Two Features For Increased Monetization And Improved Gameplay

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Virtual Servers and Mech Variants (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the proposed features

1. Yes (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (6 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. I want to comment (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:44 AM

My humble suggestion regarding two features that should be appreciated by both PGI and community:

1 - Dedicated Servers

Well, not really servers, imagine something like "persistent lobbies" with a name, listed into a dedicated "list of servers" in the game GUI.

- Servers would be "virtual" like lobbies but "persistent", always listed.
- The unit owning the server can assign admin power using the ranks mechanism.
- The unit would pay a monthly fee in MCs for the server.
- Owners will have full freedom of settings.
- When an owner is not present the server will run a predefined cycle of maps/modes.
- The servers could be open to everybody, private or on invitation.
- Games played on servers would not influence stats, leaderboards nor grant XPs.
- All game modes available, including FP modes.
- Additional settings: clan vs is, only IS, only clan, 3025 tech only... etc

I think most unit will want to have a named lobby because prestige and ease of training. Leagues may want to have servers too in order to organize their games. Price could be around 10000MC per month for a virtual server.

2 - Alternate Variants

Imagine being able to buy a "field variant kit" for your mech. A "variant" would be a partial customization of your mech that can be selected after the map is known before the drop is started.
A variant would not be a full customization, it would be limited to:
- Camo
- Weapons (I would not allow swap of BIG weapons: LPLs, PPCs, AC10, AC20, Gauss, LRM15, LRM20)
- Heat Sinks
- Modules
- Jets (not omnimech)
- Omnipods (omnimechs only)
- Electronic Pods

It would not allow to change:
- Engine size and type
- Structure type
- Armor type
- Armor distribution
- Heat Sinks type

The variant is a field kit that technicians can quickly swap on a mech not a full customization. A variant slot would cost like a mech bay, 300 MC. Each mech could have up to 4 variants including the base one. Equipment placed on variants is permanently allocated, not taken from the inventory when the variant is used.

The business for PGI is clear, players will want to have variants of their preferred mechs.

Edited by EvilCow, 25 July 2016 - 01:39 AM.

#2 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:48 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 25 July 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

My humble suggestion regarding two features that should be appreciated by both PGI and community:

1 - Dedicated Servers

Well, not really servers, imagine something like "persistent lobbies" with a name, listed into a dedicated "list of servers" in the game GUI.

- Servers would be "virtual" like lobbies but "persistent", always listed.
- The unit owning the server can assign admin power using the ranks mechanism.
- The unit would pay a monthly fee in MCs for the server.
- Owners will have full freedom of settings.
- When an owner is not present the server will run a predefined cycle of maps/modes.
- The servers could be open to everybody, private or on invitation.
- Games played on servers would not influence stats, leaderboards nor grant XPs.
- All game modes available, including FP modes.
- Additional settings: clan vs is, only IS, only clan, 3025 tech only... etc

I think most unit will want to have a named lobby because prestige and ease of training. Leagues may want to have servers too in order to organize their games. Price could be around 10000MC per month for a virtual server.

2 - Alternate Variants

Imagine being able to buy a "field variant kit" for your mech. A "variant" would be a partial customization of your mech that can be selected after the map is known before the drop is started.
A variant would not be a full customization, it would be limited to:
- Camo
- Weapons (I would not allow swap of BIG weapons: LPLs, PPCs, AC10, AC20, Gauss, LRM15, LRM20)
- Heat Sinks
- Modules
- Jets (not omnimech)
- Omnipods (omnimechs only)
- Electronic Pods

It would not allow to change:
- Engine size and type
- Structure type
- Armor type
- Armor distribution
- Heat Sinks type

The variant is a field kit that technicians can quickly swap on a mech not a full customization. A variant slot would cost like a mech bay, 300 MC. Each mech could have up to 4 variants including the base one. Equipment placed on variants is permanently allocated, not taken from the inventory when the variant is used.

The business for PGI is clear, players will want to have variants of their preferred mechs.

Unfortunately I can only like once so here's more: Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like! Like!

Frag, that'll be quite change! I'll take that for a dollar! Seriously: It's a brilliant idea with probably a thousand issues to fix first and probably another thousand issues I can't think of but the prospect is genius.

- You could create private arenas
- Better ping times

And don't get me started on the field kits. Stranded on polar in plain dark camo stuck with short range weaponry? Fieldkits will take off the edge. And it would make map change way more relaxed since I could adapt a little better. I would probably go down on the variants though unless it would lock a part from your inventory when you pack it into a field kit as if you would put it into a mech in the first place. You could probably even charge a little CBill fee for every change.

Again: Like! Like! Like!

#3 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

The dedicated servers would be an outstanding way for PGI to earn "subscribers" and a reason for people to "subscribe" totally agree with you on that. 100%

The variant thing, is really just another argument to be allowed to swap your SPL for LRM when you get polar, or your PPC for UAC5 when on terra therma. Honestly not a bad argument, pick your map first, mech second. No pilot in his right mind is bringing something like a nova with 10 er medium lasers for a brawl in a volcano. But if that is your argument, then that should be your argument.
The variation thing is like turning one mech into two, which even if you paid for the variant, would prevent you from paying for the extra mech, which prevents you from filling up your mechbays, which prevents you from buying more mechbays. Financially speaking this would only be feasible if the variant thing costs more MC than a mechbay itself so as to include the cbill cost of the mech you no longer have to buy.
Edit: Have we thought about making an uncapped Dropdeck for Quick Play? Select 4 mechs of any weight or tech put them into your "Drop Ship", click on "Quick Play", find a server, vote for a map, pick your 'mech, blow things up, cry about teamwork, gg, and repeat. This has a downside though as well, as it would make it harder to line up games where the team weights are similar. Just a hair brained Idea I had sitting here.

But dedicated servers! yes! #PGIpls

Edited by Brody, 28 July 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#4 Ooorky

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:51 AM

1. BS.

2. Omnimech's main advantage in the canon, that they can change omnipods quickly, so unlike Battlemechs they can be fitted for battle, but their sophisticated build doesn't allow field customization, like replacing weapons in the omnipods.
But PGI ****** it up, making Omnimech variants pointless, because every Hellbringer mount the effing ECM omnipod, no matter which version is it originally.

Allowing only Prime variants to be bought, and more expensive omnipods, with the ability to change them at the battle start screen would be much better.

This would allow the (maybe) incoming IS omnis to have some advantage over the overquirked mechs already in the game.

#5 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:38 PM

View PostOoorky, on 30 July 2016 - 01:51 AM, said:

1. BS.

2. Omnimech's main advantage in the canon, that they can change omnipods quickly, so unlike Battlemechs they can be fitted for battle, but their sophisticated build doesn't allow field customization, like replacing weapons in the omnipods.
But PGI ****** it up, making Omnimech variants pointless, because every Hellbringer mount the effing ECM omnipod, no matter which version is it originally.

Allowing only Prime variants to be bought, and more expensive omnipods, with the ability to change them at the battle start screen would be much better.

This would allow the (maybe) incoming IS omnis to have some advantage over the overquirked mechs already in the game.

what?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users