Lord Baconburger's Ecstatic Fantastic Gardening Thread

3 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Baconburger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDel Monte

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

When I'm not shooting my own team mates/nubs in the back or justifiably berating PGI like the salty European I am, I like to sit in my garden and contemplate deep existential questions like:

- If there are no aliens or supernatural forces, then why do I keep finding **** I put down on my table, upstairs under the bed?
- How many Cabbages could Lily Savage ravage, if Lily Savage could ravage Cabbages?
- Do I want to buy a mechpack?

As if Zeus had parted his buttcheeks, opened up his **** cavity and shat out a lightning bolt that pinged off my head, I got the bright idea that I want to do a spot of gardening in my own little Elysian field. That is, putting soil and seeds in a pot, water those fothermuckers and hope for the best.

Right now I have 2 Black Tomato plants that I've re-potted into one big container but think they need their own pot, and I'm about to plant some Wildflower seeds to help out the undervalued and, what I feel, the most needed buzzy buddy that is the Bumblebee and aid in the pollination of local agricultural areas and food stuffs. I've got a tray of mini pots to plant some herbs such as Rocket, Cress and Basil. I have a little walk-in greenhouse to house these babies. I'm also in the process of buying a raised bed(s) to grow some carrots, potatoes and any other good vegetables I can grow in my area.

So I wanted to start this thread, as there a few in my unit who grow herbs/vegetables, for anyone and everyone who want to talk all things agriculture/horticulture. Maybe post a few pics, maybe share some tips for new growers and exchange information on how to better get the best out of your crop. I never thought in my online gaming life, I'd be posting a thread like this, but this is one of the things that can happen when you get older; you start wanting to grow some ******* vegetables.

So here goes: is there anything that can be added to normal soil to make it richer, thus giving the plant a better chance of growing some quality produce?

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:46 AM

View PostLord Baconburger, on 14 July 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

- If there are no aliens or supernatural forces, then why do I keep finding **** I put down on my table, upstairs under the bed?

vermin, dementia?

- How many Cabbages could Lily Savage ravage, if Lily Savage could ravage Cabbages?

Who is Lily savage?

- Do I want to buy a mechpack?

Russ does.

yes go for wild flowers, nothing is more awesome to have butterflies and bumblebees around. It's what makes the garden alive.

But finding a random advice what to add to soil won't be a good idea. it depends onw hat you grow, differnt stuff needs different nutrients. I just know my grandpa and grandma were regulary digging the dung of he animals into the strawberries and generally itno the vegetable garden. Compostin stuff and using it to fertilize, well depends always on the ph value your earth has and your compost may add. You may find a lot industrial fertilizier but not sure if that is so nice at all. You coudl probably buy some veggie compost stuff available especially for vegetable fertilizing.

As a child my most favourite caterpillar was that one

Posted Image

they were sometimes on the carrots.

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 July 2016 - 12:48 AM.

#3 Lord Baconburger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDel Monte

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:46 PM

Google Lily Savage ;)

I agree with the wildflowers, really looking forward to having the bees buzzing around and knowing they're getting looked after! I think my Wildflowers are starting to come through, can see 2 little heads popping out in my pot tray. Rocket and Cress have already started to sprout, Basil is still yet to be seen.

Tomato plants, I'm really thinking to re-pot them into seperate pots, rather than the large container I have them in. The older one out of the two has a little tomato budding on the top of the plant, I was very worried about this one as the stalk has been damaged due to my idiocy. My Raspberry plant isn't doing anything as yet, hopefully I prepared it right before potting it so see what happens in the next few weeks!

My GF's auntie gave me some Epsom salts to put in the water as well to give it more nutrition. She said it'll be great for the tomato plants in particular. I'm not sure if I should be applying this every time I water the plants, so will do it once or twice a month or something to be on the safe side. Will definitely look into veggie compost too.

Still a noob to all this so whatever doesn't go well this year will go well the next after learning!

#4 Malavai Fletcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 143 posts
  • LocationErrrrr....C3?

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

The best homemade compost i have found is just pure grass cuttings,left for a year they make a better compost than anything you can buy from a shop.If you have a smallish lawn get a compost bin to let them rot in,if you have alot of grass scrounge some pallets and build a bigger square bin,its actually better to have at least 2 bins,that way you can turn one seasons cuttings into the empty bin(helps to make sure its all broken down) and then add the next seasons cuttings into the now empty bin.You should end up with a black crumbly compost that will make anything grow like its on steroids.

As for a liquid fertilizer to feed plants(especially toms)you cant beat tomorite,feed them once a week while watering them everyday.When i grow toms/peppers/chillis i get a good sized normal plastic pots and cut the bottoms off,then push the pots into growbags and plant into the pot,a growbag by itself doesn't have the depth for healthy root growth,adding the pots makes it ideal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users