105 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hey everyone,

So I'm a member of HHoD's comp team in MWOWC. As you all know HHoD switched to Steiner to help out against the clans crusade through your space. Now my group normally does stuff other than CW, but lately we are trying to help more.

So what does Steiners Units need?
I've played with a few units like 12th Donegal and another guy in my group has played with Pork Roll. Steiner does good under coordinating even with skittles. That being said I'm wondering if other units would be okey with extending Team speak info to PUGs?

Are there any other ideas you have to get Steiner back on its feet?
- could help people set up drop decks?
- coordination in drops or coordinate attacks among units?
Guys have any ideas?

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

#1: Put together teams of like minded individuals. If you want to win, make sure your whole team wants to win. having some guys be goofy with LRM boats or leveling mechs ain't gonna cut it.

#2: Don't be afraid to be selective. Its harsh, but asking underperformers to step down to make room for reliable pilots improves your group and incentivizes people to play their best.

#3. Agree on a drop commander BEFORE YOU EVEN QUEUE. Last thing you need is confusion out of the gate.

#4. Everyone needs to listen to the DC. Period. Even if you don't agree, even if its suicide, you stand a better chance united than separated. People that disrupt the game over this should refer to #2.

#5. Coordinate your decks. Maximize loadouts for the map/mode. Try to bring similar loadouts so that you can engage the enemy together.

#6. Do your howmwork. Run around the maps on your own in testing grounds. Test loadouts for different maps. While I don't cry "Meta! Always!" its is a good jumping off point to trying to get the most out of the mechs you have for how you play.

#7. Warhammers. Get them while they're hot... or cool, depending on the build...

#3 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

Zerg Griffin ecm boats in scouting to stop the long tom coming up

#4 Chipmunkaroo

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

You could always abandon Steiner to their fate and bulk up the FRR forces.

#5 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

pay the mercs to switch sides. You are Lyrans after all.. Use those cbills.

Edited by shameless, 05 July 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Unfortunately HHoD does mainly Davion, and a bunch of us talked them in doing a stint in Steiner to help. Plus why abandon them? Say majority of Steiner left and went FRR, then JF would turn towards you and start burning through. Maybe it is just a lost cause.

#7 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Recruit more organised resistance. Right now organised Jade Falcon 12 mans outnumber Steiner ones by a margin of at least 3 to one.

#8 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

Win in scouting.

#9 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

Just Ignore them. Get in group, play some matches, have fun and let the Falcons do whatever it is they do.

#10 -Waffler

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

It's because of pugs. I won't get into the whole Clan/IS mechs OP argument, but it's just easier for pugs to play CW as clanners because their mechs are built for poking. IS pilots have to learn a whole different play style for CW.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

The snarkiest comment I can think of is literally - wait til the event is over - once it's over, the FW burnout is going to be real. So... the effort spent here is kinda wasted.

If you really want to get serious on this matter... there's 3 quick tips:

1) Stop using LRMs, even if you get 1k damage games - whenever the majority of the team is taking it - it leaves all your direct fire/brawlers to be cannon fodder, and you're not always guaranteed to get those locks. Just stop using LRMs, as much as you "believe" it helps you (it won't against competent opposition).

2) Use good builds - they don't have to be meta, but it can't be like the Urbie's stock loadout. You are helping noone by trying to run a "jack of all trades" build and inevitably failing at them all.

3) Moving and being close together (it doesn't mean create a dense deathball though - it's food for the Long Tom). Even if you are some long range build (especially if you're running LRMs), you simply CANNOT stay back and sit there. The further back you are to the action, the less helpful you actually are... even if you run Gauss, ERLL, etc. Supporting teammates is finding the proper firing lanes so that EVERYONE is able to shoot into it (best designed focus fire) and EVERYONE benefits.

These are not the most complicated basics, but people fail to do these very things.

Otherwise, you will end up being cannon fodder for the opfor... assuming they aren't more derpy/uncoordinated than you.

#12 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

We know how CW works, thx vry much

#13 Atkinsur

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

I hardly ever post to the MWO forums....

When it comes to fighting clanners you've got to get right up in their faces. If you bring LRMs, mentioned previously, or try to exchange long range with them you'll be whittled away and then blown apart when they attack. You have two options, take the fight to them or make them bored enough to come to you.

Their mech's inability to manage heat makes them overheat as they fire weapons more rapidly. As mentioned in previous posts, you work together and focus fire to shut down mechs which equal dead clanners. They don't know which of you to shoot at and with practice this type of gameplay becomes second nature.

The same works with scouting, its just a more rapid type of gameplay. Prior communication and during, yes its called VOIP, is very useful if not on Teamspeak. You must call and focus a target quickly to kill it, period.

That's my two cents I suppose for now...

#14 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

Jade Falcon outnumbers Steiner 3 to 1 and has 90% of the good merc groups. Without the mercs switching sides, JF will continue to roll. We can just fight the good fight.

#15 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

To be fair, there is a reason why CJF is very popular with mercs.

There is no other faction, which encourages quick and easy mixed groups as much as CJF. If you are MS and are able to bring a 12-man every time of the day, this might not be important, but a smaller unit will really benefit a lot.

In CJF, you can log on and get invites to FP groups straight away. In all other factions, you are shunned like a rotten potatoe.

#16 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 06 July 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

In CJF, you can log on and get invites to FP groups straight away. In all other factions, you are shunned like a rotten potatoe.

Yeah sure, great bunch of people the Jade Falcons I'm meeting here. All other factions are a bunch of unfriendly ba****ds that never communicate, form groups or play with each other. Total noobs the lot of them.

#17 Count Zero74

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Damn, wrong account again

#18 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 07 July 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

Yeah sure, great bunch of people the Jade Falcons I'm meeting here. All other factions are a bunch of unfriendly ba****ds that never communicate, form groups or play with each other. Total noobs the lot of them.

Bads? No, not really. But more uptight and close-lipped for sure. Especially at the EU-afternoon timeframe, which is the relevant for me.

#19 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

Don't assume CJF has "all the gud mercz", they don't...

#20 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

I like the idea of this post. So i stop this jf ... Steiner... stuff.
And this should not be the next "bring no lrms to cw thread".
The topic is how to push back the clanners (JF).

And this is a question of get the people grouped up. Currently the premade rate is like 3->1 in favor of jf(suggestion).
Some of the best units are currently there doesn't help much to solve this problem.
But,i dont want this to be the next blame ms/mercs/big units/premades in general thread.

So what can be achived (and what cannot)? We will not stop people to bring lrm. We will not stop people not to play in favor of the team in general (don't listen commands, don't share armor...). I think that is fact.

Some good points are already mentioned. I will sort it in two parts (what can each pug do and what can each unit do).

First of all I love the Steiner Allstars. The involved units and pugs sharingplayers and drop commanders realy improves the amount of premades on the way. I also like the support of Operation Galahad (more organised players for steiner).I have not meet u in a group, but i think that is a time zone effect.

So we have to expend this two factors. I disagree with moving target in one point (#2 be selective). In fact i think the opposite is true. U don't need a bad *** group to support your faction. U need this to beat KCOM and such units, but most of the time u simply need a group (and then the rest what moving target says is true. That is enough to win about 70%.

What can each pug do:
1.Join LFG
2. Ask in faction chat if a premade has a blanc spot.
3. Join steiner TS look for existing groups or get in the looking for group channel.
4. Jump in the active units ts (diffrent for each time zone); EU (TJ,DG,BT, CG...); US (SROT; LLOD, Pork Roll..) Most units love to pig up pugs)

What can each unit do:
1. Share players over Steiner Allstars (So look on their Ts/watch your friend list and so on...
This is going quite good so i come to point 2.
2. Activate the pugs:
Tell in Faction Chat that u need x people and pig them up.
Look LFG and take them.
Take a look for steiner TS.

Then i have a new idea. How do a group build up? Normal there is a small core (DL and some guys from his friend list). Some other guys jump n the train (some invites and... Man.

Like u see someone has to do the first step. Sometimes i see that groups are full, but new pilots log off. This pilots should in fact beginn the next group. Since humans tend to group up around people i think the best place to start is with the DL.

From this idea i like to start Operation"Drop Leader calling for help!" When ever there are to many DL in a group or the group is full and new pilots just (go for quick play, log of,,,) build a new group beginning with the DL and perhaps the small core.

Then write in chat "premade building up looking for pilots"; "Drop leader calling for help: need a bunch of pilots to beat up JF" or what else. (Do all the stuff mentioned in activatepugs)

I think that is profit for all. More groups on the way-> more wins for Steiner
Perhaps some unit get new members -> better community-> profit for Steiner
Some pugs will finally start winning matches-> they have fun-> they come back to FW-> they will try to get a group next time (most people like to win and not getting their as beat up 10 times in a row.

OK wall of text. Feel free to comment Posted Image

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 07 July 2016 - 10:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users