105 replies to this topic

#21 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Look, if you get just a little bit selective in forming your groups, and then others notice you win more than they do, they'll be open to emulating your success.

Get your best players dropping together, if they are successful advertise it, and how they did it.

People won't respond to you telling them what to do, but if you dangle it out there... some will look it over and quietly reevaluate their choices.

#22 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

Alternatively, you can buy a mechpack: https://mwomercs.com/linebacker

#23 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

Save CW !! Buy a mechpack !!

#24 Kara Ben Nemsi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

Posted Image

#25 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

All locust Decks for gather and protect (denial) intel 24h would be a good start.

#26 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Save CW !! Remove Clans !!

#27 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Dropped with a PUG Steiner group last night against a large EK/KCom group, who I know well as I've played a pile of games with them :)

Went 28-48... With a good slab of banter thrown in the middle.

I think a pretty good showing for a bunch of PUGs (most not even unit tags) against an effective 8-9man. The key was got the communication going early on, in fact most of the people followed the plan pretty well and got on the comms. Invasion/attacking is by far the hardest to co-ordinate too as there was one guy stopping which wasn't idea (particularly on Grim)

If Steiner's keep that up there is no reason the scoreline can't be closer to 30-36/48 in such situations and even move towards winning games against larger premades.

Amazingly (unlike in CJF), no LRMageddons.

So even a loss, it was good fun and having a solid 28min game while not winning, means it's not a 14min steamroll

#28 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:51 PM

Become Clan Wolf :-)

#29 Ductus Hase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:06 AM

Start caring again - group up before you drop.
+
Scout.
Know how to do so.

#30 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:07 AM

There's a Falcon push ? Did I miss something ?

#31 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:52 AM

I played a few drops against 7-8 man units and had some good fights, but ultimately won because the 4-5 that weren't part of your group decided to reinforce early or push solo from a different gate.

1. Open up your Team Speaks, or designate a central location and GO THERE if your unit cannot build a full 12-man. The unit I was with prior to EK sat on a private TS and didn't coordinate with a lot of other groups, and it showed in CW. You have to get all 12 people working together as a team.

2. Look for the idiot. It's usually the guy on Boreal Vault or Emerald Taiga sitting on the hill between the drop zone and Omega. This guys has a 5xLRM10 Summoner or a ERLL build with no brawl capability. Fight where he can't be a factor (easy on Taiga) or air strike him - he's afraid of chipping his paint, so he'll back up. Send a few lights to knock him out, and maybe knock out his next drop too.

3. Get someone perma-dead. When we drop, the goal of our first brawl wave is NOT necessarily get a kill lead, it's to start hurting the second wave. If we end up 10-12 on the first wave, but we know we hurt targets November, Oscar, Papa, Sierra, Tango and Whisky, we know the perma-deads will start to show up in wave three and we'll have numbers for wave 4. Very important on defense to group up 2-3 mechs before coming out into the fight, and NEVER reinforce on offense unless its a rout.

4. SHARE YOUR ARMOR. I love when I have a damage-padder on the team - it's either "whoo-hoo, top damage" in a win or "I did my part" in a loss. To the damage padder - you didn't do ****. You fed off the work of other players. If the team won, it's because they were good enough to win despite you. You need to share your armor, present more targets so it's harder to focus one down. Being on your first mech when everyone else is on wave 3 is stupid. You'll just get drop-zone farmed at the end, which means you brought 3 mechs for no reason. Stop damage padding, stop score padding, get in the fight and fight with your team.

5. Don't be afraid to die. It's OK to get killed. Just win the trade. If you body block a push, do 500 damage but stall the push, its cool. You did nothing wrong. I see a lot of IS teams start to back away when presented with a strong push. This just separates your mechs and makes it easier to pick them off. I know you geta higher match score for having more mechs intact at the end of the round... I think I'd rather win the match myself...

Edited by Agent1190, 08 July 2016 - 05:58 AM.

#32 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:20 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 07 July 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Save CW !! ANNIHILATE THE SPHEROIDS !!

Fixed that for you, buddy ;)

#33 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

Don't listen to the Falcon !!

It's a trap !!

View PostB0oN, on 08 July 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

Fixed that for you, buddy Posted Image

How about that:

Save CW !! Buy a Mechpack !!

Can we agree on that ?

#34 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Came home from work and logged in. Event over CW was a wasteland.

Did some pug quick drops and then took a break.

Yep working as intended PGI

#35 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Nope, Count .
My already spent 800€ say Ive done plenty already in the spending department .
I´m waiting on a return for that investment .
Knowing PGI though I know fully well, they´ve already blew that money for maps that cost a quarter million and other quite expensive things like the re-scaling of mechs or all those "sensationally balanced" quirkings they did .

I fully know those 800€ will never bear any fruits and instead let the game be as it is .
My wallet is soldered shut, protected by a 12inch steel casing that is housed in an underground bombshelter safe enough to withstand any nuclear bomb the worlds democracies could fire at it .

But if you sooooo love to spend money, just go ahead.

Oh, P.S.:

Do listen to the Falcon, he is bitter, yet wise .
Posted Image

Edited by B0oN, 08 July 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#36 Silas Black

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

420 here - You can't stop the push.

Since I can't throw a severed head on the ground here to emphasize my point... I will just say we are coming for you... all the way to Terra. The only reason you still have a home world is because PGI won't let us take it and leave it behind the lines already.

Porkroll was our first notch in the belt. 12DG is next.

420 out

#37 Silas Black

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

Posted Image

#38 Shino Tenshi

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

Not that my opinion is going to matter much, but...

From what I've noticed, the standard JF tactic is to scout to get Long Tom and then roll over any opposition in invasion... a tactic Kurita was using at the beginning of Phase 3 that's incredibly effective.

As long as JF has Long Tom, it's a lost cause, so the key I think is to win take away their Long Tom, which leads me to my main point...

Play scout mode and focus everything we (the inner sphere) has there before we try to do anything in Invasion. We also need to learn to play the game mode better as well. 4v4 brawl against the clans with equally skilled players will always go in favor of the clans from a percentage win point of view.

There's not much you can do about that when it comes to Protect Intel, but for Gather Intel, we need to start playing the game mode instead of treating it like a 4v4 skirmish mode, which it isn't. I've probably played 200-300 scout mode games... heck probably a lot more than that even, and it took me until two days ago to find someone else who was actively promoting playing the game mode.

Unless you're an effective skilled 4-man premade, the best tactic there is out there is to go light and fast, split up, and gather intel. If you see the enemy, run the other direction. If the enemy sees you, run whatever direction is away from your teammates and do your best to tie up the clanners for as long as possible. When you've gathered the intel for the DS, if there's still a sizable number of the team standing, go to the extraction zone and use the DS guns to engage the enemy to even out the fight. If there's only one or two of you left, hide near the EZ, powered down, and do a last second rush.

I can't count the number of times I've won a gather intel mode using this technique, often when I'm the only one following it. The last scout game I played I was the only one looking for intel, got 7 of 9 of the intel while the others all went hunting the enemy. Spent the next 5 minutes powered down in a corner waiting for the DS to show up. The EZ was on the other side of the map, but I ran and just barely made it.

The other three probably thought throughout the entire match that I was being a complete noob running off, abandoning the team, and losing the game for us. Instead we won with 9 intel towards our side. If the others had have gone light and looked for intel instead of medium and hunting the enemy, we probably could have 13-14 intel instead and maybe even more than just me making it out alive.

Anyway, got a bit too much on a rant there, but I hope everyone gets the point. Play the game mode, win at Scout, stop the Long Tom, have a remote chance at winning Invasion and stopping JF.

As an alternative, get really coordinated, go light and fast in Invasion, and use the Long Tom against the enemy by charging a few into the middle of them right before the LT's about to go off. Hard to coordinate, but can be great fun when it works :)

#39 Terrastras Rex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTerrawna

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Lol. =D

Welcome to Faction Play, DONT BRING LRMs! Push with your team! Drop heaviest Mechs first! Max your dropdeck weight, IS has stronger mechs, USE THEM! Call your targets and focus fire!

To win scouting matches, Use AC/10s and aim for Streakcrow legs!

#40 Sazabi Steppenwulfe

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOrestes Principal

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostTerrastras Rex, on 12 July 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Lol. =D

Welcome to Faction Play, DONT BRING LRMs! Push with your team! Drop heaviest Mechs first! Max your dropdeck weight, IS has stronger mechs, USE THEM! Call your targets and focus fire!

To win scouting matches, Use AC/10s and aim for Streakcrow legs!

i'd say LB-10Xs. aiming is hard to at those speeds and some Light/Med mechs can turn/dodge fast enough to throw your aim off.

and large pulses win fights.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users