#21 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

band aids... band aids everywhere.

PGI will not admit the implementation was done wrong.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 13 July 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

band aids... band aids everywhere.

PGI will not admit the implementation was done wrong.

Working as intended™.

#23 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

May not be an online game, but its my new game ...

https://youtu.be/Ysu6hAT50z8

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Edited by Ace Selin, 13 July 2016 - 08:00 PM.

#24 Xocoyol Zaraoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

120 damage is still 6x more damaging then Long Toms are in BT, as well as more then enough to annihilate any mech if it splashes rear, or any mech period that isn't an assault and that's near the center of splash... Or maybe I'm just dense...

Either way as long as I can still get hit while in mid-air from my derpship spawn, I'm not thrilled...

Edited by Xocoyol Zaraoul, 13 July 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#25 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

View PostJman5, on 13 July 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...ejuly-road-map/

Thank goodness. Now if you bring a 100 ton Direwolf it will only be crippled beyond use instead of out-right killed. Oh and don't you worry about ejecting. Long Tom just stepped out for some of his "medicine". He's coming right back in two minutes to teach you the meaning of respect and how your generation is a bunch of entitled whiners.

The reduced radius will also mean you might only lose or cripple 2-3 mechs every 2 minutes instead of 4 or 5.

Also they're going to keep Long Tom's cooldown precisely aligned with the dropship cooldown so that it can continue focusing down freshly dropped mechs that are forcibly clustered in a tight spot and unable to move. Incidentally, did you know that Long Tom cannot abide crowds?

Having the cooldown set at 2 minutes resulting in up to 14 separate visits from Long Tom is in no way unreasonable. Especially in a game with Limited respawns and a counter-attack game mode that is decided by kill count.

They're also totally not double counting torsos in the maximum damage per mech. A maximum of 1,320 damage per mech is a completely reasonable amount.

Finally, terrain and elevation will continue playing absolutely no role in blocking or reducing damage. As we all know Long Tom is deeply suspicious of people who try to avoid his company. He will burst through meters of solid rock and concrete to find you.

As we all know people really enjoy being bombed out of the sky with virtually no in-game recourse. I'm sure the queue numbers for those planets are going to really take off after this change. It totally wont continue relying on suckers not checking the scouting percentage before launching.

you do Realize that 120Damage is at Ground Zero, at 100m thats 60Damage but only if you Face it,
if you Turn a Shield side to the LT you can Protect your other side alot of the time,
also most mechs can get out of Range if they see it soon enough,

#26 Tigerwolf

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

This is the stupidest idea ever. Long Tom was and is poorly implemented and should be removed from the game just like:
Laser turrets in assault mode
Missile turrets in assault mode
Ghost drops
Collisions/knock downs
The old original maps (remember the old ramp in river city?)
Mining "mechanisms" that replaced the lighted square in assault
The promise of immersive FW
PGI will and has wasted a lot of time on many items and have removed them so just add the Long Tom to the list. Nothing should be able to take out 15 mechs in one shot! It happened, funny, but it did happen.

#27 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 13 July 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

you do Realize that 120Damage is at Ground Zero, at 100m thats 60Damage but only if you Face it,
if you Turn a Shield side to the LT you can Protect your other side alot of the time,

Okay. So it only cripples several mechs and kills one every 2 minutes, so 10 times in a fast 20 minute match.

Also that's every location on a mech that's exposed, so the 60 X arm, St, CT, leg. 240 damage. Again, even if it's only catching 2 mechs per drop at 100m each it's 4800 damage and some kills. That's talking about a team who is 100% coordinated, scattered and on the ball. Against a pug team is many times that.

It's a horrible, horrible mechanic. I don't want it for or against. The only reason anyone is playing FW is most units have agreed to stop scouting before 90% because they want to play the game -

Not play a mechanic designed to get half the population to stop playing and force the rest to ghost drop.

It's a terrible, terrible idea. It's a mechanic designed to for example people not to play. How is that sane?

People scout for the same reason they play conquest. It's what they enjoy. If you say everyone has to play 5 matches in Conquest to unlock one game in Skirmish, how would that work? How about every 10 votes game-wide for Conquest reduces odds of Skirmish being an option to pick by 5%? That way your ability to play what you want is controlled by randoms you'll never meet.

Isn't that fun?

No. It absolutely isnt. It's an experience that teaches you to hate Conquest, hate the randoms keeping you from playing what you want and hate PGI for doing something so foolish.

Oh, but wait! You should just learn to love playing Conquest! That's a solution, right?

No. Not at all. Most the IS players I know hate Scouting now specifically because they're forced to play it if they want to play FW.

This isn't hyperbole to say it's the most hate-inspiring mechanic I've ever seen in a game. It literally serves to make people not want to play FW. That's what it does. It doesn't make people say "I know! I'll go play something I don't want to play so I can unlock something I do want to play!" It doesn't make people say "I know! I'll go play at a catastrophic disadvantage because a bunch of pugs list scouting matches! That's fun and immersive!" It doesn't make people say "I know! I'll go play a FPS where an automated system will do 30% of the total damage and kills my team gets via random nuke drops, making my presence in a team v team FPS largely irrelevant, all because the other sides pugs lost some scouting matches!"

Even the most hardcore, dedicated FW teams have clearly stated that they hate it and want it gone. The people who like LT literally are not numerous enough to fill a single FW drop and most of them like it for troll value.

For the love of all that is holy, Andi, I'm begging you, get PGI to quit trolling us for wanting to play FW and remove LT.

If Scout queue can close and drive players out of invasion queue it's a terrible idea.

Please. Look at the player response. Look at the population impact on the queues. Make it stop. Quit punishing us for trying to play FW.

#28 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostXocoyol Zaraoul, on 13 July 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

120 damage is still 6x more damaging then Long Toms are in BT, as well as more then enough to annihilate any mech if it splashes rear, or any mech period that isn't an assault and that's near the center of splash... Or maybe I'm just dense...

Either way as long as I can still get hit while in mid-air from my derpship spawn, I'm not thrilled...

No, Tabletop Long Tom does 30 damage total to a directly hit mech. That 30 is divided into six instances of 5 damage to a mech section.

Our Long Tom used to do 150 each to 11 components = 1,650. Now it will do 120 each to 11 components = 1,320 damage.

30 damage to each directly hit mech vs 1,320 damage to each directly hit mech.

Tabletop Long Tom just gets people to move; it's an area-denial weapon. It isn't really used to kill. It's also wildly inaccurate and drifts in random directions from where it's aimed at.

Posted Image

#29 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 13 July 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

No, Tabletop Long Tom does 30 damage total to a directly hit mech. That 30 is divided into six instances of 5 damage to a mech section.

Our Long Tom used to do 150 each to 11 components = 1,650. Now it will do 120 each to 11 components = 1,320 damage.

30 damage to each directly hit mech vs 1,320 damage to each directly hit mech.

Tabletop Long Tom just gets people to move; it's an area-denial weapon. It isn't really used to kill. It's also wildly inaccurate and drifts in random directions from where it's aimed at.

Posted Image

Ok, so yah- this is how i remember it. 30/20/10 right?

Im not sure why the long time we have in mwo is a holy hand grenade of antioch

#30 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

Great. Only 60 damage to every exposed component. Because that wouldn't kill or maim anyone.

You would have to be running at full speed in a 90+ kph mech when the smoke drops on you to even have a hope of getting beyond 200 meters.

Realistically what happens is that the Long Tom activates. Then a couple seconds after the timer starts counting down, the smoke becomes visible. 90% of the time you wont ever even see the smoke and you'll just die suddenly. However, if you're lucky or really observant, you will notice the purple smoke a second or two later. That's just about the time the audio bothers kicking in to inform you that an artillery is coming. You now have maybe 3-4 seconds to kick your mech into full throttle and waddle away. You desperately try to torso twist, but all you end up doing is taking full back damage and getting 1-shot.

Then 2 minutes later it happens all over again.

I've played against quite a few Long Tom, and I don't think I have ever seen someone outside a blazingly fast light that is purposefully pulling long tom on themselves outrun it.

You simply can't absorb the casualties Long Tom unleashes on your team unless you're a big successful premade and you organize wave after wave of suicide squads on the opponent. Even if we were wildly optimistic and we went from Long Tom typically killing half your team to Long Tom only killing 1/3 of your team it's a ridiculously difficult mountain to climb.

#31 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

I understand that they made this awesome stackpole explosion and want to show it as often as they can... but it is killing the gameplay.

I'd even be ok with long tom killing some mechs in the end; there should be a reward for scouting it out. But get some limits.

Obviously the cooldown should be higher, this should not start below 5 minutes minimum.

Drop zones should be safe zones, there is no game where spawn camping is fun.

And finally there should be a limit on kills. say the long dong silver has killed 5(or more) mechs in a match it should go offline. 5 mechs down is a huge help so it'll still be worth it but it is not an insta-win.

I have to say I enjoyed that last event, haven't played FW for a while until last week and even as a pug player scouting and invasion is fun. But the long tom implementation is just bullcrap and everyone who plays just one game with it agrees on that.

This is so obvious you really ask yourself is anyone of PGI playing their own game Posted Image

Edited by 627, 14 July 2016 - 02:33 AM.

#32 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

I still don't get the reason why they implemented the LT in the first place. To give the Scout mode a reason?

#33 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:41 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 13 July 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

I still don't get the reason why they implemented the LT in the first place. To give the Scout mode a reason?

Pretty much. Russ seems to have a ***** for big explosions. Let the bugger play against it once, so he will change his fickle mind.

#34 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:47 PM

so we went from instagibbed to merely being blasted to the point where you need to punch out and get a new mech. awesome.

#35 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:54 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 July 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

Russ should have just Tweeted "Yeah, not sure why any of you still play FW. If this doesn't shoe you how oblivious we are I'm not sure what will."

It would be a refreshing dose of honesty.

It's worse than that. They make FW just trash, but give enough rewards to get people to grind through it, leaving the group/solo ques empty. Group matches have been so **** through these never-ending FW events that I just started playing Division again. Time for another break from MWO.

#36 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

Well Long tom should hurt wher eit hits but alos should grant palyers a chance to run off some of its damage.

what needs a fix is LT hitting landing zones. That should just not happen when pilots are dropping from their dropships.

#37 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

Isn't Scouting the way to get the Long Tom and deny it for the other team? If so, don't invade/defend unless you have good scouts?

View PostLily from animove, on 14 July 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

Well Long tom should hurt wher eit hits but alos should grant palyers a chance to run off some of its damage.

what needs a fix is LT hitting landing zones. That should just not happen when pilots are dropping from their dropships.

Meh, beats getting killed at the landing zone by a mob of reds.

#38 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:47 AM

View PostYellonet, on 14 July 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

Isn't Scouting the way to get the Long Tom and deny it for the other team? If so, don't invade/defend unless you have good scouts?

Which is detrimental to FW queue. Not to mention that those who tend to get the LT are the stronger side, making the queue snowball even faster for the stronger side. Now imagine if Battle of Tukayyd event with scouting included. Once one side get LT, the queues will empty faster than people leaving Twin Towers.

#39 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:39 AM

View PostYellonet, on 14 July 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

Meh, beats getting killed at the landing zone by a mob of reds.

This is the theory, yes. But if you played the last event you can see how people and bigger units do this. First they scout with everyone and their moms till they hit 95% or so - after that, scout queue gets abandoned, only a handful stay there while the main force now rush the invasion mode. And those few left in scout queue are enough to keep it over 90% for at least an hour, more than enough time to scare off everyone who dares to defend that planet.

I saw 60+ defenders trying to scout back against only 10-12. So you won't get that 90% down in time.

And for the spawn camping, at least you can shoot back and your dropship can shoot back. Try knocking down that artillery shell...

Edited by 627, 14 July 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#40 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:41 AM

I see that you've graduated from being someone who just has terrible ideas, to being an outright shill. Congratulations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users