138 replies to this topic

#21 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

Oh geez, that is pretty! I don't drive clan or heavy mechs much and it looks tempting.

#22 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

This one is a thing of beauty.

If I were spending any money on Clan stuff, I'd be seriously tempted.

#23 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

If you dont buy the bonuses or the Hero, you have an inferior loadout choice.

So. What?

Pay more for not terrible loadout choice?

#24 Talos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 130 posts
  • LocationCesspool that is post 2016 Washington DC

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:01 PM

It looks really nice! The art team really did a good job, especially since it's a fugly 'mech in the old TROs.

I really hope its not as tall as its made to look in the pictures... That profile would kill it even if it moved as fast as a 'Crow.
Still, it looks like a fun SRM/Laser boat.

#25 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 07 July 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Love the looks of this mech and it is one of my favorites. However, until either PGI starts actually doing something more positive with this game, or until another company takes over I refuse to spend my hard earned cash on your substandard effort at a game any longer.

I have taken my stance with PGI and as hard as it is to pass up the new shiny mech pack of the month, I will not cave in. I am done PGI, no more money from me.

And as always, this does not apply to the art or modeling guys. You do awesome work on the mechs!

Pretty much all of this from me as well.

I'll be quite clear, I have spent more than a little bit of money on this game. To date, I have purchased the following:
- Phoenix Pack - Overlord
- Banshee Pack (maximum level)
- Clans: Masakari Collection
- Clan Wave II: Man-O-War Collection
- Resistance - Wrath Pack
- Clan Wave III - Gladiator Pack
- Resistance II - Mauler Pack
- Clan Origins IIc - Highlander IIc Pack
- Individual Mech Packs (Urganmech through Cyclops) - Collector's and Hero
- Bits of MC every now and then

While I have not been entirely happy with the final results of what I purchased, I can't complain because I knew what I was getting into before I handed over my hard-earned dollars. I continued my support because I had hope and faith that there would be awesome coming down the road...

...not only has this awesome not manifested itself, but I have found that I am bored of 12v12 Team Deathmatch and due to a number of factors, largely locked out of Faction Warfare (which, despite being a solo, I enjoyed).

Now I find myself with far more mechs than I know what to do with and playing less and less MWO over time, which causes me to ask myself 'why bother?'

So as it stands, until there are some significant overhauls to the underlying game (such as QP no longer being 12v12 TDM, PvE or something else), I have my doubts that I'm going to be throwing down real money again any time soon.

#26 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostGreyNovember, on 07 July 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

If you dont buy the bonuses or the Hero, you have an inferior loadout choice.

So. What?

Pay more for not terrible loadout choice?

It's a OMNI, I doubt anyone will keep the stock loadouts.

#27 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

I'm not so much a fan of this concept art... it's entirely too tall. It's supposed to have this squat profile... not look to be as tall as a Dire Wolf.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Linebacker
Posted Image

#28 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

Will wait for this on C-Bills. Posted Image

But I agree; it's supposed to be hunched over.

"The name for the OmniMech comes from the Linebacker's hunched appearance, which resembles players of ancient American Football."

Edited by Commander A9, 07 July 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#29 Desenova

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 07 July 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'm not so much a fan of this concept art... it's entirely too tall. It's supposed to have this squat profile... not look to be as tall as a Dire Wolf.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Linebacker
Posted Image

It is WAY too tall. Part of its advantage was its squat stature, making it harder to hit for other, bigger mechs. From what I've gathered, it was made taller so that PGI could make it Torso Twist - WHICH IS COMPLETELY AGAINST THE DESIGN OF THE MECH! Why add it just to mess with its philosophy? And the more digging I do, the angrier I get - The Nova didn't have torso twist either! And don't even get me started on "It's for fair gameplay." It's a strategy game - learn some strategy. On top of that, this is the first concept art by PGI that I just do not like in ANY form. They have wonderful artists and renderers, but this one is just boring. And this payment method is getting really old as well. Why not have the Heroes, Special Editions, and Limited Editions with a ton of worthy bonuses cost real money and have the standard variants go for C-Bills? What's so wrong about that? You won't lose money if you make the Special stuff actually special. *End Rant* #NoTwist

#30 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

YES!!!!

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 07 July 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

So as it stands, until there are some significant overhauls to the underlying game (such as QP no longer being 12v12 TDM, PvE or something else), I have my doubts that I'm going to be throwing down real money again any time soon.

I've blown a ton of cash myself, most of which was wasted on subpar mechs that I don't use. BUT IT'S NEW!!

I'm an addict :(

You're right, though. A lot of fixin' needs to take place, but I think* they are working toward it.

*think in this case is equivalent to blind hope.

Edited by Podex, 07 July 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#31 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostPodex, on 07 July 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

I've blown a ton of cash myself, most of which was wasted on subpar mechs that I don't use. BUT IT'S NEW!! I'm an addict :( You're right, though. A lot of fixin' needs to take place, but I think* they are working toward it.

I'm not going to lie... I was very much in the same boat as you are for a fairly long time as well. What changed things for me was when the Night Gyr was announced.

First, I noted that the Night Gyr was yet another Heavy mech...a class that already suffers from drastic overpopulation that had only gotten worse since the Robotech Mechs were released (the Timberwolf made it bad... the Robotech Mechs made it worse). This meant that when it came out, I likely wouldn't play much of it because of the already oversaturated queue. I then realized that at this point I really wasn't playing as much or often...really only for events. Contrast this with before where I would play few times per week.

...this caused me to realize that I would be putting down $55 (Collector's + Hero) for a mech I wouldn't use very often... I mean, why use a Night Gyr when I have a Timberwolf? Same tonnage, sufficient firepower and durability and high versatility.

This in turn caused me to ask myself, why should I even bother...I then did a self-analysis and an analysis on MWO... and realized that since i am no longer really enjoying the game as I have been, I shouldn't be supporting it in the same manner I have been either.

#32 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

First new mech I have to say they've got wrong. It's simply the wrong shape. Whilst the Cauldron Born lost it's asymmetric feel that I loved from MW4, the mech in MWO still looks great.

Sorry team but nah, you didn't hit the target with this. Looks good, but it's no Linebacker.

#33 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

JNR 2 head more Timber arms ????

#34 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 07 July 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

I'm not going to lie... I was very much in the same boat as you are for a fairly long time as well. What changed things for me was when the Night Gyr was announced.

First, I noted that the Night Gyr was yet another Heavy mech...a class that already suffers from drastic overpopulation that had only gotten worse since the Robotech Mechs were released (the Timberwolf made it bad... the Robotech Mechs made it worse). This meant that when it came out, I likely wouldn't play much of it because of the already oversaturated queue. I then realized that at this point I really wasn't playing as much or often...really only for events. Contrast this with before where I would play few times per week.

...this caused me to realize that I would be putting down $55 (Collector's + Hero) for a mech I wouldn't use very often... I mean, why use a Night Gyr when I have a Timberwolf? Same tonnage, sufficient firepower and durability and high versatility.

This in turn caused me to ask myself, why should I even bother...I then did a self-analysis and an analysis on MWO... and realized that since i am no longer really enjoying the game as I have been, I shouldn't be supporting it in the same manner I have been either.

I'm an IS guy, through and through. I've bought the last two standard clan mech packs for the Cbills and stuff. I know I'm not going to use the mech, but I spend more on even lamer stuff every month, so why not actually spend money on something that's fairly enjoyable? $20 for a month's worth of fun? Count me in. Too bad it took this long to figure that one out.

It'll rot in the mechbay, but I feel like it's still a good deal.

#35 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

I see the linebacker position in the concept, although not in the posted original art. The "helmet" juts forward, there are substantial "shoulder pads".

From a volume standpoint, may be a little big. It looks like it's drawn Marauder-sized (75t), but I'll have to see one in context.

#36 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

When I see the latest mechs I have a thought. What the developers do not want to make money. Linebacker, Night Gyr, I do not buy these bottles, even for c-bills. Not to mention the fact to spend the bucks. Meanwhile, clans have 6 heavy . In the sphere of 14. Clans have 5 assaults, in the sphere 12. It looks terrible. Because of the good mechs only 3-4. Now you have decided to fill the void that counterfeit. 17 tons for weapon its a sh*t.

Edited by Nimnul, 07 July 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#37 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostGannycus, on 07 July 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

If I'm not wrong there are 16.5 tons of free pod space stripping legs armor a bit, can someone confirm?

Oh and.. mechbay sale please!

Yes, that is correct 16.5 exactly. You can strip armor for me. This was one of my favorite mechs, but I have to wonder if a top speed of 104.5kph is really worth sacrificing the extra 12 tons of pod space I get on my EBJ. I think 87KPH is fast enough for me.

Sadly this was one of my favorite mechs on the Clan side of things, but I won't be buying it. Maybe i'll get it with CBills the way I did the HBK-IIC, which was a great mech for me, or maybe I wont.

I have kind of lost the taste for getting screwed buying mechs that end up sucking. This will probably be one, with most weapons low (torso weapons look okay), as the rest comes down to quirks. With not much pod space, low mounting weapons, and a dependence on PGI having good quirks and hit boxes for it, I will pass till I know how well it plays.

Also I understand that these are omni mechs, but are they ever going to allow you to put DHS in the engines when there is room. A few chassis have spare room in the engine that is locked down, which blows.

Edited by PeeWrinkle, 07 July 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#38 somedood

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostDesenova, on 07 July 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

It is WAY too tall. Part of its advantage was its squat stature, making it harder to hit for other, bigger mechs. From what I've gathered, it was made taller so that PGI could make it Torso Twist - WHICH IS COMPLETELY AGAINST THE DESIGN OF THE MECH! Why add it just to mess with its philosophy? And the more digging I do, the angrier I get - The Nova didn't have torso twist either! And don't even get me started on "It's for fair gameplay." It's a strategy game - learn some strategy. On top of that, this is the first concept art by PGI that I just do not like in ANY form. They have wonderful artists and renderers, but this one is just boring. And this payment method is getting really old as well. Why not have the Heroes, Special Editions, and Limited Editions with a ton of worthy bonuses cost real money and have the standard variants go for C-Bills? What's so wrong about that? You won't lose money if you make the Special stuff actually special. *End Rant* #NoTwist

Well, if they removed the torso twist it would probably be just you buying the mech and nobody else. I can tell you I'd love to play against this thing or a nova if it had no torso twist. Easiest kill ever.

#39 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

View Postsomedood, on 07 July 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Well, if they removed the torso twist it would probably be just you buying the mech and nobody else. I can tell you I'd love to play against this thing or a nova if it had no torso twist. Easiest kill ever.

Yeah, the lack of torso twist would make them pretty worthless. (On top of that, I also LIKE this new taller look.)

#40 Piero Cruz

Rookie

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

It does look a bit tall isn't it? I think the mech should look a bit squatter imo, hence the name.

From Sarna (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Linebacker)

The name for the OmniMech comes from the Linebacker's hunched appearance, which resembles players of ancient American Football.

Edited by Piero Cruz, 07 July 2016 - 03:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users