Helping New Pilots Choose Their Mechs: An Idea (That May Already Have Been Done)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

This may be a non-issue, but the idea struck me when I purchased a new mech, and only after spending the C-bills did I realize, that I was not all too keen on it. Specifically, the cockpit and overall view out of the windshield.

As not all mechs have the same hardpoints, arms, etc; nor do all mechs offer the same view. Perhaps this is a completely non-issue, but maybe it's something that could be added (if it already isn't in some fashion) to one of the guides for newer players. How a pilot views the battlescape is just as important as the weapons they bring.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

Hmm, You know, I've been in plenty of these new mech threads, an not once have I seen a comprehensive cockpit inventory.

Well, lemme know what your interested in an I can upload a pic.

~Leone.

#3 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

Well, as an example; the Shadowhawk has a rather narrow view that's like looking down a square tube. I didn't know this until after I bought it. Just thought such cockpits and the like might be pointed out visually so people buying mechs with their limited c-bills (newer players) aren't "wasting" their time spent in the c-bill grind.

#4 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

One of me friends has a sweet, three monitor setup and played this game for awhile. Because his side monitors let him see out the sides of the cockpit, he'd also consider cockpit view when getting a new mech. He spectated an Atlas and a Shadow Hawk and decided he never wanted either since their cockpits are only forward facing.
That being said, I've noticed almost all mechs to have come out in the last year or two have had very landscape-oriented cockpits.
Someone did post a few screenshots from the cockpits of various mechs on a three monitor display way back when in an old thread I can try digging up if you want.

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

Yeah its a bit of work, but if you go to google and type: MWO shadowcat cockpit view
You will get images, videos and forum links with one or both showing the shadowcat's cockpit view. You can do this for any mech in the game.

PGI also puts out videos showing the cockpit view (videos) for new mechs just before they drop (usually after the early-bird purchase bonuses have expired). There are threads going back to 2012 about this and a desire to have a collection (most which evolve into discussions of FOV) but as far as I can tell no one has actually put a comprehensive "cockpit view guide" or something like that together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users