135 replies to this topic

#41 Boaz Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 96 posts
  • LocationApperently , back on the island

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

So glad that when we questioned the changes coming and if they had been tested we were told yes and when we asked if it was done by real people or algorithm I am going to go with when we were told real people that was a lie and if it is not you need new people testing ,BADLY.

#42 PPO Kuro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 300 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

I've played a few hours with the new minimap. And in the current form it's not usable. Good to know they will throw out a hotfix. I really hope that eventually we will indeed have the option to zoom in/out on the minimap (like was said in this post). This was something I used a lot in the old games.

#43 surgetank

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 33 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

Thank God you are fixing the mini -map which was'nt broke until this latest patch , you guys at pgi had lots of time to test this out before release and then telling us its not finished as its only part of the new mini-map which is yet to come , glad you guys at pgi have seen sense...bring on the hot fix as soon as possible

#44 freud2b

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

It's Okay thank you , but that's when today Posted Image ????

We are not the Beta Tester .

Lengthen our Premium and the event would be fair !

#45 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Hey PGI,

Speaking of Minimaps and Command Wheel, it would be infinitely easier to use if you added hotkeys to the command. I try to use it in combat, but its hard with enemies shooting at you. Often times Ill click the wrong button in my haste. Especially with the large number of commands you add as a drop Commander.

For example: Hold Shift to pop it up, and then press E for Enemy spotted. So instead of pressing and mousing over while in combat you just press SHIFT + E.

Edited by Jman5, 22 June 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#46 BruteForceLeader

• Pip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Hi there pgi...since i'm not sure if you really saw the mistake you made, i'll spill it out for you:

The minimap is part of the HUD which is intended to display you the information that is crucial for your actions. Stuff that you have to know that can't wait till you look on the monitor out of the viewing field (e.g. Battlegrid)

When a teammate calls for help or calls out spotted enemies and i'm farther away than 1000m, it does not hurt to lose a few seconds till i looked it up on battlegrid. On the other hand if i'm closer than 1000m it does hurt to lose several seconds to look up in the battlegrid if the enemy is e.g. east or west of the downed dropship, what you have to do because the mini-"map" of the patch hardly show you where said dropship is in frozen city. Other exampel: on river city it is not easy to see the river on the mini-"map" because said major terrain features are to tiny for such a small display.

And to those of you who do think the minimap with the old features is too useful / too easy to use. There are guys out there doing a job called cartography. Their job is to make such useful things. And in real life we are pretty close to it. If you don't believe me: switch on the SatNav in your car and you'll see it!
Remember your car does not have sensors to detect other cars, and most probably these self-driving cars could achieve a minimap like we where used to if someone at silicon valley thought that the users of these cars would like to have that feature.

Looking forward to the hotfix.

#47 045

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

I admit, I had trouble with the new minimap. But I adapted. I imagine those who have less special awareness (which isn' a bad thing, it's just different) are the ones who can't follow suit. Perhaps this minimap doesn't work simply because it makes it too hard for some.

I'm looking forward to the hot fix. I like the idea of info gathering being more important. Should make my Targeting computer 5 Summoner even better (+60% PPC velocity is a lot fun) . I hope these steps will make scouting and light mechs more and more valuable.

#48 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWith the Golden Foxes

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

Thank you.

I did not like the new map as much as the old, but found after awhile I was getting use to it.

I think this will be a nice blend of the best of the old map and the best of the new.

#49 Fiachain

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnity City

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

Can we get an explanation on why you are not showing friendly's orientation on the mini-map? I'm okay with not seeing the enemy's, but I should be able to glance down and get a general idea of the unit's movement direction is rather than sitting and staring at blips until they move in order to make a guess at what the plan is.

#50 I L L

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

Just stop with the InfoTech crap. No one wants it. You people are the only ones who seem to think these changes are positive or even needed. Just STOP.

Edit: Also, congrats on your largest player loss since Steam launch.

Edited by IllMentalState, 22 June 2016 - 11:47 AM.

#51 045

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostBruteForceLeader, on 22 June 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

And to those of you who do think the minimap with the old features is too useful / too easy to use.

What we like about the functionality is the need to gather info on enemy mech direction, etc, not the detail of the map image. That's not in a cartographer' purview, yet haha. We like how we don't right away know exactly where the enemy mech is looking.

But your point on the function of the normal map compared to the battlegrid is a good one. The call for help feature for mechs outside of the 2000m range of the next minimap is when you quickly check your battlegrid. And with automatic orientation, you can quickly decide where you need to go help within that 2000m window. Well spoken point by you.

#52 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

View PostIllMentalState, on 22 June 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

Just stop with the InfoTech crap. No one wants it. You people are the only ones who seem to think these changes are positive or even needed. Just STOP.

It will make scouts useful, so there will be a reason to take light mechs other than the Oxide or Locust.

#53 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:43 AM

Thank you for realizing the weaknesses of the new Mini Map and addressing them.

The game wasn't unplayable just more difficult. I put it 5 hours last night in spite of the broken nature of the mini-map. Calls for refunded PT b/c you chose not to play is a bit cheeky.

#54 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

View PostIronClaws, on 22 June 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

It will make scouts useful, so there will be a reason to take light mechs other than the Oxide or Locust.

...if they increase C-bills rewards for scouting, otherwise - more damage, more money, more mechs and equipment, faster progress.

#55 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:46 AM

Have you consider adding current map to the display monitors inside the mech? That would work.

#56 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

Minimap is awful.

Return it to exactly as it was and make no changes unless they go to PTS first.

People are not too stupid to press "B" (though you seem to think we are).

Edited by Jabilo, 22 June 2016 - 11:48 AM.

#57 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

How soon til the hotfix? I'm missing playing, and loot bags.

#58 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostIronClaws, on 22 June 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

How exactly will scouts be anymore useful? Lights will have to race out ahead of support to gather info, They will be targeted and destroyed immediately by the 12 man team. At least before the patch you could know the direction the enemy was in and avoid going right at them. If you want to make scouting more effective give equal amounts of cbills for scouting and targeting as kill assists and the like. Reward the scouts don't hamstring every other player.

#59 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

Thank goodness! I am sure I would have gotten used to it, but so far when playing I am like "Where am I!!!!" LOL

#60 Mindwyrm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 101 posts
  • LocationIndiana USA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

Changes look good. Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users