42 replies to this topic

#21 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

View PostThatNumbGuy, on 05 July 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

Neg. Their purchase price will be right around 16 million each, with the total for all five c-bill variants being very close to 79.5 million.

So mastering it would be around 48 million to obtain the chassis alone. However, if you count any extra engine and weapon purchases, that would likely put you around 60 million or more depending on what you have.

A DWF is already about 18mill, the KDK comes with Endo and XL400. That's about a 2.13 mill increase right there. There's no way the KDK is going to be 16mill

#22 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:16 PM

One of the worst purchases I made mech-wise. Save your C-bills, guys.

#23 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 05 July 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

Hmmm...all this talk about a Mech Bay...

WE ALSO NEED A MODULE SALE.....PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN.....75% OFF MODULE SALE WILL MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY

Because modules don't bring money in for PGI

#24 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 05 July 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

A DWF is already about 18mill, the KDK comes with Endo and XL400. That's about a 2.13 mill increase right there. There's no way the KDK is going to be 16mill

When you buy a mech that comes stock with DHS, Endo and Ferro you don't pay for the upgrades. That's why a Stormcrow is actually cheaper than a Shadowhawk with the same engine and upgrades.

#25 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:35 PM

View PostAylek, on 05 July 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

+1

Don't spend any cbills on this thing...

Better buy a module instead :P

#26 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:02 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 05 July 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

Subtract the DWF's Omnipods and ignore the Endo because it's not included in PGI's store pricing. That should get you close to 16 million.

#27 DivBy0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:30 AM

The Archer is not really a good mech. Some say he is worse. And he was nerfed by the reascale too.
The Tempest ARC-T and the ARC-5W are OK. The other are subprime (and after the rescale nerf maybe junk).
In fact the Warhammer 7S is a much better Archer than the ARC-2R :-(

If you compare the release of the Archer, the Rifleman (better but not great) and the fragile Glascannon named Phoenix Hawk (I like him, but he loves to die early and without both arms) with the release of the very good and in one case OP Kodiac... I think this releases were some hidden nerfs to IS :-) No one MUST have these mechs. But you can have fun.

Edited by von Haudegen, 06 July 2016 - 01:50 AM.

#28 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:30 AM

View PostThatNumbGuy, on 05 July 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

So mastering it would be around 48 million to obtain the chassis alone. However, if you count any extra engine and weapon purchases, that would likely put you around 60 million or more depending on what you have.

Except, no one forces you to keep the variants you just bought for mastering.

#29 MoeX

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:44 AM

I disagree, I think the Archer with its LRM-Focus is a good mech if played right. That means playing it as LRM Fire Support in second line to directly aid your mates in combat or to shy away enemy mechs into hiding. Clever positioning, choosing priority targets and also at least semi-intelligent team mates are required for this. It is more of a tactical opposed to an in-yo-face-mech.

It is NOT supposed to brawl, as it is too squishy for that (though it can be fun to just annihilate an enemy mech with 9 SRM6). As soon as you get focused down you're dead (same goes for the rifleman).

#30 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:59 AM

@MoeX - you are right of course, but with LRMs being pretty bad in MWO and, certainly in PUG games, playing the ranged fire support role can be pretty unrewarding - "guys, can someone get this locust off me please"....silence - this makes the Archer, whilst it's good at what it does, pretty subpar, same as the Rifleman. Yeah, of course you get those occasional good games where everything works, people hold locks, you don't get light-rushed and you can build up damage but, honestly, I mean HONESTLY, how often does that happen?

OK, the 5W is fun - 9 missile slots? cool, and it works pretty well with a mix of LRMs and SRMs; the Tempest has ECM (+30% C-bill bonus) but still isn't a great mech and costs real money so probably shouldn't be talked about here. If you want the 5W by all means buy the other 2 but sell them as soon as you get the basic skills, they aren't worth keeping imho.

Edited by Jimmy DiGriz, 06 July 2016 - 05:59 AM.

#31 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:08 AM

Man,

All this talk about mastering a mech and the cost of buying mech with C-bills, then also grinding away....grrrrrrr.
Treat this game as a Hobby and not WORK.

If you spent $20 and bought the Kodiak Pack then it would be good, plus being smart by purchasing early you get premium time and all the other early adopter reward goodies.

How many hours will it take you to make enough C-bills to buy 3 Kodiak Variant than versus out right buying the dang mech pack with real money you earned at regular work?
For example, if you spend 20 hours playing to have enough C-bills to buy all three kodiak variants, and you make 10 dollars an hour at regular work...wouldn't you rather just buy the pack and enjoy playing, instead of doing the grind?
Another example...if you go to a bar with friends, how much money do you throw in Alcohol in 1 night versus buying the mech pack and having the desired mechs to play with on a daily basis?

You may argue that this is a FREE TO PLAY GAME and not spending real money is the ultimate goal ...LMAO...
BUT NOTHING IS FREE...
TIME IS THE ULTIMATE PRICE YOU PAY...AND EVERYONE PAYS WITH TIME
Treating the game like work and grinding away is really the heavy price you pay.

I use to grind away at these Tournaments from PGI and it started to feel like work, spent hours playing way too much, just for a WarHorn prize that doesn't work half the time...grrrrrrrrr.......grrrrrrrr.
Life issues made me realize I have to treat this game as a Hobby and not as Work. I'm less Cranky now...well maybe not.

p.s. I am not saying buy mech packs ALL THE TIME...consider the good ones that match your play style.

Edited by Cranky Puppy, 06 July 2016 - 06:12 AM.

#32 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

View PostKurbeks, on 05 July 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

Because modules don't bring money in for PGI

Think long term. If it makes players happy and they tell their friends to play and encourages growth of player base that is a good thing. A larger player base increases sales and profit for the company, that is where they can make money.

I am sure when this game was opened up to STEAM PLAYERS, PGI made some profit when a new influx of players bought Steam Mech Packs and other real money purchase orders.

#33 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 06 July 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

Think long term. If it makes players happy and they tell their friends to play and encourages growth of player base that is a good thing. A larger player base increases sales and profit for the company, that is where they can make money.

I am sure when this game was opened up to STEAM PLAYERS, PGI made some profit when a new influx of players bought Steam Mech Packs and other real money purchase orders.

The Steam Packs are grossly overpriced and they don't come with triplicate Mechs, so you cannot master them. The Steam Packs are deceptive, overpriced, and probably caused more harm than goodwill.

#34 MoeX

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 06 July 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

@MoeX - you are right of course, but with LRMs being pretty bad in MWO and, certainly in PUG games, playing the ranged fire support role can be pretty unrewarding - "guys, can someone get this locust off me please"....silence - this makes the Archer, whilst it's good at what it does, pretty subpar, same as the Rifleman. Yeah, of course you get those occasional good games where everything works, people hold locks, you don't get light-rushed and you can build up damage but, honestly, I mean HONESTLY, how often does that happen?

OK, the 5W is fun - 9 missile slots? cool, and it works pretty well with a mix of LRMs and SRMs; the Tempest has ECM (+30% C-bill bonus) but still isn't a great mech and costs real money so probably shouldn't be talked about here. If you want the 5W by all means buy the other 2 but sell them as soon as you get the basic skills, they aren't worth keeping imho.

OK I give you this, in PUG matches it can be underwhelming because it is heavily team-dependent. PUG-matches seem to be all about nascaring, brawling and sniping these days (better than the pop-tart-days, but still).Because of its squishiness you have to rely on you mates to get you targets, you can't really make good trades since everyone and his mum will target your Sidetorsos. Still, in the games I've done so far I'm averaging 500-600 damage. The builds I use are pretty standard.

I don't think LRMs are necessarily bad, a stream of LRM5 can be really annoying. You just have to use them the right way, i.e. as a support weapon to blind enemies and soften them, while your fatties take the hits. It is easier of course, if people focus and call out targets.

#35 Jeronimo25

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostAylek, on 05 July 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

Soo, its better to wait for Kodiak? I was thinking about buying this thing and making it into a lrm boat (to piss people off) or srm boat (also to piss people off).

#36 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:24 AM

Nice SRM Mech !!

These 6 x SRM6 can hurt...

#37 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

I think people missed the whole point on why steam packs were tempting. I already mastered those mechs but I wanted the extra c-bill earnings. Example, Timber -C is better than Prime but ah well. It still wasnt enough to convince me.

Archer has a role, even though I hate lrm mechs. It's a very important mech, and always feels very sturdy when trying to kill it.

Edited by The Unstoppable Puggernaut, 06 July 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#38 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 06 July 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

Except, no one forces you to keep the variants you just bought for mastering.

Not my business at that point.

#39 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

Fix streaks Posted Image dont fire same point!! fire more 1 arm 2º only fire 1???

#40 BMKA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 105 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChile

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:12 AM

Oh my Damm....
Posted Image

Just Saying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic