Stop "fixing" Old Maps Make New Ones.

24 replies to this topic

#1 GothicVash

• PipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:51 PM

like the title says. just stop "fixing" the old maps all your doing is ruining things people have grown to like and are accustomed too. forest used to be more brawler friendly and the visibility of it was great at one time now its hard to see. tho the size and spaces not terrible. its the visibility thats a problem. caustic... that one used to be one of my favorite maps was fun to run around the edge of the ring and blast each other now... running is not so much an option more stumble stumble .. rock stuck back up around the rock ect.... the latest is frozen city...... my question there is how is the spirit of the map still in it. it is not remotely the same... the original map is still in it yes but its off in an obscure location and one side of the spawns ends up with no cover trying to get into position. just stop fixing maps work on new ones we would like to see more maps in rotation. update the old ones with the new preety breakable stuff, dropships whatever fine but do not change the layout. if you want to make a big icy city thats more sniper oriented do it. but do it as a new thing.

.... end rant. just had to put that out their it is really dissapointing imo.

#2 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

I actually like a lot of the new maps, but...I wish that we could keep the old ones in the queue too. More maps means more variety, even if some of them would be basically the same theme.

#3 Saskia

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 33 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:12 AM

I suggest you leave us with the original maps and give us the new, amended maps and also create new maps.

#4 Wibbledtodeath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

AMEN. Less fixing what works, more making NEW content.

Really, A frozen city and "frozen city small" in circulation would not hurt as a replacement for frozen city day and frozen city night.

Edited by Wibbledtodeath, 22 June 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#5 MeanMachinE

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:02 AM

Yes, the old frozen city small version should be in the rotation too. The new frozen city looks great and i hope it replaces Polar highlands in the future, but this map has nothing to do with the old frozen city. Please stop fixing stuff that is not broken :)

#6 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

Honestly this map redesign is fairly well done. While I loved frozen city, and this new version needs a few tweaks, this isn't bad at all.

#7 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:47 PM

View PostWibbledtodeath, on 22 June 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

Less fixing what works, more making NEW content.

You mean like minimaps and 'mech models? Posted Image

#8 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:13 AM

fully agree. stop "Fixing"/breaking good maps and go bring some new maps. i loved frozen city. the new optics are a pain in the behind, especially at high speed (160+kph) with max detail.

then there is that crevasse of death near the old uptown start area. unneeded.

the new start position totally sucks.

map feels completely like polar all over. LRM nightmare. i dont even know where i am, new map broke my entire orientation wiring. it all looks the same, zero orientation points in a snow storm. no landmarks in the main conflict area. you direly need to rely on the broken minimap for finding which way is front or back. but that one is broken.

gimme a new map. dont fixbreak good stuff.
Keep old frozen city in rotation. bring back old forest colony, too (the tunel edition).
i know the new players hated the crevasse/tunnel. but for the old ones it was a perfect place for "the last stand ™"

and avoid overuse of eye-candy. it really hurts the brain and hinders gameplay. we are no MMO, we are combat PVP.
it was hard enouh to spot a grey mech against the snow of frozen daylight.
it has become seriously eye-straining now. same thing is true for caustic. it used to be a favourite, seems no one likes it anymore these days. overuse of eye candy. pain to the eyes.

if you absolutely need to eyecandy around, make a new map called luminiscent fungal forrest. but hands of the proven good maps.

#9 Sisel

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:47 AM

we need back old Forest colony and Winter colony, River city, Caustic valley, Frozen city

#10 JinSR

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:48 AM

I disagree with you, there shouldnt be maps that are one sided or boring to play as people skip over them or dread playing them.

If you are okay with PGI never reviewing older maps then its likely new maps that gets released will end up being poorly designed and never fixed.

It is healthy for a game when the devs go back to something and be like "Hmmm well is this map popular? why not? can we make it better?" Whether the next iteration of the map ends up being good or not doesnt matter, its the attitude that the devs have to review older maps and/or anything else thats important.

#11 MeanMachinE

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

View PostJinSR, on 23 June 2016 - 05:48 AM, said:

It is healthy for a game when the devs go back to something and be like "Hmmm well is this map popular? why not? can we make it better?" Whether the next iteration of the map ends up being good or not doesnt matter, its the attitude that the devs have to review older maps and/or anything else thats important.

As they said in the town hall stream, Frozen city was one of the most popular maps already. It really did not need fixing :)

#12 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:48 AM

The old maps - River City, Forest Colony, Frozen City, Caustic, Alpine - were remade because there was a loud community sentiment that the maps were prohibitively small (except Alpine), too wide-open for balanced play, and rather badly optimized. Those were their first seven maps, basically their tryout maps, and pretty much every map since has been better, so I wouldn't imagine they're going to go back and replace those.

I agree, some new maps in CW would be most welcome.

#13 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

White knight aside -- sigh... post more?

1) the old maps were good for 8v8 but too small for 12v12.
2) the old maps were designed for a single drop point and their balance got distorted when PGI switched to 3 drop points
3) the old maps were still favoured and loved for the genius in simplicity, the new maps are just terrible

Suggestion:

1) Call the new versions "2" or Version 2.0 or rename completely
2) Take the old maps and increase or widen parts of the maps to increase the overall size -- in the case of Alpine Peaks, reduce the outer margins by 15% and decrease the height of the peaks by 10-15%
3) Return the 3 drop spawn to 1 drop spawn or put the 3 drops closer together to reduce "nascar"ing
4) Consult competitive players and teams who have since Closed Beta given their earnest feedback and actually know what they're talking about

Good luck!

:)

#14 Panthros

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

There is no reason why they could not have left the maps in the game for private matches. Those old maps were great for 4v4 or 8v8 matches. Oh wait, there actually could be a reason to have premium time, to play your favorite map in private matches! It is amazing PGI goes not think about things like this. Especially for Solaris type matches, those maps would be awesome for those!

Edited by Panthros, 23 June 2016 - 01:22 PM.

#15 Zen555

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

I agree with the sentiment that the old maps should still be an option. Forest and Frozen in particular were examples of maps that 1) had definite charm and 2) weren't fundamentally broken. I'd love to see them come back.

Personally, the only one I don't miss at all is River City; some spawns were so close to the enemy that a steamroll was nearly inevitable.

#16 Platinum Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

Spawn in frozen are were just as close, one sides assaults wold be under fire in seconds.

#17 ACWILD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:09 AM

Anyone else have noticed that when it comes to choose between old and new maps the old ones ALWAYS win?
PGI easily can verify this

#18 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostCenturion72, on 24 June 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

Anyone else have noticed that when it comes to choose between old and new maps the old ones ALWAYS win?

I haven't seen new forest colony or river city in weeks and I'm okay with that. Even alpine seems more popular.

Edited by process, 29 June 2016 - 05:43 AM.

#19 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

And I miss the old Frozen city already.

Why dont we keep them in the rotation? The new Frozen city is junk.

View PostCenturion72, on 24 June 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

Sad but true. Sadder is the fact that the new maps arent just 'new' but they also get more and more messy, harder on system resources, etc. More and more junk gets into them which is a sad thing.

Even more sad is that PGI is not the only game developer that gets turned on by 'revamping' old crap, instead of developing new systems, maps and mechs.

Its a game-developer wide plague if you ask me, i guess its easier.

Edited by M T, 29 June 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#20 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:24 AM

They did.

And then it ends up being the most disliked map (Polar Highlands), despite being very "old-MW-games-like" and, in my opinion, one of the best maps so far.

So, yeah. Every time they do something, people hate on it, so i am not suprised they are running in circles, trying to figure out what DO we really want.

[edit]
yeah, the new frozen city moved it from "awesome brawling map" to gauss/ppc snipertard fest. not that great.

Edited by gloowa, 30 June 2016 - 12:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users