Place Your Bets (Winner And Continuation)

105 replies to this topic

#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:22 AM

Edit2 Final winners.

Last three packs go to:

Ace Selin with a clean sweep of the the Kodiak-3, the Nova-S and the Arctic Cheetah-A.
La Jefa with the Kodiak-3 and the Summoner-Prime.
JJm1 calling the Warhawk-Prime.

Zieten, Gotshotalot and Rick Wildstar all picked the Kodiak-3 as well but I chose Jjm1 as the winner of the final pack because picking the Kodiak to be nerfed was like picking the sun to rise in the east in the morning.

Special thanks and a mech pack to Karmen Baric for reminding me that I had done this.

So Ace, La Jefa, Jjm1 and Karmen, PM me and let me know what you want.
If anyone knows these folks and sees them around please let them know what's up.

Thanks for playing all.

Edit:

With the patch notes we have an arguable nerfing of 5 mechs via increases in their UAC jam chances:

The Jagger DD, the Enforcer 5P, the Shadow Hawk 5M, and the Nova-B and the Warhawk-A.

The theme of my little contest below was to mock of the arbitrary nature of nerfs in this game, and PGI has not disappointed. These nerfs are a new special kind of WTH? By being so arbitrarily arbitrary only a single participant managed to identify a winning mech:

L3mming2 called out the Jagger DD for punishment. Congrats. If yu are still around, you get a mech pack.

However, in light of having budgeted for 5 winners, I am going to keep this going to the next nerf pass. More entries welcome, old entrants feel free to make new ones. I'll just ignore everything before post #72 from here on out. So please keep your guesses coming and remember PGI doesn't seem to have a clue of what mechs are problematic, imbalanced, being played or are even remotely "OP"...keep that in mind when you put up your entries.

Oh and PGI: Just bravo for this pass. It was a validation of everything I expect from you. So just a superb "well done". Despite the absurdity of it, I am sincerely thankful for the iterative nature of it. No giant leaps in any direction is appreciated. Finally a pat on the back for managing to not break anything for almost three months; well done.

End Edit.

A few people in discussing the incoming goodie crates mechanism have suggested that the mechanism is nothing more than gambling. In light of all the nerf passes over the last year, I for one, consider the purchase of mechs to be a gamble as well.

So in that spirit, I thought we might play a game of "guess the nerf". The rules:

You get three guesses as to which individual mech variant will be nerfed next.
If any one of your guesses comes to fruition in the next nerfing pass...lets limit this to a few months out and go out to November maybe end of the year? Surely they will nerf something between now and then? Anyway, if any one of your guesses are right I will buy you a basic mech pack of your choice.

Limit to 5 winners. If more than 5 people win, then in the spirit of the goodie crates and the dartboard of balance, I will choose winners at random.

The game is over the moment anyone from PGI lets slip any indication to "change" any mech in the game via any source (twitter, here, reedit etc.). I will trust that no one with inside information from PGI will participate.

Caveat: I don't see how this would be a tos or coc violation, but you never know around here. But if the thread is deleted I will assume that this little game is verboten and then all bets...I mean guesses...are cancelled and the game is done with no winners.

So to get things started, my three guesses are:
There will be a nerf to the Grasshopper 5P.
There will be a nerf to the Cataphract IM.
There will be a nerf to the Hunchback 4SP

So place your bets! I mean, give me your guesses.
Those are my guesses. Yours?

Edited by Bud Crue, 11 November 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#2 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:25 AM

Anything you have bought will be nerfed before the next flavor of the month comes out.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Tryhards buy all the new flavors knowing that if they don't their scores will suffer.

Thats the system. Bred in the best Edward Bernays could teach. Now be a good consumer and consume.

#3 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:25 AM

My guess is that all 5 winners will be PGI employees ;)

#4 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

My bet is that PGI wins... You are giving them money.

Why are you running a contest that gives them money?

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

HBK-4G
CN9-D
ON1-K

because they are top Meta contenders, obviously, so PGI must nerf them.

#6 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

Wow guys, the OP is trying to do something fun, and you just poo poo all over it? Seriously? Do you ever think "maybe I shouldn't comment on this thread" when you have nothing important to contribute to the thread?

My guess for the nerf contest:
1. Ebon Jaguar Prime (will receive similar nerfs to Stormcrow and Timerwolf mobility)
2. Dragonfly Prime mobililty nerfs (will get cut in half)
3. Hunchback 4SP - someone's going to notice the ridiculous CT and ST structure

Edited by Agent1190, 18 July 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

1. Battlemaster-2C.

2. Blackjack-1.

3. Hunchback-4SP.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 July 2016 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

View PostAgent1190, on 18 July 2016 - 06:34 AM, said:

Wow guys, the OP is trying to do something fun, and you just poo poo all over it? Seriously? Do you ever think "maybe I shouldn't comment on this thread" when you have nothing important to contribute to the thread?

My guess for the nerf contest:
1. Ebon Jaguar (will receive similar nerfs to Stormcrow and Timerwolf mobility)
2. Dragonfly mobililty nerfs (will get cut in half)
3. Hunchback 4SP - someone's going to notice the ridiculous CT and ST structure

Another one who misses the point of "General Discussion"

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:38 AM

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 18 July 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

My guess is that all 5 winners will be PGI employees Posted Image

If they are that lame...well I guess I will take my chances.

View PostRussianWolf, on 18 July 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

My bet is that PGI wins... You are giving them money.

Why are you running a contest that gives them money?

I promised to spend real $ (the words I used were "throw money at you") if we ever got saved drop decks. I will honor my word and this is how I am doing it.

#10 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 18 July 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

I promised to spend real $ (the words I used were "throw money at you") if we ever got saved drop decks. I will honor my word and this is how I am doing it.

same company that has said..." we do not want or need your input".... you are giving that company money? okay.

View PostAgent1190, on 18 July 2016 - 06:34 AM, said:

What I said is very important... When they don't want or need our input, then they don't want or need our cash either. At least as far as I'm concerned.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

My guesses:
  • ARC-2R Archer
  • STK-4N Stalker
  • RFL-3N Rifleman

#12 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:50 AM

Trebuchet 7K is clearly the next, I found a marginally effective configuration that is not a missile boat.

Then Centurion AH and Centurion AL.

Edited by EvilCow, 18 July 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#13 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

1. Warhammer 7D
2. Marauder 5M
3. Griffin 2N

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 18 July 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

same company that has said..." we do not want or need your input".... you are giving that company money? okay.

Let me be clear, as the tone of my OP may have been lost. My point for this contest is to illustrate the absurdity of the goodie crates "randomness" as well as the similar nature of balance and the use of quirks in this game. It is all silly and absurdly random. Anyone playing my little game is implicitly acknowledging that as well as the expectation that PGI will continue ruining things we like. Nonetheless I am not about to stop playing so I may as well have some fun with the absurdity.

Also I said I would spend if PGI did what I asked. They held up their end of the bargain (Yes they have f-ed up so many other things in the process, but that is here nor there), so I will hold up mine regardless of how big a jerk I think Russ and his "we don't need your input" attitude is.

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:58 AM

OK...ok... I'll go a bit off the wall.

*Phoenix Hawk 1B
*Catapult Jester
*King Crab 000B

#16 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:58 AM

they should just start implementing a "handicap" system, as opposed to the "quirk" system.

**** it, the locust now spawns with an enemy narc already attached at the beginning of the match.

The jager now has its guns oriented backwards, so that you have to aim from the back of your mech.

#17 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostDillion Harper, on 18 July 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

they should just start implementing a "handicap" system, as opposed to the "quirk" system.

**** it, the locust now spawns with an enemy narc already attached at the beginning of the match.

The jager now has its guns oriented backwards, so that you have to aim from the back of your mech.

Ha!
Don't worry, those will probably be "features" of Solaris (if that ever happens).

#18 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 18 July 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

Let me be clear, as the tone of my OP may have been lost. My point for this contest is to illustrate the absurdity of the goodie crates "randomness" as well as the similar nature of balance and the use of quirks in this game. It is all silly and absurdly random. Anyone playing my little game is implicitly acknowledging that as well as the expectation that PGI will continue ruining things we like. Nonetheless I am not about to stop playing so I may as well have some fun with the absurdity.

Also I said I would spend if PGI did what I asked. They held up their end of the bargain (Yes they have f-ed up so many other things in the process, but that is here nor there), so I will hold up mine regardless of how big a jerk I think Russ and his "we don't need your input" attitude is.

sorry, but a bargain implies that both sides came to terms. You had no bargain. That PGI did something you desired was just a coincidence. And the fact that what you desired wasn't even content.... is why it was delivered. To me the absurdity is that you are giving them $20 even when you know the things you listed.

Edited by RussianWolf, 18 July 2016 - 07:36 AM.

#19 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

Why not a game of "Guess the Buff!"?

#20 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

My three guesses:
  • CN9-D: Because I just bought one, and they seem to be toning down big weapon quirks.
  • TBT5J: See above, except I haven't bought one
  • GRF-3M: It's overperforming right now.

Well, I hope not, but there they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users