- - - - -

What's The Best Piece Of Advice You Ignored At First?

74 replies to this topic

#61 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

When you die, it will happen. Spectate the other players.

Try to get a feel where all the other remaining enemy mechs are at the time, what they are and in what condition.

Later on you will do this automatically as you see mechs and note them and their capabilities.

It is called developing your situational awareness.

#62 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:44 AM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 17 July 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Basically. Upping RAM might help too, but video card has the biggest impact by far. I run 1440x900 at 100+ FPS just fine regardless of the map with the setting shown below with a old 2GB Radeon HD 7800 that I picked up for $80 used. MWO can really get by with older gen cards pretty well if you are looking to pick up a cheap upgrade that will still make a big difference.

http://images.akamai...72F618F530DCF1/

Yes, perfect example, I'm running MWO with a Radeon HD5770... 0 graphical issues.

#63 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

The 100 FPS in the screenshot is actually on the low side for me. My average is 120-140 FPS during a match depending on the map and time of day. When I brought up the settings screen on top of the match actually dropped me from 130-140 FPS down to the 100 range. Had 175+ at the beginning of that match, although that is unusually high for me.

Even with that, I only see 55-65 FPS in the mech hanger though. Always thought that it was weird that my FPS dropped so much on a fairly static screen compared to in the middle of a mission, even during fire fights.

Full disclaimer, my 7800 is factory overclocked from 1000 MHz to 1100. Other games were fine clocking it all the way to 1250-1300 range, but MWO did NOT like it, so I keep it at the factory levels. Running 12 GB of 1333MHz RAM and a I5-4690K running at 3.8-4.1 MHz range from the 3.5MHz stock (have the OC settings on my motherboard set to auto so it adjusts the clock ratio on the fly depending on load and system temp). Those OC levels run fine even with a stock CPU cooler and 3 good case fans.

I do eventually plan on adding another fan in my 4th case fan slot, putting a better CPU cooler on it and changing out to a SSD or hybrid drive, but the system is pretty good for something that I put together for around $700-750 just a couple months ago including cost of monitor with the video card being the only part bought used and the HDD and 4 of the 12GB of RAM being the only parts reused from part I had already. The other 8 is actually 1600MHz RAM that came as part of the CPU/Motherboard/RAM bundle from Newegg, don't have my RAM overclocked at all currently. Currently all 12GB set to run at 1333 but have run all 12GB at 1600 without much issues previously. Dropped the OC levels some when I moved my setup where it is now, because airflow is not quite as good in that part of the house, so the ambient room temp is higher than where I had my computer setup before. All settings listed as current are what I'm running in the warmer room (as was the screenshot). About to install/replace a couple ceiling fans for better airflow in that section of the house this weekend, so that should help drop the room temp some pulling in some of the cooler air from the main part of the house.

Edited by Digital_Angel, 19 July 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#64 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

Rigs like that make me jealous. My better half won't let me drop $$ to upgrade.

#65 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:32 AM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 19 July 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

Don't drop money. Never drop it. She is dang right to refuse to let you drop the money to upgrade.

Instead, put up the money to get it done.

Seriously, what kind of crazy person drops his money? Good way to lose it.
:P

(I used to save money to make big purchases happen. Set aside 15-25 each paycheck.

#66 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 19 July 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

You can build a decent rig for $300-500 range, especially using AMD chips. I actually looked through my order history on Newegg and only spent $476 total on my rig ordering almost everything from Newegg, buying a used video card off Craigslist, and only used a HDD and a small amount of RAM from existing parts. I could have reused DVD drives as well, but new MBD was SATA only, not a single IDE connector. That $476 for the entire system ($80 of that was the 2nd hand video card) included monitor (refurb on a model that was being discontinued = $200 monitor for $44) from Newegg from a decent manufacturer. I built my rig in Feb. of this year, so same parts should be significantly cheaper now. That price point was after $45 in mail in rebates on 2 of my components. I selected some components based on bundle deals or sale prices, but every single component was from manufacturers that I trust and with warranty (even the refurb monitor had 90 day on it) except for the 2nd hand video card (that I made sure to see run and benchmarked before paying)

I typed a lot more detail earlier, but before I was done the servers went down for all the patches and it was lost.

My monitor is not a gaming monitor. Its my biggest bottleneck currently in fact at 19 inch, 5ms, 1440x900 at 75Hz, but earlier I found a pretty good deal on a 24 inch 1080p, 144Hz 1ms Acer gaming monitor on sale when I looked at Newegg to check what I paid for mine. Heck, for $181 shipped I may have just found my birthday present. Sale on the link ends tomorrow unfortunately.

Eventually I will add a 4th case fan, and a better CPU cooler to be able to overclock further and a SDD to cut load on load times, but very happy with my rig. I knew before that my laptop was holding me back, but never realized how much until I build the new rig. I had been in that same 25-40 FPS (depending on map and settings) spot that you are now. Overnight the higher FPS helped aiming a LOT. My laptop was a good computer, high end for a couple years ago, but it was bought for work and only had integrated graphics. Then again staring at system configurations or writing code doesn't require much for graphics and until after I needed to buy it, I had not gotten back into PC gaming much.

EDIT: Saw the other thread you started so we didn't take over here. Answered there with exact parts listing that will easily get the job done for under $600 with new parts.

Edited by Digital_Angel, 19 July 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#67 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:55 AM

"shot the assault in the legs."
A large number of assault skim leg amour for more weapon, while storing ammo in the same legs.
Do a leg check, if it turn dark yellow, go for it then remove the other leg at leisure/distance.

#68 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:28 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 11 July 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

Ah, and you do need actuators to use armlock, or rather to unlock it. Not all mechs have the same actuators (lower, upper, hand). Omni'mechs will lose actuators when mounting PPCs or ballistics and they can dismount their actuators at will at the mechlab, Battle'mechs do not lose their actuators even when mounted with PPCs or ballistics. SO check your Omni'mechs when you switch loadouts.

Speaking of which, if you have an omnimech with an asymmetric loadout, only mount the hand actuator on the arm with the least amount of firepower on it so your weapons will last longer. The hand actuator does improve your arm pitch and yaw range but it also increases the size of the arm hitbox significantly. You can also use the hand actuator to help shield the torso if you can afford to lose the arm.

On topic: Since I joined in closed beta when the game changed completely on a weekly basis, there wasn't much advice to be had or ignored that didn't get outdated soon. Pretty much everyone was a newb back then.

#69 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:33 AM

Mechwarriors, take their mechs, and wars very seriously. Just remember to remember it's just a game in the end. No matter what the outcome of each battle turns out to be. If you can't have fun, then you've just lost.

I did, and still do forget from time to time to remember to just get out there and have fun. Don't let yourself get caught up in it all. Stick to your guns, even if it is against the grain.

NOW DAMNIT MECHS NEED TO EXPLODE!!!

(Not everymech should blow up in a brilliant light show, just sometimes, it should happen.)

Edited by Omaha, 22 July 2016 - 01:37 AM.

#70 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:54 AM

I second that one: "Don't sell mechs and don't sell engines either."

So many C-Bills... and for what ? Re-bought most of them after a while.

#71 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:33 AM

View PostShu Horus, on 22 July 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

I second that one: "Don't sell mechs and don't sell engines either."

So many C-Bills... and for what ? Re-bought most of them after a while.

It helps if you have some idea which engines you'll actually need, there's a lot of stock engines that you're realistically never going to use. That being said keep at least one of each if you're not sure.

#72 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:09 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 10 July 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

Do not agree.
Prefer KISS: Keep it simple, stupid.

If somehow 6 FCGs is truly "logical" on your build, then your build is probably bad in the first place.

12 medium lasers.
4, 4, ,4 in succession spaced out 0.5 seconds apart regardless of beam time. Then 2 more groups of 6 each, one with 6 obln arms and other with 6 on torso. And finally one with all twelve on standard chain fire. One logical keep it simple stupid build using all 6 groups. Queue the first three on a macro so you can churn 12 lasers in short time without ghost heat and better management of heat.

#73 Fiona Marshe Pureborn

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:38 AM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 19 July 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

Even with that, I only see 55-65 FPS in the mech hanger though. Always thought that it was weird that my FPS dropped so much on a fairly static screen compared to in the middle of a mission, even during fire fights.

The Hanger was hard-capped in closed-beta due to several runaway string errors and CPU overheats on lower-spec machines.

#74 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

Key learning: stop hiding, keep moving, and keep shooting back.

You can't hide your way to victory. Hiders cost teams matches. And there is no benefit to being alive while the rest of your team dies.

#75 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostFiona Marshe Pureborn, on 25 July 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

The Hanger was hard-capped in closed-beta due to several runaway string errors and CPU overheats on lower-spec machines.

Didn't know that, thanks. I always wondered why the FPS dropped so bad on what should have been an easy screen on the video card.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users