17 replies to this topic

#1 NUSQUAM

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

Been loving it thus far.

My 1B is a dual ERPPC sniper with ECM, 2MG, and 2SL for scrambling insides towards the end of the match. Had a lot of great games in this one.

My Roc is using 2SRM6s instead of 4s for higher strike and fade. Been great at hit and run thus far.

The 3S is my speed demon with 2LPL, XL350*, MASC, 2SL, 1JJ, and 2MGs for flanking, light hunting, and finishing off wounded mechs.

The PXH-1 I have is using an AC10, 3ML, 5JJ. Mixed reviews on this one thus far.

The agility quirks have saved me more than once. I wasn't sold on the MG quirks at first, but on the ones with multiple ballistic mounts seem to do well.

I'm about to try the 3S in scouting...

Edited by NUSQUAM, 22 June 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#2 Chroma-Matic

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

I am having a bit of trouble with this mech, I tend to like mediums and able to maximize weapons loadout depending on the hardpoints, but this chassis has me stumped. From what I'm encountering, it seems that the PXH doesn't have enough hardpoints or tonnage to fully capitalize on a specific weapon group like say lasers.

On my PXH-1 I am using:
3 ER LRG LASER
1 JJ
XL 300

PXH-1B:
1 LRG PULSE LASER
3 MEDIUM PULSE LASER
ECM
2 JJ
XL 300

PXH-1K:
6 MEDIUM LASER
2 MEDIUM PULSE LASER
XL 300

**All builds feature Endo-Steel and Double Heat Sinks

These are the best that I could come up with, constructive feedback is welcomed.

Edited by President D Jones, 22 June 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#3 NUSQUAM

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

I definitely recommend 2ERPPC on the 1B. With a lot of JJ you can hang on the peripherals of maps, especially mining collective, and snipe. So long as you're actively supporting, rather than watching one far off spot, you'll pull some damage and kills.

Today I'm trying out an XL295, 2LPL, SL, and 2MGs on my 3S. Not pure speed like before, but good sprints and bigger bite.

I haven't touched the KK, 1K, or 2 yet.

#4 Darkhorse045

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

I run mine with a mix of 2 LPLs and 1LL, with an XL 300 and 2 JJs, however my 1B varient has only an XL 280 in it to allow for ECM.

They make wonderful mid-range support mechs and have been performing well for me. Just be careful because most variants have arm mounted weapons only.

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:49 AM

I've found if I build mine more like a big Light, or a bouncy Cicada, I have more luck. I get in trouble when I try to build it like an Enforcer.

Hit & Fade, people: hit & fade.

#6 Mel White

• Pip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

I've only had a few drops thus far, but I gotta say I'm liking this mech. Of course, I'm a bit weird in that I use some off-kilter builds and don't really follow the meta much so my recommendations should be taken with a large grain of salt. Still, so far I've had great luck and have enjoyed myself immensely. As has already been said, hit and fade is the watchword. Remember that, and if your team doesn't collapse, you will do well.

PHX-1 (Avarshina): This one is my gimmick built. XL355 and 8 jump jets with near maximum armor. Only carried the stock 1 large laser and 2 mediums, had to drop the MGs for weight, but it kind of works. With the range boost to the large laser and the cooldown boost to the mediums it actually can serve as both a hit and fade sniper and a decent close-range skirmisher especially with its ability to move and turn very quickly and enough jump jets to get about anywhere and spread damage. Nothing legendary, but I've outrun a few lights in this beast and that always seems to catch them by surprise

PHX-1B (Maryushka): Definitely a sniper, but I really don't like PPCs as I have trouble leading with them and between the weight, heat and minimum range I usually run an ER large laser instead. In this case the ER combined with ECM, 6 jump jets and an XL320 make it decently effective as a sniper and skirmisher. It bit of a troll in truth, I combine the ER laser with 3 small pulse lasers and twin MGs. The fast recycle and low heat means that it actually doesn't do bad a close range either, especially against lights that might hunt you down or at end of match cleanup. You're not going to post amazing damage with this one but it is a lot of fun.

PHX-KK (Kuroi Kiri): I was unsure of this one at first, but after some tinkering I'm very happy I bought it. Upgrading to an XL300 and keeping full jumps is a must, as is making use of both AMS systems, because you can never have too much AMS. I run twin medium pulse lasers on each arm and twin MG for a little extra close-range firepower and to keep the damage rolling when you have to cool off. Even with the light damage it's amazing how machinegun fire freaks people out and I am still a strong believer in crit fishing with MGs. I've had a lot of luck taking out light 'mechs with this one as well as ripping off limbs and side torsos.

PHX-R (Roc): I thought I would like this one from the start and I was right. Like the KK, I dropped the long-range guns for a bigger engine (XL 300 again) and dropped a couple of jump jets for extra weight. Moved the medium pulse lasers to the right arm, added a second AMS and put in more armor and SRM ammo. With the high mounts of the SRMs this is great for peak firing using the jump jets. I considered upgrading the SRMs to 6s, but the tighter spread and lower weight of the 4s makes them more attractive to me though I may tinker with that. When combined with the lasers, and a single MG for trolling, this is also a great light hunter and can hold its own in a skirmish.

#7 NUSQUAM

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:52 PM

With the 1B I've gone to 1 torso ERPPC, 3ML, and 2MG. It's running cooler and can knife fight better. Plus if I get an arm ripped off I still have the ERPPC. One of the reasons I advocate the ERPPC is stealth. It's a lot easier to track the origin of the beam from an ERLL.

#8 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostMel White, on 22 June 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

...as is making use of both AMS systems, because you can never have too much AMS...

...added a second AMS and put in more armor and SRM ammo...

Can I ask what the case is for AMS on such a speedy medium? If it works for you that is reason in itself to take it, I'm not putting your builds down. I just can't justify that tonnage because I feel like I need every last bit when I only have 45 tons to play with.

For me when I get incoming missile fire I duck behind cover or simply break line of sight and run at 100+ kph. To be honest I don't put AMS on my assaults that often, but especially on mediums I need that precious tonnage to go towards weapons or ammo for the DPS of my builds.

#9 NUSQUAM

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

Dual AMS is not usually to protect you, it's to protect the assaults/other mechs near you that you're supporting. Or in scouting against streakcrows.

I'm having trouble getting my 3S into a good spot. I keep flipping between an XL325,1JJ, 2MPL, 1LPL, 2MG and XL295, 1JJ, 2LPL, 1ML, 2MG. The DPS is near identical but one trades speed for a bit more bite midrange. So instead of using the MASC to sprint across the line I'm using it to dash between lances and cover. So far I'm leaning towards the XL295 version. Plus it uses all the quirks.

#10 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostNUSQUAM, on 23 June 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Dual AMS is not usually to protect you, it's to protect the assaults/other mechs near you that you're supporting. Or in scouting against streakcrows.

I'm having trouble getting my 3S into a good spot. I keep flipping between an XL325,1JJ, 2MPL, 1LPL, 2MG and XL295, 1JJ, 2LPL, 1ML, 2MG. The DPS is near identical but one trades speed for a bit more bite midrange. So instead of using the MASC to sprint across the line I'm using it to dash between lances and cover. So far I'm leaning towards the XL295 version. Plus it uses all the quirks.

I get the assault protection angle, it surprises me that anybody in the pug queue would build on that angle though. I would also argue a less mobile, higher tonnage medium would be a better platform for AMS support. I tend to get up in people's faces with my PXHs, but even if you run longer ranged builds you will be sacrificing your one main asset - the speed you require to live with such a tall, huge 45-tonner - by loitering by the assaults.

That's me though, like I said what works for others is good on that measure alone!

#11 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Just bought the ROC today. This is the build I am gonna run. I NEVER trim jjs out. I love to jump :P

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b3c10722db0a8ae

Only ran it once, but our team got crushed. Still walked away with about 270 dmg, and did more damage than over half my team (we got crushed good).

#12 Mel White

• Pip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

View Postgrendeldog, on 23 June 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

Can I ask what the case is for AMS on such a speedy medium? If it works for you that is reason in itself to take it, I'm not putting your builds down. I just can't justify that tonnage because I feel like I need every last bit when I only have 45 tons to play with.

For me when I get incoming missile fire I duck behind cover or simply break line of sight and run at 100+ kph. To be honest I don't put AMS on my assaults that often, but especially on mediums I need that precious tonnage to go towards weapons or ammo for the DPS of my builds.

That's a good question and in general, even on heavies and assaults, I like to use cover to deal with missiles but so few mechs can support more than 1 AMS and I hate to waste the potential of dual post chassis. Partly it might be memories of LRMaggedon, and I am in a unit so building mechs to mutually support each other is a concern (as has been said parking a number of AMS units together just shreds incoming missiles, especially is you use AMS Overload) but for me its about survivalist. The weight cost isn't that high and it provides excellent protection. Cover is good, but not always possible to reach especially if you get into a bad position or caught on an open map out in the open. Since these builds are pure close-range brawlers I rely upon the AMS to help me get close to missiles boats, especially Clan LRM systems since they can still do damage even at point blank range and their firing pattern makes they especially vulnerable to multi-AMS ( I still smile at the memory of racing towards Rattle Dogs and knocking all of their lrms out of the sky as I shred them with pulse lasers and SRMs). I totally understand dropping them to get the extra weight back but for me it works.

On a side note, after some field testing I've made a few build changes.

PXH-1: Max engine and jump jets still, 3 medium lasers and 3 machine guns. With the medium laser cooldown and range modules this has been shockingly effective.

PXH-1B: Dropping the engine to a 300xl, fitted a PPC, 3 small pulse lasers and 2 machine guns with extra heat sinks. Takes a bit of work to use but deadly and surprisingly cool for a PPC build.

PXH-R: Shaved off a bit of MG and SRM ammo to max out the jump jets, much better as a result.

#13 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 23 June 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

I get the assault protection angle, it surprises me that anybody in the pug queue would build on that angle though. I would also argue a less mobile, higher tonnage medium would be a better platform for AMS support. I tend to get up in people's faces with my PXHs, but even if you run longer ranged builds you will be sacrificing your one main asset - the speed you require to live with such a tall, huge 45-tonner - by loitering by the assaults.

That's me though, like I said what works for others is good on that measure alone!

In my ROC, I tend to stick with the group. I use the speed of the Phoenix Hawk to reposition to the other side of the group. I play it as a fast-response counterharasser. I chase away lights and if the coast is clear chase them down and bury them. Last night I took out an oxcide and an Article Cheetah with another light. That's why I bring BAP and SSRMs. To swat the gnats. I think I need to drop the LPLas for an erLLas though. Kept finding O was out of range for some long distance poking on the large maps...

#14 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:18 PM

I run with 3 lplas in my phoenixhawk 3s. xl 225 with masc. took of jumpjet and ahve one double heatsink. Its not best mech in world but its doing better than the 2 lplas with 1 medium laser with xl300 i had on it for a long while. have gotten over 850 damage in both builds. The 3lplas was a lot easier though.

Really want to get a 1000 game in this before i move to other hawks after tournament.

Edited by justin xiang, 27 June 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#15 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

View Postjustin xiang, on 27 June 2016 - 10:18 PM, said:

I run with 3 lplas in my phoenixhawk 3s. xl 225 with masc. took of jumpjet and ahve one double heatsink. Its not best mech in world but its doing better than the 2 lplas with 1 medium laser with xl300 i had on it for a long while. have gotten over 850 damage in both builds. The 3lplas was a lot easier though.

Really want to get a 1000 game in this before i move to other hawks after tournament.

I was running 2 ERLL 1 ML 2 MG 3JJ and an XL 300 in mine.. Did some 850+ Broke 900 in it and look forward to breaking 1000 as well.. people say it sucks but i think it really comes down to how you play it..

Grats to see you broke into top 10 on it like me..

#16 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

View PostPresident D Jones, on 22 June 2016 - 06:55 AM, said:

PXH-1K:
6 MEDIUM LASER
2 MEDIUM PULSE LASER
XL 300

Feeling balsy go down to xl275 and upgrade to 8MPL! As a consequence of heat management, if you lose an arm its not so bad.. Posted Image

I would not recommend this build to players that do not manage heat well.

Edited by White Bear 84, 28 June 2016 - 08:15 PM.

#17 Felix von Buelow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 28 June 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

Feeling balsy go down to xl275 and upgrade to 8MPL! As a consequence of heat management, if you lose an arm its not so bad.. Posted Image

I would not recommend this build to players that do not manage heat well.

Just press "O" and don't let them have the kill on you :P

#18 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:02 AM

View PostGhostNemesys, on 29 June 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

Just press "O" and don't let them have the kill on you Posted Image

Make sure if you want to survive you pick cold maps, I suggest Terra, Tourmaline and why not go Faction play and choose Vitric.. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users