Armor Advice

7 replies to this topic

#1 RoToR

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMars Delta Labs

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

Hi, I am an occasional player since I have little time to enjoy online gaming, and besides my old PC can barely handle this game (actually playing at 800 x 600, 10 to 20 fps). I usually die fast since I can't really aim in time and because I an a n00b. However, I have noticed several smurfy's loadouts with little back armor (6 to 10 points). Is that a good config in general, or just good for some type of match? I am playing MW since the very first one (with those old x286 processors... sigh) and never seen such low values.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by RoToR, 23 June 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostRoToR, on 23 June 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Hi, I am an occasional player since I have little time to enjoy online gaming, and besides my old PC can barely handle this game (actually playing at 800 x 600, 10 to 20 fps). I usually die fast since I can't really aim in time and because I an a n00b. However, I have noticed several smurfy's loadouts with little back armor (6 to 10 points). Is that a good config in general, or just good for some type of match? I am playing MW since the very first one (with those old x286 processors... sigh) and never seen such low values.
Thanks in advance.

If you're playing right, you'll still get shot in the front. You mostly get shot in the back when you've made mistakes. So invest in an asset you want to use, not one you want to avoid using. This becomes a virtuous cycle: low back armor makes you play smarter, smarter play makes you need it less, etc.

I don't think I have more than 4 back armor on anything but a brawling assault and those maybe have 8. I go as low as 1 on ranged lights.

Edited by TercieI, 23 June 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#3 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

Everyone has their spin on this, just like most "build" options. Generally speaking the better pilots don't need as much back armor as less experienced ones. That said, "smart" won't save you from that Jenner or Locust out maneuvering you in a brawl. In my experience most pilots use ~4 to 16 points of back armor (generally the bigger or more brawly the mech the more back armor is used). The only real way to know much you really needed is after the battle ;)

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

There's a good experiment: Start with what you think is a reasonable amount of back armor. Every time you die from the front, move a point to the back. If you die from the back, move a point to the front. You'll find the balance. Or so they say. :D

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

The less armor you have in the front, the less time you can spend time having fun shooting stuff.

Basically, when you look at an opponent to fire your weapons, you expose your front profile to the enemy. You want to have more armor in the front- so you can have more fun shooting!

When it comes to back armor, I like to bring most of my numbers down to 4 on my heavies and assault mechs. It helps me win trades against people with more back armor.

If you want to have more fun- load up in front armor! You will find you die front frontal damage way way way more often then rear damage if you are constantly facing your enemies.

#6 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

View PostRoToR, on 23 June 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Thanks in advance.

start with 8 rear and work your way down

#7 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

For your information, my KDK-3 rear armor of its left and right torso is 4 while I just allocate 8 to its center torso.

#8 JTYoshi

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

I am not very experienced but I tend to run 10 back armour(6 for locusts) and I feel that works for me but I do agree that you feel it when you have to trade off against someone running lower back armour, that said I find that my lights tend to live a bit longer because they get shot in the back as I am running off almost as often as the front.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users