your move. Send mech to position by their build and capabilities. That bring more sense in strategy. Or even lance play.

The problem isn't about how should be intel gathering implemented or not, in the first place, but what is the reason, the benefit for all the souting at all? Atm not much.

- If it compensate DPS reward for light and medium mech - why not? Not long ago I read posts about many dead and useless light mech. Now they can get chance to be playable.

And sure, I use BAP aswell and I have UAV on most of my Mechs, but the only reason for them is to help with that DPS (so faster lock and such) never to scout (I even throw up UAV where I know they are to help others get locks).

I still think it won't help the problem but rather cause harm.

- And soon you also provide vital info about enemy as well. Not for DPS only and LRM support. Especially with that "love" to LRM users I see each game. But - we'll see. Everything is changes sometimes. As a community - we must provide clear feedback to make that changes as better as it can be.

Edited by Tiantara, 22 June 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#562 Argond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 782 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostNo One Lives Forever, on 22 June 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

How do you disable command wheel sounds? Agree, many people liked Frozen City Old map. It should be in a circulation.

Posted Image

Enjoy the silence (c) Depeche Mode Posted Image

#563 AmazingOnionMan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Thank you!

#564 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostDassh, on 22 June 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

Reading through the upcoming fixes (https://mwomercs.com...ng-new-mini-map), as I see, two important things are still missing:

1. Facing of all players on the map.
I don't need WoT-style diamonds - not even if they can display extra info, like weight-class or dunno - but I need triangles showing who looks what direction.

2. The terrain info has to be more visible, not just some dark background without any contrast.
E.g. a Locust running through River City will watch obstacles and buildings as much as other Mechs.

If you really want to make some improvement in this field, compared to the old minimap, then design the background image a way to make obstacles an elevation easily accessible information for the viewer (so, basically, the "what my surroundings are look like" thing).

The triangles before only showed which way a mech's legs were facing, not which way the torso was pointed so really not much help to sneak up behind a mech. I'd much rather know the weight class of what I'm about to round the corner at than the direction its legs are going.

#565 Dassh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 22 June 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

The triangles before only showed which way a mech's legs were facing, not which way the torso was pointed so really not much help to sneak up behind a mech. I'd much rather know the weight class of what I'm about to round the corner at than the direction its legs are going.

Actually, the orientation of the legs what I'm interested in, not the torso. So it was perfect that way.
I'm interested in this info to know things like where a group of enemies are basically heading or in what direction a firing line is set up.
Damn, when I play my Locust, I even check the minimap after storming next to a Fatty in a BnZ, to check is he turning after me and if yes, which direction is he turning.
So, it is important data and more important than some torso-twisting.

And weight classes:

Since this isn't WoT, they do not matter at all to be honest.
What matter are the weapon loadout of the enemy and the actual state of its health. In this sense, it would be better if they were figure out a way to display things like "LRM boat", "LPL boat", etc. And to display the enemy health instead of the nobody-cares weight class.

But, the funny thing is, that these were already implemented. With pressing that 'Q', I can get the info about the general health state (percentages...) and after targeting even the detailed one. And by getting the exact variant of the chassis, I can make a guess what build could it run. And even if I don't drop with cracking fresh newbies, on voip people usually give info that 'it's a splatdog', 'a quadAC whale' etc.

So, based on these, I hope you see that the new system only took away valuable information to replace them with ones that I'm not interested in at all.

(Like, who cares what weight class he is basically?? What matter are how many damage it can still take and with what weapon it can hit me from what range and with what heat efficiency.)

Edited by Dassh, 22 June 2016 - 11:43 AM.

#566 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

TURNING

turning off dialogue also turns off the scout instructions/dropship voice. So if you walk away expecting to hear "reactor online, weapons online" as the sign to return to your computer... you're losing that.

Edited by Dee Eight, 22 June 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#567 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

I'd like to be able to see my teammate's directions, but I'm just really really glad they listened to player feedback this time! I'll feel less bad about pre-ordering the PXH once the fix is in place. I think I'll be pretty happy with the patch afterwards, all things considered.

#568 Daemon04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationYou can google Mozartkugel or you can scan an Austrian.

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

I just noticed the ingame leaderboard for quickplay being not up to date with the total games played.
Is there an option to add them there or is this just from patch-6-21-16 onwards?

#569 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostExoForce, on 22 June 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Thanks for the Pro-tip !

I am paranoid in hell, so I have a bad feeling about this hot-fix. They will not gave up from their "ideas". Never.

The teleport bug has been around for a very long time. I just mention it every once in a while in the hope that PGI might bump it up on their priority list someday. (Assuming that the bug can be fixed.) Posted Image

#570 Dimension Zero

Rookie

• Sergeant II
  • Sergeant II
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Wow...all my time spent acquiring these mechs to be turned to trash...Clans have a big significant advantage in CW and now the gap has grown larger. These IS quirks were the only things keeping CW somewhat "balanced"... I have never seen a gaming company continue time and again to make terrible decisions and be able to keep afloat, consider yourself lucky Battletech fans are a cult fandom or PGI would really be in trouble.

#571 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

They didn't unquirk things so badly as people are making it out like the sky is falling. Geez...overreact much?

#572 Alphaeus

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

Yo. Since the patch I can't hear C-PLAS in my KDK. What happened there?

#573 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Okay... I've finally caught up with this whole blasted thread, and two other related threads. About time I stuck in my thoughts on the matter? More like overdue, by about 5 days. But that's what you get when everything else gets in the way, including Real Life. Anyway, I'm going to stick to things I've directly experienced/tested so far, in order to save time. And I'm going to keep it to things that have passed my minimum on having enough knowledge to actually give some real feedback. Here I go...
  • Mech Re-Scale
    Okay, PGI... I might have initially been happy, except for a few noteworthy things. Like, GLARING noteworthy things...

The first? If you're going to make the 65-Ton Catapult so small, leaving the equal-weight 65-Ton Ebon Jaguar so huge by comparison is completely unfair. If you're going to resize one so drastically, the other should receive a drastic resize as well. Otherwise, the Catapult needs a little size back, and a slight re-boost in quirks.

The second? WHY DID YOU SCREW UP THE CAMO ON THE CATAPULT, PGI?!?!? I had it all nicely laid out, and now it looks like "Fisher Price" junk! It feels like somebody made a lame toy of the Paint Job! I can't even re-paint it into anything useful, and none of the other mechs have been affected this badly! What were you trying to do, slap all Catapult-owning Pilots in the face for ever thinking of using one without paying $$$ for Extra Camo Options? LOOK AT THE OLD CATAPULT CAMO SETUP, AND THEN LAY IT ONTO THE NEW CATAPULT! Don't give Catapult-owning Pilots using Basic Camo such a massive headache by placing them at a disadvantage versus other Mechs' Basic Camo!

The Third? Some Mechs are oversize, from what I can tell so far. Why is the StormCrow so freaking huge in the Mech Bay view now? It appears to have been unnecessarily given height to rival a WarHawk or Dire Wolf, where it shouldn't even be close to as big as those. And why is the Executioner and Atlas both so tall that they go beyond the maximum height of what the Mech Bay Camera can show? Perhaps further re-scale adjustments are in order to fix some unusual issues?

...and overall, I'm left scratching my head, wondering what happened. Something doesn't appear to have gone right when the Art Department was Re-Scaling all the Mechs. I suspect there's even more things I haven't noticed as of yet!
  • New MiniMap/BattleGrid
    PGI, my initial review for this would have been worse than dismal. The level of disorientation, nausea, dizziness, etc. that I was feeling at the time from your first changes to the MiniMap, trying to trudge through an event where I was depending on that fundamental little piece of the HUD to not be messed up, almost caused me to stop playing completely. And I'm a freaking 'Tier 3' player, not the best, but definitely not the worst! Having to recalculate massively for not having the "relative to my own Mech's localized positioning/rotation" in my HUD started to take its' toll all too quickly. If there hadn't been an event on, I would have seriously considered never touching MWO again in my lifetime. Good thing you patched that mistake quickly.

Now, your second set of changes to the MiniMap only partially redeemed it. Weight Class Info should be part of something like the 'Targeting Info Gathering' Module, instead of Basic Info on the MiniMap, as those really are advanced details. The 'Directional Arrows' of where Mech Legs are pointed should still be on the HUD as the Basic Information, as they're visually examinable while locking targets, and therefore equally likely that a Mech's primary sensors would be able to directly see them as well, either via optics or some form of non-optical measurement. The 'Field Of View Cone' should be about 25% more transparent than it is now, as it is making the map rather much harder to see than it was before. 'Torso Rotation Info', which wasn't present in the first place, definitely should be part of TAG, NARC, and/or UAV Info Delivery. 'Multiple Mech Indication Sharing' definitely should be part of the 'Command Console', right along with the UAV, and would give the 'Command Console' better chances of being equipped, used, and fielded than it was before. 'Friendly Positioning Info' should always be present on the MiniMap and BattleGrid, and the loss of that is actually causing problems to Team Coordination right now.

BTW, I think switching to an actual image, albeit given a weak 'Photo Effect', of the map, instead of that Blue/White 'GreyScale' is actually a good move. I've probably been secretly desiring it for ages, and didn't know it until now. So you have my compliments on that part, PGI.

I think I will still be looking to see a proper addition of further fixes/changes for the MiniMap/BattleGrid, but at least it is NOT 100% in the basement right now.
  • Command Wheel
    I've tried using this item. You almost had it done right, PGI. Unfortunately, you've set too aggressive a 'flood limiter' on the "Enemy Spotted" item. Somebody who's running Support/Scout, and spotting for their team, has no time to wait for whatever hidden cooldown that there is currently. They NEED to be able to float quickly on several enemies, target, and immediately pick that alert from the wheel, rapidly marking all targets which they can lock in their field of view. They should NEVER be blocked from giving a full picture to their team.

Sadly, PGI, due to how 'turned off' that I have been from using that new feature, specifically because of your hidden 'flood limiter', I'm able to give you no further feedback. Accidentally hitting other buttons because of hidden cooldowns on important signalling messages really pushes players away from using that feature. You're going to need to fix that quickly.
  • Quick Play Leaderboards
    Okay, this one's relatively simple, at least for what info is being made visible. If you enter the name of another Pilot, and then change sort order, it should maintain view of the Pilot Name that you've entered. A command that would clear the search, or change where it's aimed, should be specifically required before it will lose focus on that name in the list. Please fix that relatively soon.
  • Faction Play, CeaseFire Duration
    Excuse me, PGI, but this one bothers me a bit. I think you took too much of a hit to your own shorts trying to be nice to players about this issue. Go ahead and turn it back up to 15 minutes to give your servers time to deal with everything, and properly space Attack Cycles again. It will also help those who actually want to see the results from each cycle have a better chance to do so. I know I've wanted to see it every once in a while, and I have spent time looking after a crazy round. I'll be looking forward to re-extension of the CeaseFire Time.
  • MechWarrior Academy, BattleZone Area
    So, I took a gander in that area after the update. I'm not sure what the time to lock target was before on the NPC Enemies, but it definitely feels a little too fast now. The time needed to lock target should only be as fast as a mediocre 'Tier 3'/'Tier 4' human would manage. Those NPC enemies should NOT be managing to lock target faster than an impressive 'Tier 1' human manages to. I'll look forward to the fix on that one.
...and while the feedback I've given is out-of-order from how the News Posting is laid out, I've delivered it as quickly as it came to the top of my mind. Unfortunately, what feedback I can give for now is not anywhere near as much as I should have been able to deliver. I'll try to remember to provide more useful information as I run across things, so please stay tuned PGI.

At this point, I've just worn myself out on the very topic of anything MechWarrior for now. I'm outta here. -_-

~Mr. D. V. "Trying to test the changes as fast as I can, and yet I know I'm far from finished..." Devnull

[Edited by author over several attempts for massive formatting errors during posting... Yikes!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 23 June 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#574 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:30 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 17 June 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Command Wheel

Press and hold the 'E' key to open the Command Wheel. ...

You might want to update the "Game Manual" page.

#575 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

Iike how people played a single match to get themselves up the leaderboard, and then stopped playing to cement their position. Just like old times, am I right, Founders?

So, how do we filter-out all the sham leaders who played less than 5 matches?

#576 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 29 June 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

So, how do we filter-out all the sham leaders who played less than 5 matches?

Only one way to do it, the old standby of "inactivity timeout"... there's no way they can then always be up in the same place on the LeaderBoard by doing that, and they'll be forced to land up revealing what their true playing ability is in fighting to keep a nice spot. ;)

~D. V. "That fixes it quick... But, if somebody has a better solution, go ahead and post about it!" Devnull

#577 TDN Dreadnaught

• Pip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 13 posts
  • LocationThe U.S.A

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:03 AM

Not really mad or anything, just genuinely puzzled: With Battlemasters disappearing from the battlefield as more powerful and prominent assaults like the Mauler, Kodiak, re-invigorated Atlas, King Crabs and Origins Highlander take the spotlight, why would you nerf them further? Sure you can argue that they are 15 tons lighter and a few KPH faster...but that argument falls flat on its face when you consider that the BLR's best loadouts can easily be replicated on the Warhammer or Marauder. Both mechs are certainly superior geometrically in terms of damage absorption as well..so where does that leave our once vaunted Battle Masters? I own them all and have had them mastered for years. Each variant with hundreds of drops. Sadly there is no place for them. So again...why cripple them further?

#578 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostTDN Dreadnaught, on 18 July 2016 - 05:03 AM, said:

Not really mad or anything, just genuinely puzzled: With Battlemasters disappearing from the battlefield as more powerful and prominent assaults like the Mauler, Kodiak, re-invigorated Atlas, King Crabs and Origins Highlander take the spotlight, why would you nerf them further? Sure you can argue that they are 15 tons lighter and a few KPH faster...but that argument falls flat on its face when you consider that the BLR's best loadouts can easily be replicated on the Warhammer or Marauder. Both mechs are certainly superior geometrically in terms of damage absorption as well..so where does that leave our once vaunted Battle Masters? I own them all and have had them mastered for years. Each variant with hundreds of drops. Sadly there is no place for them. So again...why cripple them further?

wrong patch notes? This was last month's patch.

#579 Kara Ben Nemsi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:17 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users