10 replies to this topic

#1 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

So I have a Radeon XFX R9 290 4GB gpu and during heavy gaming temps rise to 94 degrees. Now, I know that this card is designed to run that hot, however it makes me uncomfortable and the components around it are probably not supposed to be subjected to sustained high temps. I can use MSI Afterburner or another program to manually adjust the fan speed to near 75% and it peeks around 82 degrees or so, however it sounds like a jet engine. SO...Ive narrowed it down to 2 choices. They are ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV, or a custom job with a CPU cooler like the Cooler Master 120m and some cuts to the shroud on the gpu.

This would be simple: https://www.amazon.c...=A28VADU4WUGJ11

This would not be simple but more efficient.

Thoughts????

Edited by Quinn Allard, 12 July 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

Have you ever cleaned it and re-applied thermal compound to it? I mean, that Accelero cooler has MX-4 pre-applied so I guess for $70 that would work, but how long do you anticipate holding onto that 290? It's already starting to get a little long in the tooth eh? If you're looking at upgrading over a year from now, that $70 is probably an OK spend, but if you're thinking of grabbing a Vega card when they come out then I'd probably just clean it out real nice and put some MX-4 on with the stock cooler to see how much better it gets first.

#3 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

could lower the power target, the 290 gets a lot more efficient at slightly lower speeds and voltages.

#4 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

The reference cooler is just plain garbage. There is a reason why nobody should by a reference card - or "founder's edition" for the people which can be easily ripped off their money.

The Accelero is pretty good. Depending on your case and case ventilation, the arctic Hybrid is another good option.
A third possible solution would be this lil helper: http://www.raijintek...hp?ProductID=11
There you can freely choose your fans.

#5 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

So I know this card is getting old. However I got one hell of a deal on this build and want to keep costs down. I will not be upgrading for the foreseeable future, as MWO is running at 130fps normally and only dips to 90-100fps during heavy firefights. That FPS is perfectly acceptable for even competitive play. Other games get better results, and this rig plays everything Ive thrown at it max settings and good fps to great fps. So rather than replace the GPU and spend another $250-350 I want to spend the $60-100 to cool the 290.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

View PostQuinn Allard, on 13 July 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

So I know this card is getting old. However I got one hell of a deal on this build and want to keep costs down. I will not be upgrading for the foreseeable future, as MWO is running at 130fps normally and only dips to 90-100fps during heavy firefights. That FPS is perfectly acceptable for even competitive play. Other games get better results, and this rig plays everything Ive thrown at it max settings and good fps to great fps. So rather than replace the GPU and spend another $250-350 I want to spend the $60-100 to cool the 290.

From vast experience, I can tell you that it dips a lot harder than that. Don't worry, though, that's usually CPU-related. If you're not planning on playing any other brand new games this fall at cranked settings, you'll be fine with your card. Honestly, just replacing the thermal compound on its own will probably be enough to make you happy. Spend $8 before you spend $70 is the typical philosophy.

#7 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

I can post screen shots in firefights and FPS will be anywhere from high 80's to low 120's depending on map. Performance isnt the issue. Its the heat.

#8 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

Have you tried lowering the power target yet?

#9 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 25 July 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Have you tried lowering the power target yet?

I have not.

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:18 AM

I don't think there's any reasonable benefit to buy aftermarket cooler onto such several years old card. You could check the paste like suggested and renew it, and if you have room, maybe add another fan on top of the original/s. Anything beond cheap&dirty I think would be just an overkill.

#11 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostQuinn Allard, on 12 July 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

So I have a Radeon XFX R9 290 4GB gpu and during heavy gaming temps rise to 94 degrees. Now, I know that this card is designed to run that hot, however it makes me uncomfortable and the components around it are probably not supposed to be subjected to sustained high temps. I can use MSI Afterburner or another program to manually adjust the fan speed to near 75% and it peeks around 82 degrees or so, however it sounds like a jet engine. SO...Ive narrowed it down to 2 choices. They are ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV, or a custom job with a CPU cooler like the Cooler Master 120m and some cuts to the shroud on the gpu.

This would be simple: https://www.amazon.c...=A28VADU4WUGJ11

This would not be simple but more efficient.

Thoughts????

Do it !!!

or more efficient may be https://world.tmall....0714.0.0.8veyU5

you are lucky it runs 90 celcius, mine stay cool at 70 celcius, average 30fps + a bit. very high detail settings no AA

Edited by cx5, 27 July 2016 - 11:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users