5 replies to this topic

#1 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hi there,

I couldn't find anything, so please don't throw rocks if I have overseen this somewhere:

Is there an particular reason, why the 330 XL-Engine of the Stromcrow is not able to hold up to 3 additional Heat Sinks on the Engine spot, like any other Engine of 275 and above would allow (one additional HS per 25 rate over 250) ?

Dunno, if there are other chassis limited like this too, but it just occured to me when playing with the layout of the Crow and almost always running out of Slots.

Cheers,
Nuit

#2 Grauluchs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

It is displayed with no 3 DHS in Battletech TRO. DHS are mounted as modules on an Omnimech. You cant equip DHS Modules in the Engine accordng to the Tabletop Rules.

#3 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:47 AM

View PostShu Horus, on 12 July 2016 - 12:18 AM, said:

Dunno, if there are other chassis limited like this too, but it just occured to me when playing with the layout of the Crow and almost always running out of Slots.

The term is "hardwired", some equipment is locked into the omni pod, like jumpjets or DHS (they are greyed out). Engines are always hardwired to the CT omni pod and the heatsinks are also hardwired into the engine. Even if the Mechlab displays 2/4 for example, there is space to fit in another 2 heatsinks.
The ice ferret also features an XL 360 with 2/4 heatsinks, implying room for another 2 heatsinks which wasn't used when the omnipod was designed and assembled. It is a bit misleading and shoud rather look like XL 360 (10+2) then XL 360 2/4.

PGI showed a heart and allowed some hardlocked equipment to be removed or changed, the flamer on the adder variants for example. In other cases they've been cold as ice (hardwired jumpjets on summoners).

Ultimately, it is a meassure a balancing, they might unlock it for omni'mechs which underperform or lock certain equipment to nerf better performing mechs (like the timberwolf and his jumpjets.

#4 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:39 AM

you cant modify engine heatsink slots on any omnimech afaik

if it has them it has them and if it doesnt you cant put them

#5 Dreammirror

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

In tabletop battletech, when constructing an onmi-mech, you decided how many heat sinks were integral to the design. The 55 ton Stormcrow with its large 330 XL engine could therefor have a maximum of 13 heat sinks in it(3 tons with no need to list them). Not evey mech however was constructed efficiently. Once construction was over, any additional heat sinks added later as pod space had to be listed. So had the Storm Crow been designed to use 12 double heat during construction but later in the field added 1 double heat for a partular configuration, it would have to be listed as space and weight in the design. Fortunately, most clan omnimechs from the 3050 technical readout book were designed for maximum efficiency so that issue hardly ever came up.

#6 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

View PostDreammirror, on 13 July 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Fortunately, most clan omnimechs from the 3050 technical readout book were designed for maximum efficiency so that issue hardly ever came up.

Or unfortunately, given how many folks voiced that clans completely ruined the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users