- - - - -

What's The Best Piece Of Advice You Ignored At First?

74 replies to this topic

#1 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

I thought this would have been a great thing to have read as a rookie, so I'm throwing it out there:
When you look back at the learning curve of MWO and improving your skills as a pilot, what was the tip that you originally ignored that turned out to be a key to your success/eureka moment as you upped your skills?
For me it was this:
Bonus Tip : Use all 6 weapon groups. There are actually 7 if you include the Alpha Strike. Set up different combinations with them even if you only have 1 weapon type. This can increase your heat efficiency by a large margin.

from AlCapwnU2's (rough)guide to pilot self-improvement

It helped me go from being at the mercy of my heat sinks/lack of heat sinks to controlling my heat and making sure I could always, always be putting out damage. Invaluable in FP. Or FW or CW or whatever we're calling it now.

#2 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

I did/do so many things wrong is is hard to decide....

#3 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

Lower in game mouse sensitivity very far to the left!!!

I went a long time with default settings and I coildnt hit moving assault mechs...

Now with a .16 to .18, i can hit moving light mechs!!!

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostKarl the Plumber, on 10 July 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

Bonus Tip : Use all 6 weapon groups. There are actually 7 if you include the Alpha Strike. Set up different combinations with them even if you only have 1 weapon type. This can increase your heat efficiency by a large margin.

Do not agree.
Prefer KISS: Keep it simple, stupid.

If somehow 6 FCGs is truly "logical" on your build, then your build is probably bad in the first place.

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

"Want to win? Play to the meta."

I still ignore it (mostly...and that is why I will probably always be T3) but it is good advice, and alas, true.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 10 July 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

"Want to win? Play to the meta."

I still ignore it (mostly...and that is why I will probably always be T3) but it is good advice, and alas, true.

Using the meta is only half the battle, using it correctly is the real challenge.
I see tons of new players in my low tier alt account that have builds straight from metamechs.com but havent the slightest idea as to how to use em.

A pilot in a non-meta build that knows what they are doing is still way more dangerous than a rookie in a super meta build

#7 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

Yes, but I play to have fun, not to stroke my ego by winning. Some of the meta builds are very effective at what they do, but an effective build that is boring to actually play doesn't interest me. Probably why I'll never make Tier 1.

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

"Ditch those LRM and get some "real" weapons."

#9 Hank Wildcarde

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

Have a go at leading.

You will surprise yourself Posted Image

Even if it's over text chat any plan is better than none and people will appreciate it. Don't be discouraged when it goes wrong and you get the "n00b team, useless leader" jibes - they didn't dare and more often than not you can swing a game by calling a plan and most importantly calling targets to focus fire on.

It's a great when typing "focus dire charlie" reduces that shining 100 tons to scrap in 3 seconds...

#10 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:27 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 10 July 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

If somehow 6 FCGs is truly "logical" on your build, then your build is probably bad in the first place.

KISS is the way to go with most things, sure. I use three groupings for my most-used weapon configs. I use the other 3 for combos that won't overheat me if there's a flamercrow brawling with me, if I've lost a component that had a lot of my heat sinks on it, etc. What this tip helped me realize was that there are extra weapon groups that can help in-game. I certainly don't build mechs around the weapon grouping.

#11 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

"Turn off arm lock"

I ignored it when I first started and died quickly in my assault mechs because I could not twist my torso very well to spread damage while my weapons cooled down. I have since changed my ways and noticed a considerable increase in survivability because of the improved twisting ability you get with arm lock off. It is still a work in progress and it took alot of testing ground practice to get remotely comfortable with it.

@Boogie138 Ya hit the nail on the head for my start in this game. I copied loadouts from Metamechs and other places and still got my butt handed to me by better pilots in "weaker" mechs.

#12 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostJack McKnight, on 10 July 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

"Turn off arm lock"

In t5 underhive i was told to turn off armlock because my twisting was like sh%t.
In t2 derpzone i was told to turn on armlock because my aim was like sh&t.

#13 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

I was really slow to start using XL engines. I'm a suspenders and a belt personality, so I always figured I'd be better served by the survivability of an STD engine. Worse, my first mechs were Cicadas, so I was learning the ropes in an STD-250 engined CDA-3C. This is why should come here for help...

I still run STD engines in specific mechs which I find to make exceptional use of them (especially Crabs, Zeus), but mostly it's XL for the speed and firepower. An enemy ylu've already killed cannot shoot your ST.

#14 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 10 July 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

In t5 underhive i was told to turn off armlock because my twisting was like sh%t.
In t2 derpzone i was told to turn on armlock because my aim was like sh&t.

While my survivability increased, my accuracy has taken a hit when juggling between my torso and arm mounted weapons. The first live match after turning arm lock off, I alpha struck an enemy and nailed him CT with my torso weapons but my arm mounted lasers missed WIDE left of target. I have seen videos of people hitting two enemies at once with arms unlocked. I guess that is advanced skill level lol.

I wonder too if it makes a difference in the mech as to whether or not a person runs arm lock. I have seen some pretty good Arctic Cheetah and Locust pilots that run arm lock, but then again, they never really have to worry about twisting.

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

Just use the shift key to unlock and twist.

Then soon as you let shift go, it reverts back. That's how I've always done it, means when I'm shooting everything (arms/torso) is all at least heading in the same direction. Whether I hit something, that is entirely different.

#16 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostR31Nismoid, on 10 July 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

Just use the shift key to unlock and twist. Then soon as you let shift go, it reverts back. That's how I've always done it, means when I'm shooting everything (arms/torso) is all at least heading in the same direction. Whether I hit something, that is entirely different.

Personally I remap Left Shift to "Toggle Arm Lock" myself. That way I don't have to hold Shift, but hitting it swaps back and forth mid match real quick.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

"Never chain fire."

#18 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

Huge mistakes which involve lessons learned over years learned over years.

Mechs are and should be used as a "Mailed Fist".

The perfect example is the Germans vs France (and Britain) in WW2. The Allies had more and better tanks. But they scattered theirs while the Germans keep theirs together. And every German tank had a simple but important device...a radio. The French were using flags stuck out of the windows of their tanks to try to communicate.

Stay together and communicate.

Do not make the mistake of thinking you can make a difference on your own. Chances are you will be easily killed by two-three of the enemy.

Do not reinforce failure. When you see a teammate go off by him or herself, do not follow them thinking you will help keep them out of trouble. Instead of losing one teammate, you will lose two. Do not try to "save" someone who has gotten themselves in a no hope position.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 10 July 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Personally I remap Left Shift to "Toggle Arm Lock" myself. That way I don't have to hold Shift, but hitting it swaps back and forth mid match real quick.

Yeah I tried that but I found I was shooting far more often than I was needing to twist cause in the heat of battle it was something to remember to press on/off, so I changed it back as I found holding it down easier.

Personal preference - but yeah, torso twist is king.

I saw a LRM Boat Timby last night (with 2 EML)... Once he was outta ammo with LRMs (1400 rounds, only 450dmg lol)... He then basically walked at the next target and was open cored/killed in 10 seconds. If he was twisting he'd have stayed alive a LOT longer, done more damage and even landed a kill by spreading that 70-80dmg over 5 area's, live 2-3x as long potentially.

#20 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 10 July 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

better advice here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users