138 replies to this topic

#41 Outlaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 321 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Hope and Glory

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Huh, a post-Tukayyid mech... wonder if this means that TRO 3055 mechs will start trickling in... and if they plan on introducing a 'truce line' that the Clans cant advance past.

#42 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Hey guys, just did some math.

People are concerned because this will be like a crow for speed, but have less guns and be a bigger target, right?
This looks true right up front, BUT forgets 2 other factors.

1. The Linebacker WILL have more armor at max than the Crow, at least 1 ton worth, plus sturdier internals. So, subtract 1 ton from the Crow's 23 tons of pod space (22 left vs the Linebacker's 16.5)

2. The Linebacker has 4 fixed Engine Internal Heat Sinks (for 14 base when stripped) vs 0 for the Crow (10 base when stripped). I would expect (don't have them myself) most Crow builds will need at least 4 more Heat Sinks. Lets say for now this is common, and subtract 4 more tons from the Crows available space. This leaves 18 tons for the Crow vs the Linebacker's 16.5, a mere 1.5 ton difference! Also, these 4 Heat Sinks don't take up any crit space on the Linebacker; which is admittedly less of an issue for clan mechs than IS, but could still be a consideration on SRM and laser builds.

This leaves the Stormcrow with a 1.5 ton advantage in potential firepower vs the additional Durability of the Linebacker. Taking this a step further, if the Linebacker removed armor until it equaled that of the Crow, their pod space would be about even. That would leave a larger mech, but with a touch more structure. Depending on hardpoint positioning, such as the potential for high energy mounts on the torso, the Linebacker actually sounds like it stacks up well vs the Crow!

#43 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 677 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

I'm counting 17.5 tons of pod space....unless you're subtracting a ton for armor. But for those who think it'll suck...Redline...6 SRM-6 or 6 SRM-4 w/Artemis. Problem solved. I'm not one for meta but who the hell is gonna use 2 PPC's on it?

#44 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

Proportionately taller than the old GBL model, but much less wide.

And given the way volumes are being calculated as present, I'm guessing it's just deep enough in the chest that it won't be hugely tall overall. That's probably going to benefit the frontal hitboxes overall. I think the old model would have suffered barndoor-Awesome syndrome.

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 07 July 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#45 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

I want 75tons with endosteel, 81km...

#46 Freebrewer Bmore

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

390XL huh? Better buy this one with cash, sounds like it'll be awful expensive for CBills...

#47 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

So, if the Linebacker MIGHT(?) be viable in comparison to the Stormcrow, how does it fare vs the brutal power of the Ebon Jaguar?

This one is much harder, because the math gives 2 distinct results this time.
1. The Linebacker can't match the Ebon for pod space, Period. End of story. It isn't ever going to out-gun a similar weapon build on a Ebon.

Then is there even a point to continuing? Well, sure. The Linebacker might be outgunned the the Ebon, but it does have several notable advantages that could fit certain situations or play styles better. Which brings us to:
2. The Linebacker has greater speed, especially post speed tweak: topping out at 104.5 vs the Ebon's 87.1. So yeah, the Linebacker can fill the hole faster, or chase something down better. Fits the name. Also, the Ebon can't use horizontal arm movement. At all. Ever. The Linebacker can mount lower arm (and hand) actuators on nearly all of its models, giving it the ability to shoot at an angle from its front (dependant on use of PPC or ACs). A useful advantage that often gets overlooked if one is trying to protect an exposed torso or leg.

Verdict?
This one comes down to play style. And, potentially, quirks. Speed, agility, and arm swing mean the Linebacker will likely be a better chaser/skirmisher, but it isn't going to rip Assaults a new one face-on nearly as readily as the Ebon. If, however, it ends up with a few notable quirks, then all bets are off and it might end up a better 'all-rounder'. And then the argument vs the Crow is a whole new conversation.

#48 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

View PostPodex, on 07 July 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

I'm an IS guy, through and through. I've bought the last two standard clan mech packs for the Cbills and stuff. I know I'm not going to use the mech, but I spend more on even lamer stuff every month, so why not actually spend money on something that's fairly enjoyable? $20 for a month's worth of fun? Count me in. Too bad it took this long to figure that one out.

It'll rot in the mechbay, but I feel like it's still a good deal.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If that is what you want to do, then I highly encourage you to do it!

Please don't take (or even allow) my disappointment or decision-making process come anywhere near criticism for your actions (or anybody elses actions for that matter), because that is not the case. At best, I'm stating my thoughts on the matter and explaining how and why I reached the conclusion I did...at worst, I'm just venting because I *want* to buy the shiny... I just have a hard time legitimizing it, and I *wish* it wasn't the case.

...so don't mind me :D

#49 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

OMG ! It´s been a while (OK, certainly not !) since I've seen such a great and beautiful design as this one. I do not know exactly how it is going to perform (it really has good speed set up), but owning and driving such a good looking mech should be awesome.

Can't wait to see this one on the battlefield. Congrats to the PGI team for delivering this exceptionally very cool looking battlemech. Posted Image

It reminds me of the first Robocop movie, with some elements similar to the Timber-wolf/Mad Cat. What was the name of that robot? You just want to get your hands on one of those.Posted Image

#50 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 07 July 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

Please don't take (or even allow) my disappointment or decision-making process come anywhere near criticism for your actions (or anybody elses actions for that matter), because that is not the case.

Absolutely not! I was only trying to openly justify my bad purchases! :D

I've walked away for about a year in the past, and I never really missed it. I just decided to start up again a couple months ago for reasons unknown to me. It does get very disappointing, playing the same maps over and over, with the same uncoordinated teams, with the same hit reg issues. It gets old. It gets old fast. The only thing I guess I really like is the idea of running around in a battlemech. Yes, it's a lame excuse.

#51 P

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationI bask in the fire, and look into the stars, Laughing

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

if only i can put a lbx20 and 4 srms6
;;

#52 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:15 PM

Art work/ appearance is brilliant.

Disappointed that hero and reinforcements seem so much better than $20 pack. Not spending $50 for pretty 65ton storm crow/nova.

#53 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostDesenova, on 07 July 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

It is WAY too tall. Part of its advantage was its squat stature, making it harder to hit for other, bigger mechs. From what I've gathered, it was made taller so that PGI could make it Torso Twist - WHICH IS COMPLETELY AGAINST THE DESIGN OF THE MECH! Why add it just to mess with its philosophy? And the more digging I do, the angrier I get - The Nova didn't have torso twist either! And don't even get me started on "It's for fair gameplay." It's a strategy game - learn some strategy. On top of that, this is the first concept art by PGI that I just do not like in ANY form. They have wonderful artists and renderers, but this one is just boring. And this payment method is getting really old as well. Why not have the Heroes, Special Editions, and Limited Editions with a ton of worthy bonuses cost real money and have the standard variants go for C-Bills? What's so wrong about that? You won't lose money if you make the Special stuff actually special. *End Rant* #NoTwist

lol people are jumping to conclusions just because it has long legs doesn't mean it will be tall. i would base its height on the over all shape of the mech it has a real IS chicken walker body, so its quite wide from the side and it doesn't narrow off at any point at the front, so if you add the long legs to all that i would say it will actually be between a Ebon jaguar and a catapult. and the other stuff is a combination of balancing and redesign not shore about this one but the Nover would need to have its own hit box setup since taking out a side torso would also take out a leg, it could me made to work the same as other mechs but would it mess with immersion? then there's balancing, there would be one more thing for them to factor in. it would be nice but not necessarily easy to implement.

Edited by Frost Lord, 07 July 2016 - 06:49 PM.

#54 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

I remember everyone making similar complaints about the Ebony Jaguar concept art; "It's too tall and looks nothing like the TRO artwork." and it's now one of the most popular, if not the most popular heavy Clan mechs in game.

If anything is going to hurt the Linebacker, it's going to be limited pod space. Why I stay away from it on the Table Top, it's all engine. If you like to fight in a Puma/Adder, this will be up your ally. It's more or less a Puma with more armor.

Edited by Steel Raven, 07 July 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#55 Dakkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

A tad tall. Seems PGI has a fetish for ruining the posture of squat mechs. I know the hip joint has been added for gameplay sake but come on, this Linebacker is about 70% legs.

I guess we'll have to see what it's stance is like in game.

#56 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

Excellent work on the concept art for the Linebacker! Badarse!

#57 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

Assuming you buy the less useless variants (C,D, RL) by blowing more money on this. Please note:
Only 17.5 tons of pod space.
Can not be a ninja mech (No JJ, No ECM, Too Large)

This mech is DOA in terms of performance. You'll be fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

But it looks beautiful. Only worth it if you like collecting mechs.

#58 Scout80913

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Major, major props to Alex and whomever else worked on this - it's tons better looking than in the TRO.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, can we move the banner up on the pre-order screen so that it doesn't block the awesome artwork?

#59 Elrik Stormbringer

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

all i am going to say is that the artists really dropped the ball on the special's paint job for this one. Should have had the BC Lions pattern on it :P

#60 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

Why would I ever want this mech when I already have a more than capable 65-Tonner in the Ebon Jaguar......oh no no no no no, they're going to nerf the EBJ somehow...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users