101 replies to this topic

#1 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

Before you post - please leave the "OMG PGI GET'S NONE OF MY MONEY TILL I SEE X FEATURE" out of this thread. I want to limit this to the Mech's potential performance, not the company's performance.

So, do you "Linebacker?" It's a 65 ton Stormcrow with 17.5 tons of pod space (16.5 with Max Armor). BTW, the Stormcrow has just over 22.5 tons with max armor. FF and Endo locked, no Jump Jets, and (at first glance) a good spread for fixed armor and structure slots, so you should be able to use max ballistics in side torsos.

I just worry about getting a Mech that trades pod space for speed (remember the Ice Fridge) - sure it's faster, but does it make up for the 10-11 tons of lost pod space (Ebon Jag has 28 free tons with max armor)?

Thoughts?

#2 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

The Ebon Jaguar is still a pretty fast heavy at 87kph. Many IS mechs tend to top out around that speed too if they are equipping large XL engines. Heck, even though my Jester can go faster, I find the sweet spot with engine vs weapons is still about 90kph. Even the big 75ton Timber Wolf is good for 87kph. If you really want that speed with solid firepower, I think a medium like the Storm Crow might be the better route.

Overall, I don't think the speed alone (especially at the sacrifice to weapon/equipment space) is worth it. I'd get the mech if you like it and think it's cool, but I think that is about as far as it goes.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

Thanks to quirks it might be able to fire its CERPPCs for some time, with speed for positioning. That's about it. Crow is just so much more efficient when it comes to lasers and missiles.

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:08 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 08 July 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

Thanks to quirks it might be able to fire its CERPPCs for some time, with speed for positioning. That's about it. Crow is just so much more efficient when it comes to lasers and missiles.

That's kind of the kicker though too. We don't know quirks and quirks can be a big game changer.

The best we can do is hypothesize without quirks at this time. Besides, quirks are all easy come easy go anyway. You can never count on them staying the same.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 08 July 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 08 July 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

That's kind of the kicker though too. We don't know quirks and quirks can be a big game changer.

The best we can do is hypothesize without quirks at this time. Besides, quirks are all easy come easy go anyway. You can never count on them staying the same.

Linebacker-Prime is as iconic with its CERPPCs as the Warhawk-Prime is. I am 90% sure that it will receive at the least similar CERPPC quirks as that of the Warhawk, if not more.

Then again, it is PGI, so nothing is too certain.

Edited by El Bandito, 08 July 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 08 July 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

Linebacker-Prime is as iconic with its CERPPCs as the Warhawk-Prime is. I am 90% sure that it will receive at the least similar CERPPC quirks as that of the Warhawk, if not more.

Then again, it is PGI, so nothing is too certain.

ERPPC quirks would make sense, but like you said, nothing is certain. One can only hope.

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

Skipping this one. Maybe I'll pick it up for CBills down the line, but heck no I won't burn real money on it. Everything it can do, other mechs can already do. Usually at a lighter tonnage, too. Kanajashi basically summed it up exactly as I would have:

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

It looks like fun, but probably not really competitive. The real turn-off is needing to spend $50 to decently optimize it. And do you really need six? I'll pass and pick three up for CB/MC (because the hero is proabbly needed) eventually.

Edited by TercieI, 08 July 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#9 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostTercieI, on 08 July 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

It looks like fun, but probably not really competitive. The real turn-off is needing to spend $50 to decently optimize it. And do you really need six? I'll pass and pick three up for CB/MC eventually.

I will say at least I can't quite blame PGI for putting the good ones behind a paywall. Their sales model with reinforcements doesn't particularly care which set of mechs are the good variants. The configurations being based on TRO configurations means the good variants would have always been the good ones. Had FASA made the C and D the A and B instead, we'd be getting the more energy and missile loaded variants without having to pay extra.

#10 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Honestly? Bitterness aside, Linebacker is an awful omni. Now if it could swap engines... it'd be decent but as is? Just skip it and keep the storm crow.

Hell if PGI gave the hero omni an XL355 they'd make money.. welll money on anyone who actually bought a line backer which won't be many people probably.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 08 July 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 08 July 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

I will say at least I can't quite blame PGI for putting the good ones behind a paywall. Their sales model with reinforcements doesn't particularly care which set of mechs are the good variants. The configurations being based on TRO configurations means the good variants would have always been the good ones. Had FASA made the C and D the A and B instead, we'd be getting the more energy and missile loaded variants without having to pay extra.

There are options. I like GMan's prime & pick 'em model for your three variants.

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

It just seems like the Linebacker wouldn't do anything the Ebon Jaguar couldn't do (and seemingly better) with the same tonnage (except top speed).

Maybe the ERPPC quirks could make the difference if it gets it. Overall though, I just don't think the speed is enough to warrant it.

Again though, if you really think it's cool and want one, I'd go ahead and get it. You could probably make it work well enough anyway and a speedy heavy mech is fun.

Id just get it more for liking the chassis more so than expecting it to be the new heavy mech leader.

#13 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostAgent1190, on 08 July 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Before you post - please leave the "OMG PGI GET'S NONE OF MY MONEY TILL I SEE X FEATURE" out of this thread. I want to limit this to the Mech's potential performance, not the company's performance.

So, do you "Linebacker?" It's a 65 ton Stormcrow with 17.5 tons of pod space (16.5 with Max Armor). BTW, the Stormcrow has just over 22.5 tons with max armor. FF and Endo locked, no Jump Jets, and (at first glance) a good spread for fixed armor and structure slots, so you should be able to use max ballistics in side torsos.

I just worry about getting a Mech that trades pod space for speed (remember the Ice Fridge) - sure it's faster, but does it make up for the 10-11 tons of lost pod space (Ebon Jag has 28 free tons with max armor)?

Thoughts?

Well when looking at the math...

Linebacker 104.5km/h post speed tweak
Ebon Jaguar / Hellbringer 87.1km/h post speed tweak

(((104.5-87.1)*1000)/60) = 290

Running in a straight line, the Linebacker will cover 290m more than the Ebon Jaguar / Hellbringer every minuet of forward movement, that's it guys 290m/minuet, so if face hugging it would take the Linebacker more than full minuet to get out of optimal range of an Ebon Jaguar packing a UAC/20. I don't know about you, but I'm not inclined to show my backside to an Red Team mech packing a UAC/20 for that long.... Keep in mind that's straight line running, once you start turning during that sprint, due to how chasing works, that Ebon Jaguar is likely to keep up with you, as he can see the path you are going to take and take better care to avoid the objects that will slow you down.

So for me, the speed gain, is not worth the pod space lost, and I hope for everyone that wants it, it is everything you are expecting it to be, I just think it's going to be joining the Orion IIC and Highlander IIC in the "Why did I buy this?" section of the mech hanger for most people....

Edited by Metus regem, 08 July 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#14 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3585b145eb885cf
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e19ce187d569330

Nuff said...

Edited by davoodoo, 08 July 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#15 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

I wouldn't unless you are a true mech addict.

I MIGHT consider $20 on it, to see how it is.. MIGHT.

But I worry it will be another regretful purchase like the Archer and the Phoenix Hawk.

#16 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

If you can wait a little while longer before early adopter rewards end, I recommend you wait and see what is to come.

I wait for the basic info on GH 2.0, because I know as a DEFINITE,

That some people will refund some of their preorderee mechs such as the Huntsman, Cyclops, and this mech.

That is, if the basics come out beforehand.

#17 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 08 July 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

Hell if PGI gave the hero omni an XL355 they'd make money.. welll money on anyone who actually bought a line backer which won't be many people probably.
This is a great idea, if only PGI had actually done this.

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

View PostKarmen Baric, on 08 July 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

This is a great idea, if only PGI had actually done this.

Only problem is it wouldn't just cross the P2W line, it'd nuke it from orbit. Still, not sure why they wouldn't at least TRY to make money on this thing.

#19 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 08 July 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Only problem is it wouldn't just cross the P2W line, it'd nuke it from orbit. Still, not sure why they wouldn't at least TRY to make money on this thing.

Usually when they have heroes there's usually a background to them.

Though I don't remember if the hero linebacker does origin from lore, so far what I've gone through the books I've had I haven't remembered or read yet in one of them about the being of a Linebacker hero.

#20 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

PGI will quirk this thing to glory and then nerf it when it comes out for c-bills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users